Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Poll- Scenario: What should I do if I fail to get in to Oxford/Ivy Leagues? Watch

• View Poll Results: Choose a Plan
    Plan A
    17.04%
    Plan B
    1.48%
    Plan C
    10.37%
    Plan D
    5.19%
    Plan E
    65.93%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smurfling)
    Is this supposed to be.... satire?
    Nope, Im dead serious I am driven by big dreams, just like William I, Bismarck or Lenin. Great achievements start with great dreams; History (you) will be my judge.

(Original post by Antonia87)
    IJesus Christ. If Imperial or UCL is second rate I sure don't want to know what you regard the university I'M going to as...

P*** off.
    Its all individual my dear and you cant really compare me with anyone else. I place high expectations on myself, just as my parents, friends, teachers, the Queen, My future children and grandchildren and Britain do. I cannot fail them. If I do, I dont deserve all the resources that have been invested in me, and noone likes bad investments aye? Thats why I have to keep going, fight for queen and country and my future family.

(Original post by Antonia87)
    You're aiming too low, surely. Any Ivy League? Even Brown?

Surely Oxford, Harvard, or nothing? Maybe Yale, Cambridge. Everything else, you might as well not go at all.
    Oxford, Harvard, Yale and Princeton. Applied to all. Cambridge, sure but i cant apply to both and its a family tradition to go to a certain college at oxford. I intend to keep that tradition alive.

ReputationRep:
    Plan A - Failing that -> Plan D - Failing that --> Plan E

FAIL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy Pevensie)
    Nope, Im dead serious I am driven by big dreams, just like William I, Bismarck or Lenin. Great achievements start with great dreams; History (you) will be my judge.

Its all individual my dear and you cant really compare me with anyone else. I place high expectations on myself, just as my parents, friends, teachers, the Queen, My future children and grandchildren and Britain do.
    41 isn't that great an achievement, 'dear'. If you have high expectations, you should be expecting 44/45.

Oxford, Harvard, Yale and Princeton. Applied to all. Cambridge, sure but i cant apply to both and its a family tradition to go to a certain college at oxford. I intend to keep that tradition alive.
    It's not a family tradition if it's been true for only one generation, as your profile implies.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Pick one of these five scenarios. No other options are viable.

Plan E - Suicide by drowning in the North Sea
    Failing to get in to Oxford, it means I've failed my countrys expectation, taxpayers investment expectations, my bloodline and personal prospects. Many Britons died on the sea to make Britain stronger. Having failed the expectations of society, it might be an honorable thing to do.
    This :yep:

OK seriously... I don't particularly agree with any of your options but if you're that set on going to Oxford/the Ivy League unis, then maybe Plan C is best. Though what if you don't get in the second time round? Are you just gonna keep trying?! :confused:

In which case Plan E may be easier... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teabreak)
    :troll:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    Continue your successful career as a forum troll. You have a talent.
    (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
    I'd say F.

F for F off.... :troll:

If you're so short sighted as to jump on someone and call them a troll for the OP, you aren't going to have much success in life. If you've nothing better to do than go round calling people trolls, then either you yourself are a troll, or you are a self centered person, or you've just been anally raped by a horse.

I'd go for option C, but I can't imagine you'd get rejected this year.

ReputationRep:
    My dear, I can give you but one pearl of wisdom:

You might find your path to world domination, riches, extra-planetary travel and academic notability considerably easier if you spent less time creating polls on a forum for procrastinating students.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I voted for C in the hope that, having travelled the world, you might have gained some perspective and learnt that Oxford and Ivy League schools definitely aren't the be-all and end-all for university education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancStudent098)
    My dear, I can give you but one pearl of wisdom:

You might find your path to world domination, riches, extra-planetary travel and academic notability considerably easier if you spent less time creating polls on a forum for procrastinating students.
    :rofl: I'll keep that in mind thank you

:rofl: Thank you Indie, youre that military officer that comes to the aid of ladies when they are in danger:yep:

(Original post by StandingOnAir)
    I voted for C in the hope that, having travelled the world, you might have gained some perspective and learnt that Oxford and Ivy League schools definitely aren't the be-all and end-all for university education.
    i have indeed travelled the world and appreciates its diversity and beauty. But my travels have also made me realize that of all the things mankind has done to shape this world, the knowledge used all leads to a select few modern educational institutions. So basically they lead and create leaders and innovations whereas all others follow. Ive met many people my age who despite some elite universities springing up in the third world latley, dream of attending these select few institutions because they produce world leaders and are way far ahead of any competition. Hence it is indeed the end of my world or my career if i fail this trial. Its a unjust world that would certainly benefit from a little redistribution of resources and talent, but I did not create the world. Just trying to live and do good in it.

Based on the recommendations so far, the admissions tutor will have the opportunity to end my life in 2 months I hope he wont.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :rofl: I find your Tory anti feminist jokes amusing My dear Dan, but I am a proper girl that lives and dies with honor

All the options stated are viable options and as i said other than those will not be considered, which includes sticking to a second class university. If I decide to go to university, all efforts will be focused on getting in to Oxford/Ivy League even if it will take a decade or more. Thank you for all the input. I will refer back to this thread in two months from today. If I succeed, I will thank you by holding a speech about how we can, Obama style. If not, then you will maybe read about me on the BBC one windy day:p:
    Oh do get over yourself - do you seriously believe this is funny?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Kill yourself. It's the only option.

8-).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    In other words, you intend to become a bearded male foreigner?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=J-OD]what about option A 2) - apply to an ex-womens college, i.e. LMH, or apply to Newnham College, Cambridge
    [QUOTE]

how the hell will that help?

LMH is one of the most over-subscribed colleges at Oxford dumbo :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by hobnob
    Oh do get over yourself - do you seriously believe this is funny?
    ... but you have to admit some of the responses from people who think this is serious are hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    I think getting into as you so arrogantly put it a 'second class' university, would do you a hell of a lot of good actually, it may even give you a bit of perspective or is that just wishfull thinking?

Now I understand this person is quite a blatant troll, but still it's a rather saddening fact that there are people like this out there.

EDIT: If as you say History (we) shall be your judges, I've already got a rather low opinion of you, great start.

EVERYONE LETS LYNCH HER SHE WANTS TO DO WELL FOR HERSELF!!!!

OH **** SHE WANTS SOMETHING BETTER OUT OF LIFE THAN GOING TO A **** UNI AND GETTING A **** JOB!!!!!!

**zombie walks towards lucy** "braiiinnnnsss braiiins"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    If you're so short sighted as to jump on someone and call them a troll for the OP, you aren't going to have much success in life. If you've nothing better to do than go round calling people trolls, then either you yourself are a troll, or you are a self centered person, or you've just been anally raped by a horse.

I'd go for option C, but I can't imagine you'd get rejected this year.

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Judging from their reputation alone, this thread's supposed to be a p***take of the posters who post this kind of thing. It just hasn't worked, clearly. :/

ReputationRep:
    Hm. Ignoring everything you've just said (actually everything you've ever said - all 366 posts worth of it...):

Jesus H Nelly, it is NOT the end of this world, that world, your world, or even my world, if you don't get into the lovely (stereotypically) Old Etonian haven that is Oxbridge. Neither is it the end of the aforementioned if you don't find yourself being handed an invite to attend tea partays with the New England élite in any of the Ivies.

To be quite honest, I'd tell you that if you weren't good enough for the *******s this time around, you're not going to be good for them the second time. So if you don't get in, just "like-it-or-lump-it" and go for a normal University. I hear Bristol is the home of the middle class and the Oxford-rejects (again, stereotyping); the Londons seem alright; Edinburgh doesn't seem half bad either, giving us our current Prime Minister.

Dear me, what has this country come to where people feel the urge to have to attend Oxbridge or die?

I considered the Americas, as a substitute to Oxbridge (as I would never fit in there), and overwhelmingly decided I could get a decent degree here. Since that hasn't come into your rather arrogant brain, you may wish to ask: "How else may I serve my country, if not by attending Oxbridge?" - go and find your local recruiting agency; I hear we have a shortage of cannon-fodder in the sandy wastelands...

ReputationRep:
    For goodness sake! It's hardly the end of the world. Most people would be extremely proud to get into the universities you term "second rate".
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i have indeed travelled the world and appreciates its diversity and beauty. But my travels have also made me realize that of all the things mankind has done to shape this world, the knowledge used all leads to a select few modern educational institutions. So basically they lead and create leaders and innovations whereas all others follow. Ive met many people my age who despite some elite universities springing up in the third world latley, dream of attending these select few institutions because they produce world leaders and are way far ahead of any competition. Hence it is indeed the end of my world or my career if i fail this trial. Its a unjust world that would certainly benefit from a little redistribution of resources and talent, but I did not create the world. Just trying to live and do good in it.
    If you want to go on and achieve big things, you will not be limited by your university. All the "second class" universities you listed will be able to challenge you, should you wish to take them up on it. What you get out of a university will be dependent on what you put into your degree.

If what concerns you is the reputation of the university you attend, then get a first and take a postgrad degree at Oxbridge. Doing this would in no way end your world or your career. There is no single route to success; if your ambitions are as high as your profile seems to imply, then you won't be held back by going to a "second class" uni for your undergrad degree.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.