The Student Room Group

Unsure which uni to pick

I’ve entered clearing and have offer’s for Birmingham City Uni, Sussex, and Kingston for computer science . I’m really unsure which one to pick. I really care about my accommodation being nice and being close to a city, affordable + available for 52 weeks or 42 weeks, and the ranking too (but i’m unsure how much weight i should give to that). I give a lot of weighting to student life, and accom, i care a lot about the course/uni ranking too but i’m unsure whether i can sacrifice the first for the latter. Can i survive Sussex if i’m really a city person?

BCU + placement Comp Sci:
- Seemingly good location, right next to city and accom is also in the city/close to campus. Location is very important to me
- A couple of my best friends are also going there, though i’m not the most fussed going to another uni
- Accommodation (priv accom) seems to be really really nice for the price (probably the best out of the 3 by a country mile) - i’m somewhat fussed about student halls more so the private accom
- Uni isn’t exactly good for the course, my only concern for BCU

Kingston Comp sci:
- Good location, centre of the country so i can visit friends easily much more so than BCU or Sussex
- Accom (private accom)seems very expensive and hard to find one near uni, the quality of the accommodation is questionable too) seems to be the worst option for accom affordability and quality
- Uni isn’t the best for the course not too bad either, BCU seems to be the same
- Living seems to be very expensive here am worried
- If i can get a good accom then i’d like it more than BCU

Sussex + foundation year Comp Sci:
- The worst out of the three, have to commute to brighton, feels a bit isolated and not exactly ‘city’ which i very much prefer
- Accom (private) seems to be as expensive as london and difficult to find
- This is the only uni i’m worried about my student life being bad, i very much like to be close to a city and not isolated
- However the course seems to be the best by quite a margin and uni too in terms of rankings
unsure how much weighting i should give this
- Can possibly do foundation year and transfer elsewhere if i dislike the place - which is my biggest gripe

Any advice would be so appreciated, i need to make a decision within the next two days or so!
Original post by Sine.
I’ve entered clearing and have offer’s for Birmingham City Uni, Sussex, and Kingston for computer science . I’m really unsure which one to pick. I really care about my accommodation being nice and being close to a city, affordable + available for 52 weeks or 42 weeks, and the ranking too (but i’m unsure how much weight i should give to that). I give a lot of weighting to student life, and accom, i care a lot about the course/uni ranking too but i’m unsure whether i can sacrifice the first for the latter. Can i survive Sussex if i’m really a city person?

- Seemingly good location, right next to city and accom is also in the city/close to campus. Location is very important to me
- A couple of my best friends are also going there, though i’m not the most fussed going to another uni
- Accommodation (priv accom) seems to be really really nice for the price (probably the best out of the 3 by a country mile) - i’m somewhat fussed about student halls more so the private accom

Kingston Comp sci:
- Good location, centre of the country so i can visit friends easily much more so than BCU or Sussex
- Accom (private accom)seems very expensive and hard to find one near uni, the quality of the accommodation is questionable too) seems to be the worst option for accom affordability and quality
- Uni isn’t the best for the course not too bad either, BCU seems to be the same

- The worst out of the three, have to commute to brighton, feels a bit isolated and not exactly ‘city’ which i very much prefer
- This is the only uni i’m worried about my student life being bad, i very much like to be close to a city and not isolated
- However the course seems to be the best by quite a margin and uni too in terms of rankings
- Can possibly do foundation year and transfer elsewhere if i dislike the place - which is my biggest gripe

Any advice would be so appreciated, i need to make a decision within the next two days or so!

Hi, seems that you had a similar problem to me! There were many good universities out there and most of the Birmingham universities my friends are going to so i really wanted to go there to. Aston University was a very good option but the only problem was that it was situated in Birmingham and i dont want to really go to university in Birmingham just because i want to see what other parts of West Midlands was like. My advice to you is for you to think first will this help my career? If you went to BCU university will it inspire you to keep going or will you likely drop out? Secondly, about the Accom, do you want to get a student loan? I am not sure if it will arrive on time but it will help with the expenses. Finally, don't worry too much about your student life it will come by naturally, hope this helps!
Reply 2
Hi! Thanks so much for the reply, my goal is to stay focused on finishing my course, hopefully with a first (hopefully…). I have no worries about dropping out, not due to distractions anyways. My main thoughts about BCU was it being a city uni (a really big plus) and the private accom looking really nice at the sub £200 price (accom again v v important), friends are just a small bonus. Though the comp sci course isn’t exactly the best, much worse than sussex by the looks of it. To me that’s the only thing that sussex has over BCU. I don’t think i can handle a campus based uni, not one where i’d have to commute on either bus or train to get to town, accom is much more expensive for alright quality places as well. I just think i wouldn’t be able to survive in a place like sussex. All things considered, im just wondering if i’m overreacting about sussex’s location, accom expenses, diversity and student life in general and whether i’ll be wishing to transfer out after my first year there.

Again, thank you so much for your meaningful reply!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sine.
Hi! Thanks so much for the reply, my goal is to stay focused on finishing my course, hopefully with a first (hopefully…). I have no worries about dropping out, not due to distractions anyways. My main thoughts about BCU was it being a city uni (a really big plus) and the private accom looking really nice at the sub £200 price (accom again v v important), friends are just a small bonus. Though the comp sci course isn’t exactly the best, much worse than sussex by the looks of it. To me that’s the only thing that sussex has over BCU. I don’t think i can handle a campus based uni, not one where i’d have to commute on either bus or train to get to town, accom is much more expensive for alright quality places as well. I just think i wouldn’t be able to survive in a place like sussex. All things considered, im just wondering if i’m overreacting about sussex’s location, accom expenses, diversity and student life in general and whether i’ll be wishing to transfer out after my first year there.

Again, thank you so much for your meaningful reply!

No worries, that's what I'm here for! To be useful! In that case the second best university is best! From the sounds of it, the best university isn't in the best location, although the university has the best course to offer. I have done that with Aston University, it has a better reputation than Coventry but I prefer the location of Coventry University. So I think the second best university is the best choice, hope this helps!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sine.

Kingston Comp sci:

In regards to which uni you choose is really up to you, as you know all of your situation and needs. But I can help you with Kingston University.

Firstly the location is good. The feel around the university is an upbeat one. However, it is each to their own. But there is a place for everyone.

The accommodation in halls for first years I think, so don't quote me, is guaranteed and you are inside London so you cant accept cheap prices. But the rooms are decently sized. Next, if you plan on going next year you can easily look into private accommodation that is much bigger but probably by now already taken up. You could look for someone who is looking to take up a contract for next year but idk much about that.

For the computer science course, they do have big labs and powerful workstations that you can use that include double monitor setups if you find that to be a plus. But for the lectures mostly you will be in the ones with only a single monitor. Each person has their own experience of the course but the content of the first year is outlined on the website. The teachers are good, they are engaged in teaching and if you get along with them, you will find it good. But again, each to their own.

In regards to living costs. What primarily are you worried about? Groceries, Restaurants, or something else? This can easily be sorted with budgeting

Finding good accommodation is mentioned above.

Some other information. The library is big so that is a big positive and is relaxing to get work done in. The computer science labs are really nice and they sort of have their own building of computer labs. You can use the computers whenever you want as well as I mentioned. They have their own Kingston Bus which runs from halls to campus so you won't have to pay for that and they are all close to the uni so a short journey in the morning, so you can just wake up and go to uni quickly.

If you want to know anything else let me know.

Quick Reply

Latest