Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Poll- Scenario: What should I do if I fail to get in to Oxford/Ivy Leagues? Watch

• View Poll Results: Choose a Plan
    Plan A
    17.04%
    Plan B
    1.48%
    Plan C
    10.37%
    Plan D
    5.19%
    Plan E
    65.93%

ReputationRep:
    Pick one of these five scenarios. No other options are viable.

Plan A - Go to a second class UK University (Imperial, UCL, Warwick etc) and reapply next year
    A very rational choice, but of course inducing uncessessary costs to the LEA and shortening my working life by one year, which means one year less of lifetime earnings and tax money (I like paying taxes, its patriotic)

Plan B - Go to a second class US University (Pennsylvania state, UCLA, Wisconsin-Madison, Ohio state etc) and reapply next year
    Same as above with the same arguments really. I get to see more of the world, but wont get the same subject knowledge as the first year in US is less demanding than first year in UK subject depht wise.

Plan C- Take gap year and work and travel to earn money and experience and reapply next year, even if money in my case is not a concern.
    Relax from academic work, get some money (and pay taxes) for myself and the government that have invested heavily in me through these years, and see more of the world.

Plan D - Give up university and become a working class lady / housewife for the rest of my life
    Using contacts, I might land on a decent job that may pay not so very much less in lifetime earnings compared to a uni degree from a not so elite university. Of course it will be a boring life and 4 year less of fun student life, but if I fail Oxford/Ivy League it may mean that I dont deserve it as there are other people more academically suited for it; so I would be a more productive citizen by doing working/middle class job.

Plan E - Suicide by drowning in the North Sea
    Failing to get in to Oxford, it means I've failed my countrys expectation, taxpayers investment expectations, my bloodline and personal prospects. Many Britons died on the sea to make Britain stronger. Having failed the expectations of society, it might be an honorable thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    This is an excellent troll. If you're serious, I advice plan E. The only good unis in the world are oxbridge/ivy league.

ReputationRep:
    Suicide! Life is no longer worth living

ReputationRep:
    LOL at E

I would say do A or B but stay at that uni, there is not exactly a huge drop off and for some subjects those"second class" will be just as good or better that oxford or harvard...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Second class university?! Bloody hell. Not getting into Oxford is not the end of the world. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What an insult to dismiss every university that isn't the ones you named as second rate.

Definitely E

ReputationRep:
    second doing A or B OR a gap year.. seems a bit of a waste of money to go to uni for a year then reapply somewhere else, because i dont know if you'd be able to transfer into 2nd year especially at Oxford, so you'd just have to go back to first year. I'm at Oxford in my third year and if I had my time again and know what I know, I prob would have applied to a US uni for the experience and taken that path instead. Oxford really ISNT the only viable option you know...

ReputationRep:
    I'd say C.

ReputationRep:
    why don't you go and serve in iraq?

ReputationRep:
    Commit suicide.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard Imperial/UCL graduates are treated like lepers when it comes to getting a job..

I'd say F.

F for F off.... :troll:

ReputationRep:
    **** a duck.

ReputationRep:
    Kill yourself please. If you don't live up to your blue bloodline -- well, Labour MP as father, which is ironic in itself -- you may as well make the deep blue your resting place.

ReputationRep:
    what about option A 2) - apply to an ex-womens college, i.e. LMH, or apply to Newnham College, Cambridge

or you can go for Princeton etc..

p.s. since when was imperial second-rate?

ReputationRep:
    E and rid the world of your arrogance maybe? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If you would drown yourself over not getting into oxbridge, I advise you do so. Make the world a better place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy Pevensie)
    Pick one of these five scenarios. No other options are viable.

Plan A - Go to a second class UK University (Imperial, UCL, Warwick etc) and reapply next year
    A very rational choice, but of course inducing uncessessary costs to the LEA and shortening my working life by one year, which means one year less of lifetime earnings and tax money (I like paying taxes, its patriotic)

Plan B - Go to a second class US University (Pennsylvania state, UCLA, Wisconsin-Madison, Ohio state etc) and reapply next year
    Same as above with the same arguments really. I get to see more of the world, but wont get the same subject knowledge as the first year in US is less demanding than first year in UK subject depht wise.

Plan C- Take gap year and work and travel to earn money and experience and reapply next year, even if money in my case is not a concern.
    Relax from academic work, get some money (and pay taxes) for myself and the government that have invested heavily in me through these years, and see more of the world.

Plan D - Give up university and become a working class lady / housewife for the rest of my life
    Using contacts, I might land on a decent job that may pay not so very much less in lifetime earnings compared to a uni degree from a not so elite university. Of course it will be a boring life and 4 year less of fun student life, but if I fail Oxford/Ivy League it may mean that I dont deserve it as there are other people more academically suited for it; so I would be a more productive citizen by doing working/middle class job.

Plan E - Suicide by drowning in the North Sea
    Failing to get in to Oxford, it means I've failed my countrys expectation, taxpayers investment expectations, my bloodline and personal prospects. Many Britons died on the sea to make Britain stronger. Having failed the expectations of society, it might be an honorable thing to do.
    you seem like a massively arrogant person.
    "2nd class universities"
    Failing your bloodline.
    what are you?
    I'm surprised your on positive rep still.

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at the university world rankings.

http://www.topuniversities.com/world.../fullrankings/

If you notice, universities like Imperial, UCL, MIT, and Chicago are ranked higher than many of the Ivy League ones...

ReputationRep:
    I heard 90% of Imperial grads are on the dole, true story.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.