The Student Room Group

career change

I am a civil engineering student in my 4th/last year of university as apart of an apprenticeship scheme. once I am finished I am very interested in becoming a mechanical engineer as I always enjoyed it more. however I am finding difficult to imagine going back to university for another 3 to 4 years. is there a course that allows me to use my civil engineering degree to pursue mechanical engineering maybe as like a masters or post grad course with less university time or will I have to get stuck in with another 4 years of work?
Original post by oliverfj28
I am a civil engineering student in my 4th/last year of university as apart of an apprenticeship scheme. once I am finished I am very interested in becoming a mechanical engineer as I always enjoyed it more. however I am finding difficult to imagine going back to university for another 3 to 4 years. is there a course that allows me to use my civil engineering degree to pursue mechanical engineering maybe as like a masters or post grad course with less university time or will I have to get stuck in with another 4 years of work?

If you have a civil engineering BEng there are likely mechanical engineering related MSc degrees that you could gain entry to. However, what specifically within mechanical engineering is it that you prefer?
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
If you have a civil engineering BEng there are likely mechanical engineering related MSc degrees that you could gain entry to. However, what specifically within mechanical engineering is it that you prefer?

Could do that but to be CEng with IMechE may need 4 year MEng or 3 year BEng + 1 year MSc accredited by IMechE.
Original post by 161BMW
Could do that but to be CEng with IMechE may need 4 year MEng or 3 year BEng + 1 year MSc accredited by IMechE.

A degree accredited by any engineering institute will be sufficient for IMechE chartership.
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
A degree accredited by any engineering institute will be sufficient for IMechE chartership.

So even if you did MEng in electrical and electronic engineering you can apply for CEng with IMechE ? I don’t think so.
Original post by 161BMW
So even if you did MEng in electrical and electronic engineering you can apply for CEng with IMechE ? I don’t think so.

Yes sure.

https://www.imeche.org/membership-registration/become-a-member/academic-requirements

"If your primary qualification is Accredited by us or Accredited by another UK professional engineering Institution you will have already met part or all of the benchmark academic requirements for becoming an IEng or CEng."

Remember Chartership is a professional qualification and as such your degree - provided it is accredited by someone - doesn't really matter.
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
Yes sure.

https://www.imeche.org/membership-registration/become-a-member/academic-requirements

"If your primary qualification is Accredited by us or Accredited by another UK professional engineering Institution you will have already met part or all of the benchmark academic requirements for becoming an IEng or CEng."

Remember Chartership is a professional qualification and as such your degree - provided it is accredited by someone - doesn't really matter.

It seems pretty strange because even if someone did Civil Eng or EEE to MEng they wouldn’t be able to get a job designing engines etc as a Mechanical Engineer irrespective of them having CEng or not.
Original post by 161BMW
It seems pretty strange because even if someone did Civil Eng or EEE to MEng they wouldn’t be able to get a job designing engines etc as a Mechanical Engineer irrespective of them having CEng or not.

Not every mechanical engineer designs engines (or other mechanical parts). The IMechE is a fairly broad church, not limited to people working in traditional mechanical design or manufacturing roles.
Original post by Smack
Not every mechanical engineer designs engines (or other mechanical parts). The IMechE is a fairly broad church, not limited to people working in traditional mechanical design or manufacturing roles.

Aye, I work in medical device R&D and all our Bioengineers who studied a medical or bio engineering masters and above gain CEng status from the IMechE.

Once you’re in industry with some experience behind you, roles can be flexible. We have design engineers with medical eng degrees and bio engineers with mechanical degrees.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending