The Student Room Group

University of Portsmouth transfer from Pharmacology to Pharmacy.

I've got an offer for Pharmacology at Portsmouth, however, I would like to transfer after a year to pharmacy. If I transfer, will i have to restart the course (from year 1 pharmacy) or would I continue to year 2?
Id assume if you transfer after completing 1 year of pharmacology, you'll start in the 2nd year of pharmacy. However I'd recommend talking to/emailing both faculties (pharmacology and pharmacy) to make sure its possible for you to transfer as its not always possible and depends on a number of things. Also, bear in mind if you do transfer and have to start from year 1 of pharmacy, I think its a masters course so you would have used up a year of student finance, so it's not guaranteed they will fund all 4 years.
Original post by hakhter555
Id assume if you transfer after completing 1 year of pharmacology, you'll start in the 2nd year of pharmacy. However I'd recommend talking to/emailing both faculties (pharmacology and pharmacy) to make sure its possible for you to transfer as its not always possible and depends on a number of things. Also, bear in mind if you do transfer and have to start from year 1 of pharmacy, I think its a masters course so you would have used up a year of student finance, so it's not guaranteed they will fund all 4 years.

Why would you assume that? There would be no guarantee they can transfer at all...more likely than not, especially as it's a healthcare professions course and will have specific, fairly rigorous requirements for accreditation/validation, it would not be possible to "transfer" into a higher year of the course and the only way to move from pharmacology to pharmacy (at most likely any uni...) would be to start again in first year.

Original post by Ahm_201
I've got an offer for Pharmacology at Portsmouth, however, I would like to transfer after a year to pharmacy. If I transfer, will i have to restart the course (from year 1 pharmacy) or would I continue to year 2?

As above there is no guarantee you would be able to transfer as such and you may simply need to reapply for first year entry. If you want to do pharmacy and not pharmacology you should take a gap year and then apply to the degree you actually want to do. Otherwise you're just wasting your finite SFE funding for no reason.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Why would you assume that? There would be no guarantee they can transfer at all...more likely than not, especially as it's a healthcare professions course and will have specific, fairly rigorous requirements for accreditation/validation, it would not be possible to "transfer" into a higher year of the course and the only way to move from pharmacology to pharmacy (at most likely any uni...) would be to start again in first year.

As above there is no guarantee you would be able to transfer as such and you may simply need to reapply for first year entry. If you want to do pharmacy and not pharmacology you should take a gap year and then apply to the degree you actually want to do. Otherwise you're just wasting your finite SFE funding for no reason.

It's not an assumption and I understand its not a guarantee. I've already contacted the uni and they said if I get over 60% on my first I would transfer, but I forgot to ask if I would change to pharmacy if I'll continue to year 2 or start at year1. The deadline for confirming my choices is this Monday so I am panicking a little and not sure if I have enough time
Original post by artful_lounger

simply not true, some healthcare courses which are similar you can transfer into I've done so myself.it varies uni to uni and ofc it depends on certain factors but that's a given. I was making the assumption based off of the fact that most of the time If you are transferring you transfer into 2nd year And not 1st.
Reply 5
simply not true, some healthcare courses which are similar you can transfer into I've done so myself.it varies uni to uni and ofc it depends on certain factors but that's a given. I was making the assumption based off of the fact that most of the time If you are transferring you transfer into 2nd year And not 1st.

Yeah that's the problem. I asked a student who graduated ~6 years ago and he said when he transferd, he had to redo year 1 pharmacy but he did "pharmacy only" modules. However he said that the uni changed a lot since he graduated and they've made a lot of new rules, etc..
Reply 6

OK thanks a lot for the help. About financing, whom should I contact, uni or SFE to double check if they'll fund all of the years
Original post by Ahm_201
OK thanks a lot for the help. About financing, whom should I contact, uni or SFE to double check if they'll fund all of the years

Contact sfe as they handle the finance side of things, and no problem happy to help 😊

There is absolutely no guarantee unless there is an existing pathway which the university explicitly makes clear. Such pathways are in fact comparatively rare compared the prevalence of the courses being transferred to/from. Also pharmacology is not a healthcare course, it's a science degree.
Original post by Ahm_201
It's not an assumption and I understand its not a guarantee. I've already contacted the uni and they said if I get over 60% on my first I would transfer, but I forgot to ask if I would change to pharmacy if I'll continue to year 2 or start at year1. The deadline for confirming my choices is this Monday so I am panicking a little and not sure if I have enough time

Well they will be able to tell you. I would 100% not suggest this, as if you don't meet the requirement you can't transfer, have wasted a year of your SFE funding, and are stuck in a degree you don't want to do unless you reapply elsewhere anyway.

Never start a degree you don't intend to finish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending