Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

maybe i should have got B's and C's Watch

keep as anon please

i'm so angry, bitter, jealous. i'm all over the place. i'm so depressed, worried, upset and just generally feeling like absolute **** right now. what is the point in trying any more? i worked my arse off to get the grades i got in june and had to make a lot of sacrifices by moving sixth forms to isolate myself from any distractions. i did well and it's not paying off at all. i've applied for medicine at university and i haven't heard a thing and all my friends who got B's and C's in biology and chemistry have interviews already. i've put on a brave face and wished them well and said the whole good luck and congrats thing and it's like as if i'll never get the chance they've got. i put my heart into my personal statement and i dedicated so much of my time for voluntary work and placements and it hasn't paid off. i feel like i've wasted everything - wasted my time, my effort - i can't bring myself to focus on A2. i'm going to end up failing this year because i can't concentrate. i already got a letter home about my end of term assessment with chemistry which i got an E in despite getting an A at the end of AS. i'm just so annoyed and jealous, i know it's really rude and cocky to say this but how can they get interviews and i haven't? some of them are doing it for the wrong reasons too, it's just hurts me inside because i've tried so hard and i want this so much. i care so much and it feels like everything i've achieved and want to achieve counts for nothing. yes, it's still early but in lessons i'm getting stick from some people who keep reminding me that they've got offers and name drop people who have interviews and quesiton why i don't? what am i supposed to say? i can't say anything, they've already judged me. they have their own opinion of me. i don't know who to talk to about this. my friends don't care. they're too self absorbed with their own application and current affairs to even bother or ask how i'm keeping up.

i tried to talk to my family about this but they're not helping at all. my family are religious christians so they keep on telling me to leave it to the hands of god. this annoys the crap out of me because it's in the hands of the bloody admissions tutor, not god. they don't understand that i could get rejected without interview. they don't understand how i feel like i'm not good enough even though i've been told i am. my sister takes any opportunity to call me a failure and remind me that i will never get an interview and will always be a failure (she's 21 btw). i don't know what to do, i'm so annoyed and hurt. i just want to cry. my heart actually aches. i thought i'd never be emotional or bother myself about applying to uni but so far it's just torment.

ReputationRep:
    Give it a bit of time you never know. Remember it is early November and some people I knew didn't get interview letters till late January.

I know what it is like to try so hard and then results come out and you get a nasty shock. For example my RS coursework was estimated a B and when results day came I got a D on the coursework and was so mad and upset as people who didn't make as much effort and was estimated much lower came out with higher grades than me.

THings always work out in the end and though you may not see it now this time next year you would be wondering what was all the fuss about. (I do sometimes)

ReputationRep:
    Medicine applications take longer. I think most hear back around or after Chirstmas.

ReputationRep:
    I hate to be harsh, because I really do understand how frustrating it is just waiting for that letter in the post for an interview, especially after I had a rejection before I finally got that interview letter. But it really is early in the day, and there is a long time to wait yet.

Its the most annoying thing in the world, but one university last year waited to reject me on March 31st-so not hearing anything by November the 12th does not mean you are not going to get in.

Concentrate on your studies, relax a little and Im sure you will hear december onwards.

ReputationRep:
    hey don't worry it really depends on which medical school you applied to some havent even started giving out interviews yet...Fact is if your friends have B's and C's they have only made it harder for themselves to get in and they will get an offer and fail to get the grades and all of the hard work to get in will be in vain. But seriously you cant let this get you down, get your grades back up and work your arse off because if you fail to get grades this year there is pretty much no chance of getting in next year but if you get them then you can apply as many times as you like until you get in!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    keep as anon please

i'm so angry, bitter, jealous. i'm all over the place. i'm so depressed, worried, upset and just generally feeling like absolute **** right now. what is the point in trying any more? i worked my arse off to get the grades i got in june and had to make a lot of sacrifices by moving sixth forms to isolate myself from any distractions. i did well and it's not paying off at all. i've applied for medicine at university and i haven't heard a thing and all my friends who got B's and C's in biology and chemistry have interviews already. i've put on a brave face and wished them well and said the whole good luck and congrats thing and it's like as if i'll never get the chance they've got. i put my heart into my personal statement and i dedicated so much of my time for voluntary work and placements and it hasn't paid off. i feel like i've wasted everything - wasted my time, my effort - i can't bring myself to focus on A2. i'm going to end up failing this year because i can't concentrate. i already got a letter home about my end of term assessment with chemistry which i got an E in despite getting an A at the end of AS. i'm just so annoyed and jealous, i know it's really rude and cocky to say this but how can they get interviews and i haven't? some of them are doing it for the wrong reasons too, it's just hurts me inside because i've tried so hard and i want this so much. i care so much and it feels like everything i've achieved and want to achieve counts for nothing. yes, it's still early but in lessons i'm getting stick from some people who keep reminding me that they've got offers and name drop people who have interviews and quesiton why i don't? what am i supposed to say? i can't say anything, they've already judged me. they have their own opinion of me. i don't know who to talk to about this. my friends don't care. they're too self absorbed with their own application and current affairs to even bother or ask how i'm keeping up.

i tried to talk to my family about this but they're not helping at all. my family are religious christians so they keep on telling me to leave it to the hands of god. this annoys the crap out of me because it's in the hands of the bloody admissions tutor, not god. they don't understand that i could get rejected without interview. they don't understand how i feel like i'm not good enough even though i've been told i am. my sister takes any opportunity to call me a failure and remind me that i will never get an interview and will always be a failure (she's 21 btw). i don't know what to do, i'm so annoyed and hurt. i just want to cry. my heart actually aches. i thought i'd never be emotional or bother myself about applying to uni but so far it's just torment.
    The poster above me makes a good point OP. I knew someone last year who got interview after interview, followed by offer after offer whilst I was sitting here with nothing. She got 4 offers and I only got 2 by comparison- but come results day I made my offers and she missed both her insurance and her firm- (technically she would have missed all 4)

All you need is one offer...make sure you get those grades as I said before. And try not to concentrate too much on what other people are doing especially other medical applicants, its not some magic unimaginable process that they go through, but like anything it takes time.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    This happned to me last year. My mates with D and C grades (but C/B predictions just cos they asked their personal tutor's nicely to change them), were getting all five offers, and I was the only person in my college that had took 4 AS Levels, and I carried them onto A2 too, and yet I got three rejections, and took ages to hear about any offers!!

