The Student Room Group

Geography Degree without Geography A level

So I've always loved Geography but because of me switching colleges I wasn't able to do Geography A level because it was full so i just sort of moved on. But now im thinking about applying to uni and im considering doing a Geography Degree - in BA geog or Human Geog as that is what i really enjoy. I've looked and some unis don't require a Geography A level which seems like good news to me but even without it will i still stand a chance? I know geography isnt the most popular subject but i do not want to apply if i dont have a massive chance. Also would it be a massive learning curve to go in without the A level?
My current A levels predicted are:
Eng Lit - A
Classical Civillisation - A*
Religious Studies - A*
and I've done an EPQ (not Geog related)
And i got a 9 in geography at GCSE
I'm considering Unis like Sheffield, York and Lancaster.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by daisy8321
So I've always loved Geography but because of me switching colleges I wasn't able to do Geography A level because it was full so i just sort of moved on. But now im thinking about applying to uni and im considering doing a Geography Degree - in BA geog or Human Geog as that is what i really enjoy. I've looked and some unis don't require a Geography A level which seems like good news to me but even without it will i still stand a chance? I know geography isnt the most popular subject but i do not want to apply if i dont have a massive chance. Also would it be a massive learning curve to go in without the A level?
Eng Lit - A
Religious Studies - A*

Hi @daisy8321

Like you said, many BA Geography courses don't require geography A level, and although you aren't studying it now, the A levels you are doing all share themes and skills relevant to human geography. This is what Lancaster for example says under entry requirements for BA Geography and BA Human Geography:

'Required Subjects A level Geography is recommended, or alternatively one of the following subjects: Anthropology, Classics, Economics, English Literature, History, Philosophy, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology, World Development.'

I don't study Geography myself, so I can't tell you how much A level content is expected and relevant to the course, however if this is something you are worried about, it's worth having a look through the A level specification and doing a bit of research. Wider reading and other super-curricular activities related to your subject are always good ways to get explore your interests and would be a great way to evidence your passion for geography in your personal statement :smile:

I hope this helps,
Yasmin (Lancaster University student ambassador)
(edited 1 year ago)
Do-able.

Many Unis dont ask for Geog A level - Sussex as one example : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/search?q=geography
And if they dont insist on it then it isnt needed.

Just make sure you knw enough about Geog at higher level to write a convincing PS - you will need some relevant topics to discuss - these MOOCs (short free online courses) might be useful -
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/sustainability
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/gender-and-labour-in-the-global-south
etc
Original post by daisy8321
Eng Lit - A
Religious Studies - A*
And i got a 9 in geography at GCSE

Hiya @daisy8321

You don't need to have studied A level Geography to do Geography BA at the University of Sheffield!

Here is the link to the entry requirements for Geography: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2023/geography-ba#entryreqs

I studied Geography BA at Sheffield and found that although some topics were similar to those studied in A Level Geography, the large majority was new for every student. The transferable skills you will have learnt in the A Levels you've chosen will definitely help you in a Geography degree and topics you might have studied during your A levels such as literature, politics as well as history are all covered to some extent in BA Geography

In your first term of first year, there is an introductory module to Human Geography which will give each student a base knowledge of the core themes of BA Geography as each student will have had a different experience of Geography before university

Modules later in the degree cover topics such as: geopolitics and international relations; the making of modern cities; democracy and citizenship as well as a module exploring the relationship between art across various media, geography, and the political.

You also have the option to select modules from other departments such as philosophy, sociology and East Asian studies which may fit quite nicely with some of your interests

I would definitely recommend applying as a lot of the topics you have studied in your A levels will intersect with those covered in BA Geography so there will be lots to talk about in your personal statement!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Becca
Hey does anyone know what the 2021 gnp of Venezuela is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending