Turn on thread page Beta

stupid question i know... quick bit of help please: brightness of a bulb watch

ReputationRep:
    what determines the brightness of a bulb?

i know it is a stupid question and i really ought to know the answer....

i think it is power and P = IV, but which of the current or the p.d. affects the brightness.

This is in the context of a potential divider circuit. So if the bulb is in parallel with one of the resistors, and the resistance of that resistor increases, the pd across the bulb gets bigger, so the current gets smaller. Does the bulb get brighter or dimmer?

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    anyone.....?

ReputationRep:
    Because the bulb and the resistor are in parallel, if the resistance of the resistor increases the combined resistance of the resistor and bulb will increase:

\frac {1}{Rtot} = \frac {1}{R1} + \frac {1}{R2} (For resistors in parallel)

So if the resistance increases the current will drop, V will stay the same (your input voltage) and the power decreases.

The bulb will dim.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 14, 2008

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.