Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brannan)
    Just never start it with 'Ever since...'!

Oh the cheese!
    how about
    'when i grow up..
    followed by
    'i wanna be a star i wanna be in movies'

thats how i started mine

ReputationRep:
    loool.

good one

ReputationRep:
    My Personal statement was fine however not good enough to be shortlisted for interview so far,But then again i did apply for a highley competitive degree and will most likely be going through Ucas extra in feb 2009 and will find out next week if i have been rejected at two more universities or been shortlisted for interview aww well.:no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZakBrannigan)
    My Personal statement was fine however not good enough to be shortlisted for interview so far,But then again i did apply for a highley competitive degree and will most likely be going through Ucas extra in feb 2009 and will find out next week if i have been rejected at two more universities or been shortlisted for interview aww well.:no:
    :console: Aww mate. I hope things don't go as you predict, good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZakBrannigan)
    All the best with that man. I am terrified of getting no offers, I don't even want to think about that.

What do we do if we get no offers? what are the chances of getting a place through clearing etc?

ReputationRep:
    I've known people to get places at Oxford through clearing! Anything is possible... but Clearing really should be your last resort right?

Have faith guys!

ReputationRep:
    I've known people to get places at Oxford through clearing! Anything is possible... but Clearing really should be your last resort right?

Have faith guys!
    That's crazy, how do you get a place at Oxford through Clearing? Clearing is usually for people who've missed their grades and Oxford doesn't accept less than three A's... and the places provided by Clearing are there because people have missed their grades (like a giant re-shuffle), so why would Oxford give a place out to someone they've never met with AAB or ABB when they could give it to someone they've interviewed and given an offer to but got AAB to ABB? I believe you that it happened but, still... mucho strange...!

Clearing confuses me.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I understand about Clearing etc, is that its all the places where people didn't meet the conditions of their offers? Thus, there are spaces left on the course that the universities need to fill... People who get offers from Oxbridge can fluff their exams too

ReputationRep:
    I've known people to get places at Oxford through clearing!
    Have you? Oxford doesn't enter clearing, and says so on its website: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...ply/index.html

ReputationRep:
    As far as I understand about Clearing etc, is that its all the places where people didn't meet the conditions of their offers? Thus, there are spaces left on the course that the universities need to fill... People who get offers from Oxbridge can fluff their exams too
    I know that :rolleyes: , but what I meant was, if people miss their grades having got their offer from Oxford, they'll ring up and *might* still get accepted - that isn't going through Clearing. And if Oxford don't accept students who they've interviewed and miss their grades, why would they accept students that they haven't interviewed through Clearing?

Does that make sense?

Ah heck, it doesn't really matter, but to the original person asking about Clearing: having read the Clearings supplement in the papers last year (just out of morbid interest in case I needed to know this year...), there are very good unis available through Clearing; it's to their advantage to fill the spaces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Have you? Oxford doesn't enter clearing, and says so on its website: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...ply/index.html
    Oh right, well it was a few years ago... in my eldest sisters year, so applying back in 2005. I doubt they've changed their policy on clearing since then, but that's what I heard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoVis)
    I know that :rolleyes: , but what I meant was, if people miss their grades having got their offer from Oxford, they'll ring up and *might* still get accepted - that isn't going through Clearing.
    Ahhh, this is probably what happened then!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, this is probably what happened then!
    Cool. Apparently KCL are quite nice for doing that sort of thing too; I've heard of a few people missing their grades on results day, ringing them up and being told they can still come.

Clearing and Extra are both good options, and not necessarily a mark of a bad candidate either; a friend of mine last year, a really smart guy, ended up applying for a uni through Extra because he just hadn't been picked up in the first 'phase'.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, well it was a few years ago...
    :no: No it wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said before, it was probably the scenario that HoVis suggested...

ReputationRep:
    I remember applying for Uni many moons ago with a PS that I read now and my eyes bleed (my newest fave internet phrase!) but would you believe I got offers for all 3 Uni applied for. This time round, I have gone from going through the process not really sure if it is the right route to take to now REALLY taking it seriously. I have reworked my PS more times than I care to count. Submitted to the PS helper and that was tres useful - I would say an objective opinion is the way to go for sure - I tweaked some more and I am close to the end and thankfully there is light there!

Will get it checked on Monday by Careers person at college, get tutor's opinion and set it free! I know that I will definitely get 1 offer (course leader actually sent me a personal letter after the open day!) but it would be nice to get more than that...a couple of interviews in addition to the offer would be great. So, nerves all around :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Just get it done with no obvious howlers and send it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalmonkey)
    I remember applying for Uni many moons ago with a PS that I read now and my eyes bleed (my newest fave internet phrase!) but would you believe I got offers for all 3 Uni applied for.
    The vast majority of people at who have been through uni or are a good way through look back on their personal statement and cringe from the very core of their inner being. Doesn't mean it's crap, just that you've moved on and are in a different place with a new perspective.

And probably a better vocabulary.

Actually, they probably cringe about most things they did at 18. I, for one, was a total muppet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barry Chuckle)
    All the best with that man. I am terrified of getting no offers, I don't even want to think about that.

What do we do if we get no offers? what are the chances of getting a place through clearing etc?
    Thanks M8 all the best with your application as well.I realised i was upagainst it but so far no interviews and two unsucessfuls so far,there is always extra i suppose in February 2008.I got a place through clearing in the 2008 application cycle and it was defered until 2009 but decided not to take it up as i was restricting my choices.I am sure u will get offers m8.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoVis)
    :console: Aww mate. I hope things don't go as you predict, good luck!!
    Thanks HoVis its appreciated but a lot of people on a different forum are getting interviews and places for midwifery whereas me havnt been even shortlisted.I remain postive about it all.good luck with your application as well:yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.