Don't worry though, you will get offers in the end. It's still early days

ReputationRep:
    Start to feel worried in April. For medicine, these are early days...

For now just chill, WORK HARD

TRUST me on this - I applied and didn't have interviews around this time. I didn't have offers until months after the new year, either - and I didn't focus on my work - like you I flopped during A2, obsessing about unis and interviews and ethics etc. Totally forgetting the importance of studying for As, whether or not you get in this cycle, they are invaluable if you REALLY passionately want to do medicine eventually. And I am paying the price now, having to reapply, because I didn't get the grades.... It will come, it just takes time, patience... and most of all, do well in your A-levels no matter whether you get an offer or not. You can ALWAYS reapply, we are young and motivated folk

ReputationRep:
    OP stop being childish. all us medical applicants are going through the same thing, some for the second or third time. we're all in the same boat, and have all got great grades and worked hard

you're being a pain in the arse

ReputationRep:
    So you're angry that your firends who got Bs and C are getting interviews and you're not because you're getting As? In otherwords you feel you should be getting the interviews instead because you're better than them?

Not a great attitude to have there...

ReputationRep:
    It's November, of course you haven't heard anything!! Calm down.

Last year I didn't hear anything til December, and after that not until the end of February and I ended up with 3 interviews (no offers but that's cos I was crap at interviews, evidently). As for your sister, try and ignore her (I realise easier said than done), plus what right does she have to call you a failure? Until she gets a place in medical school she can shove off. (unless she is in medical school in which case she can also shove off).

ReputationRep:
    The above comments were just unnecessary. I suggest you just get on with your work and try not to think too much about it or you could just ruin it for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Being bitter won't make the time go any quicker. Focus on what you can control in that you can still get good grades. So what if they have had interviews or even offer? I didn't find out about Southampton until the end of march and it killed me in hindsight but its part of the process. It hasn't even been a month since they got your UCAS form you need to try and step back from this otherwise it will drive you mad.

Their grades don't reflect their ability to do medicine, just their ability to do A levels. Maybe their application is stronger than yours in other ways. Or maybe they aren't and your time will come.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing you can do about it. And if the worst happens and you don't get any offers you'll need those three A's to reapply with, so just focus on work and preparing for interviews.
    • Section Leader
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Try to stay calm. As other have said it isn't unusual not to have heard anything by this stage. I didn't get my first interview invite until just before christmas and my last one until april. The most important thing that you can do now is focus on getting the best grades that you can.

ReputationRep:
    no offense, but if you feel like you've wasted your time and effort by preparing for medical school, then maybe medicine isn't for you.

i'm in a similar boat, had decent AS grades, did a lot of work experience, worked hard on my personal statement... some of my mates have gotten offers who didn't score nearly so highly etc and I've already had a rejection.

am I pissed off? hell no. NOTHING is a wasted experience - we can learn from everything! I LOVED the preparation for my application and the voluntary work and all the rest, even though it was extremely time consuming... and to be honest, even if I get all rejections, I won't resent having done any of it in the slightest!

will just try and relax in my year off, do the things I want to do, get some more work experience and then try again next time. if I'm still unlucky then I might just accept that I'm not cut out to be a doctor.

either way, it's a really bad idea to take too seriously. if you get this stressed over every deciding point in your career... then good luck in the years to come my friend!

ReputationRep:
    dont be so silly OP, you've still plenty of chance of getting offers, mine came quite late on in the process and i was actually happy for my friends getting offers.. nervous yes.. but still.. As for an E in chemistry - with an A at AS, you'd be hard pressed to get an E in A2 really. Unless you actually didn't write a thing in the exam papers or something - you do know than an A in AS is usually already equal to an E in A2? count up your UMS points and work out what grade you need to get in each of your new modules to get the grade you want - you maybe surprised.

In the mean time stop moping about and get on with your work - otherwise if and when you DO get an offer, you're gonna miss it.

ReputationRep:
    who really cares? uni aint the be all and end all of life, nor is academica? the sooner people realise that the better.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think about it, you can't change anything by complaining. Just focus on your work. I know plenty of people who got most of their offers/interviews in Jan. It's too early to be stressing out. Keep putting in the effort and it will pay off.

Most people applying for Medicine are going through the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    FFS. Get over yourself. If something as minor as this can piss you off so much, then maybe you need to reconsider if you're ready for uni and a career in medicine. You can't go into such a demanding path as this with that attitude- you wouldn't make it through the door. And as for being jealous at your friends for achieving something... that's pretty low. What makes you think you are more deserving of a future than they are? Some letters on a paper? How can you judge their reasons and say yours are better? Come on, that's ridiculous.

You're obviously a clever person, so don't let pettiness and jealousy make you ignorant. And as others have said it's only Nov 12! You have months to go... wait till you graduate and are looking for a job. Now that's something to throw a hissy about.

Good luck with your application. Just fricking relax. You only need one offer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.