The Student Room Group

Are these gcse grades good enough??

Hey, so I just got my GCSE grades today -( 5 A stars-8s/9s and 4 As-7s). Are they strong enough to get me a place at Oxford to study economics-(i got an A star in eco,Literature math, and the sciences.) Of course, this is given I get at least an A*A*A at a levels-Further Maths, physics, and economics.
yes ofc they are
Original post by tanish.hinduja
Hey, so I just got my GCSE grades today -( 5 A stars-8s/9s and 4 As-7s). Are they strong enough to get me a place at Oxford to study economics-(i got an A star in eco,Literature math, and the sciences.) Of course, this is given I get at least an A*A*A at a levels-Further Maths, physics, and economics.

Cambridge University has just under 250 places for Economics and Oxford University has PPE with just under 250 places and 85 places on Economics & Management degrees. The choice is now yours to make whether you choose Cambridge University or Oxford University. :wink:

No GCSE grades are strong enough to get a place at Oxford to study economics, since they don't offer an economics degree.

Good enough to get a place at Oxford in general? They're good enough to give you the same chance as every other realistic applicant - that chance is about 16%.

The thing you need to realise is that Oxford is very, very competitive. The number of people taking A levels each year is roughly 250000. The number of places at Oxford each year is about 3300. That's 1 in 75. Now don't get me wrong - someone will be that 1 in 75 and many of their GCSE results will be not that different from yours. But there will also be a LOT of people with GCSE results as good as or better than yours who don't get in. It's near-impossible to get GCSEs which are so good you stand out and yours are nowhere near that good - you'd be looking at something like 15 9s.

You're also a bit confused about A levels. You can't do further maths and not maths, so you will need to decide whether to take 4 A levels or to not take further maths. (Well, technically you can. Nobody does ever, and Oxford will not look at you for a mathematical degree unless you have A level maths. No, doing further maths instead would not make you special and amazing, it would make you an insta-rejection for not meeting the requirements.)

Edt: actually I realised that 1 in 75 is fairly inaccurate since the number of places includes international students but the number of people taking A levels is from UK-only statistics.
(edited 1 year ago)
So what youre saying is my gcses make the cut, but ive got to focus on other aspects of my application as well (as having perfect gcses is almost impossible). Also, yeah, i forgot to mention that i have to take maths with further maths, but dont you think taking further maths would give me an edge over other candidates applying for economics and management or economics at Cambridge/LSE
So what youre saying is my gcses make the cut, but ive got to focus on other aspects of my application as well (as having perfect gcses is almost impossible). Also, yeah, i forgot to mention that i have to take maths with further maths, but dont you think taking further maths would give me an edge over other candidates applying for economics and management or economics at Cambridge/LSE

Most applicants to economics will also likely be taking further maths, it would not give you an advantage. Oxbridge is so competitive, you will be competing against people with all 9’s, and 3/4A*s at a level, you will need more than your grades to stand out. Think work experience, extracurriculars etc.

You'll need to check on the websites - it may be a requirement for LSE. At that point the "edge" it will give you is that you won't be instantly rejected.

What you need to realise is that even if you do all the right things you are going to be a very small fish in a very big pool. Everyone else will be as good as you and doing the same sorts of things as you. Forget standing out because you're aiming for the impossible - but that's okay, the vast majority of people who get in don't stand out. What you're doing is trying to make yourself a realistic candidate. Your GCSEs are good enough that you won't be insta-rejected - though, to be honest, they are at the lower end of what people who get in tend to have. Now you need to do the same for your A levels, and your additional reading and subject-related activities and so on.
Hey, its just that i've been working quite hard for the past two years, so these grades seem quite unsatisfactory/unappealing. Infact, I was at the top of my class for the past two years, and many of my teachers predicted id get straight A stars. Also, i have always had a passion for history and got straight A stars throughout year 11, and now getting an A came off as a HUGE disappointment. Now, i think id have to radically change my plans and apply to the US instead,(less grade oriented), as top universities in the UK-(Oxford/LSE/Imperial) seem like a far-off reach.....
Reply 8
isn’t there like hundreds of threads asking the same thing 😂 there’s even like this official thread about gcse grades and oxbridge. Literally just search are my grades good enough for oxbridge tsr on google and you’ll find it
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest