The Student Room Group

Importance of predicted grades in Oxford PPE?

How much would A*A*A or triple A* predictions put an applicant in a far better position than A*AA?

To put this into context, I am applying for PPE in Oxford and they’re highly selective. For reference, I have been practicing the TSA a lot and I have been averaging a score around 65. However, I believe I could get well over 70 if I keep up the practice as I have been practicing for about a month.

My personal statement is also quite good, with unique supercurriculars and ideas.

In my GCSEs I received 8 A*s and 1 A. I go to a state school.

I’m thinking of appealing my predicted grades (A*AA) to have 3 A*s but in the event of this being unsuccessful, what are my chances of getting an interview? Would predicted grades make a bigger difference than the TSA?
With Oxford and other top unis the grades matter very little as long as you are meeting or above the requirements, if PPE has an admissions test (potentially the TSA?) then that matters so much more.
Original post by mmsilim
How much would A*A*A or triple A* predictions put an applicant in a far better position than A*AA?

To put this into context, I am applying for PPE in Oxford and they’re highly selective. For reference, I have been practicing the TSA a lot and I have been averaging a score around 65. However, I believe I could get well over 70 if I keep up the practice as I have been practicing for about a month.

My personal statement is also quite good, with unique supercurriculars and ideas.

I’m thinking of appealing my predicted grades (A*AA) to have 3 A*s but in the event of this being unsuccessful, what are my chances of getting an interview? Would predicted grades make a bigger difference than the TSA?

If you're applying for PPE at a college which is a 10-15 minute walk out of the centre of Oxford University, then you don't need to worry. As you'll have a greater chance of getting into the college. But if you're applying for St. Johns College, Oxford University or Magdalen College, Oxford University, then you will need to perform highly in the TSA and impress in the interviews.

The GCSEs are awesome from state school!!! :biggrin: 8A*?! :wink: 1A. I wonder which subject the A grade was achieved?

Are you doing English Literature, History and Politics A-Levels? Or Maths, Physics and History? :s-smilie:

You have a very good chance of getting in as long as you have a strong UCAS personal statement, impressive performance in the TSA and above all the interviews. :smile:

Here is the Oxford University - Alternative Prospectus: https://www.applytocambridge.com/colleges

If it was me, I would apply to UNIVERSITY COLLEGE, OXFORD UNIVERSITY!!! :smile:
To clarify what the person above has said re less popular colleges being easier to get into. This is true for the college itself, but the pooling system means a candidate will simply be reallocated to a less popular college, if the one they apply to has a higher than proportionate number of people that year. The best candidates get into oxford, even if it is to a different college, all it means is that if you apply to a more popular college you are more likely to be reallocated to a different one. In other words, the college you apply to has no impact of your chances of getting into the university.

better a levels are better, but you would by no means be highly disadvantaged. At this point your TSA score is the bigger issue, ideally you want to be above 72/3, especially in the more recent papers.
TSA as said above is what you need to nail now.Predictions are good enough and pick the college you like rather than try and game the system.Chances of an interview about one in three.
Original post by mmsilim

Join the Oxford Applicants 2023 thread where you can compare notes with others in same situation and pick up useful interview.
Reply 6
The truth is that, according to the statistics from the most recent round of admissions (https://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/files/ppeadmissions2021-22informationforapplicantsfinalpdf), the vast majority of successful applicants had 3 or 4 A*s. There were a small number admitted with 2 A*s, and none with 1 or 0. What the stats also show, though, is that there are strikingly few applicants, successful or otherwise, anyway with fewer than 3 predicted A*s. What this suggests to me is that most, if they have not already been given 3 predicted A*s, successfully lobby their school to do so, and so I would strongly recommend that you try to do this.

The advice in this thread on the TSA being the most important aspect, and on college choice not really affecting your chances, is correct. Looking at last year’s stats, if you got a TSA score of above 70, you were overwhelmingly likely to be invited to interview, but even with just slightly less than this, highly likely not to be.
(edited 1 year ago)
Guys how can I practice for TSA?
Original post by _TheDon
Guys how can I practice for TSA?

You'll find all the papers here: https://stepmaths.co.uk/tsa/cambridge-tsa-past-papers-and-solutions/
Original post by mmsilim

We're literally the exact same! I'm also worried about predictions because the only other person in my year who's also applying for PPE has all A* predictions and I'm certain a lot of applicants would too. I have A*AA but I could've got an A* in my other two if I put in more effort so kinda annoyed as I was struggling to balance everything - especially history. And after the summer, I didn't have the same motivation to do as well in the september exams to improve predictions except for econ which I managed to increase to an A (!) Hopefully the TSA goes well but isnt 65 a great score (if you mean %). The highest I got 65% and my scores overall range between 55%-65%. I saw online (on oxford's website) that if you're on free sch meals/bursary you'll be guaranteed an interview as part of their widening objectives as long as you perform well in tsa! (I also got the same gcses grades as you which is hilarious eight 9s and one 8!)

Quick Reply

Latest