Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How do i know how many calories i need to intake per day??

I seriously need to start losing weight i've gained so much during the past year
    So, please of you can even suggest some overall things to eat more of that will help in the weight loss process , i will be grateful!!

P.s. joining a gym very soon

ReputationRep:
    Well you're a girl, so to maintain your weight you probably need roughly 2000, but it depends. There are some sites where you can work out how many calories you need per day, google it. To lose weight I'd guess maybe have about 1500 a day. Eat lots of fruit and veg and cut out junk food, and of course do lots of exercise.

ReputationRep:
    When I calculated mine, it said I needed 1600 odd a day to maintain my current weight, so don't use the average of 2000.

Google bmr (Basal metabolic rate) and there'll be some sites to calculate it for you I think

ReputationRep:
    OP, who is that in your sig picture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patrickthestarfish)
    When I calculated mine, it said I needed 1600 odd a day to maintain my current weight, so don't use the average of 2000.

Google bmr (Basal metabolic rate) and there'll be some sites to calculate it for you I think
    Mine's 1425 calories. So I have to eat less than that to lose weight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    Yes, or exercise more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sziphix)
    Yes, or exercise more.
    lol to be fair, the more pressing problem for me is eating less than 1400 calories. And making what I do eat more healthy.
    I don't have such a problem with exercising, but damn its hard to keep off the sugary stuff, and my likeness to fruit and veg extends to apples and bananas

Thanks for that link though, didn't think the result would be so low. No wonder I thought I was alright even though I was eating more calories than that.

ReputationRep:
    lol to be fair, the more pressing problem for me is eating less than 1400 calories. And making what I do eat more healthy.
    I don't have such a problem with exercising, but damn its hard to keep off the sugary stuff, and my likeness to fruit and veg extends to apples and bananas

Thanks for that link though, didn't think the result would be so low. No wonder I thought I was alright even though I was eating more calories than that.
    Well, your best bet is to either exercise more frequently, or at a higher intensity if you're finding the diet part too much of a challenge, try looking into HIIT, if you're interested.

10-20% of calories should be from proteins, having some protein will reduce the effect of losing muscle along with the fat; muscle is good! More muscle will increase the amount of calories you burn all the time.
    50-60% of calories should come from carbohydrate; these should be complex carbs (of a low GI) as they take longer to digest, and do not cause your body to release as much insulin (which encourages fat storage), than compared to simple carbs/sugars.
    20-30% of calories should come from fat, some fat is good too and the best sources of fat are from oils that are liquid at room temperature.

But as fat has over twice the calorific value than proteins and carbs, you only need to consume around half the the amount of fat (compared to protein and carbs) to get the correct % distribution.

At least, that's what I've found, I'm sure a forum vet is going to tell me how much I'm wrong and post better advice, heh.

ReputationRep:
    Ooo thanks Sziphix. I first heard of GI foods years ago and meant to try it. My problem exactly is that with all the rubbish I eat, I'm constantly craving more of it, and it makes my skin and moods worse compared to when I eat well/drink water/exercise. I definitely feel the effects.
    I've just found a list of low GI foods so I'm going to start bearing it in mind when I next go food shopping!

ReputationRep:
    That a bit misleading as it means you consume a minimum of 1425 calories per day if you just stayed in bed all day, breathing etc. It doesnt take into account every day tasks

ReputationRep:
    Just wean yourself off sugar. Stop putting sugar in drinks, cut out fizzy drinks and start eating 70%+ dark chocolate. You'll find it sour but eventually you'll love it and find Coke, Cadburys etc. too sweet.

Just don't buy sweet stuff and you won't have the option to eat it. Treat yourself on a Saturday. The more you eat it the more your body craves it because you're giving it a sugar rush.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.