Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Poll- Scenario: What should I do if I fail to get in to Oxford/Ivy Leagues? Watch

• View Poll Results: Choose a Plan
    Plan A
    17.04%
    Plan B
    1.48%
    Plan C
    10.37%
    Plan D
    5.19%
    Plan E
    65.93%

ReputationRep:
    The other thing is that every year, many of the top people at UCL, LSE, Imperial will be better than the bottom of Oxbridge.

This girl just needs to grow up. "letting down the taxpayer". ****'s sake. For every person who gets in, one doesn't. And they're all good. Get your head sorted out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bj_945)
    The other thing is that every year, many of the top people at UCL, LSE, Imperial will be better than the bottom of Oxbridge.

This girl just needs to grow up. "letting down the taxpayer". ****'s sake. For every person who gets in, one doesn't. And they're all good. Get your head sorted out.
    You do realise 'she' is just a troll?

ReputationRep:
    Plan C- Take gap year and work and travel to earn money and experience and reapply next year, even if money in my case is not a concern.
    Relax from academic work, get some money (and pay taxes) for myself and the government that have invested heavily in me through these years, and see more of the world.

ReputationRep:
    lmfao

- this is a german girl who just realised that she loves british humour - (thanks. Im stilling to stop crying) :nah:

ReputationRep:
    E, without a doubt.
    Any university outside the world's top 5 is a true ********.

ReputationRep:
    E. Life just wouldn't be worth living after such an epic fail. Maybe you should do it in anticipation.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick, Durham and possibly Bristol as much, if not more, than UCL.

But are we talking the bottom 5% of Oxbridge and top 1% of those unis?

ReputationRep:
    OMG, I mean a regard myself, and others at my school as a bit arrogant etc. when it comes to unis and academics.

Bt I no longer feel bad about this. You have taken it to a whole new level. I have never had the misfortune to come across someone as hideously patronising, arrogant and short-sighted as you. I mean I'm trying to think...I've met lotsa people in my life...but no nothing springing to mind.

Grow the **** up.We all want Oxbridge and Ivy. First thing to realise is that many non Oxbridge/Ivy unis beat some of the Ivies anyway. Like Stanford; UCL; Imperial; LSE.

You sound so unbelievably un-Labour it's iiiiiinnnnnnnssssssaaaaaannnnnne eee.

Obviously it is all good and well that you might split from your parents values. But on your profile you ask to vote for your Dad, a Labour MP.

How in hell can you reconcile that with your world views. "Want to go to Trinity Like Mommy and Daddy" "Things expected of me by the Queen" Jesus Tories don't come much more posh, patronising or elitest than you. You're so far up your own arse I can hardly believe there's anything left to type outside it.

Anyway, I'd advise for you to take off that ******** about vote for him. You're enough of a :troll: to lose elections for anyone lol.

P.S You're not seriously Labour are you? Please say that whole thing is an ironic joke. I still had some respect left.

Peace out xx
    If the top second class unis are so good why do people hold oxbridge is so high in regard then? I suspect this talk about how good other unis are are just the result of hug amounts of money spent by the marketing departments of these universities, compared to oxbridge. I mean just look at the application material and how much effort the non oxbridge unis has put down on them. It is politically wrong to look down on them I know, but it doesnt change the fact that oxbridge are unquestionably the best unis in the UK, by a large margin nomatter how youre gonna sugarcoat it. Also I cant stand to live 4 years in a large city such as London.

Being Labour is not an excuse to not go to oxbridge to get the best education possible in order to make the society better and more equal. I wish the systems resources and fame were more evenly distributed, but this is as of this generation not the case. I will work to make sure my childrens schoolin more equal. But for the current society and my current situation and apsirations, getting into oxford/ivies is something to die for:cool: You dont think I'm capable of dying for this honourable cause?

But some are better than others surley? Its a process of sorting out the relatively better ones, otherwise we wouldnt have competition.

(Original post by arisk01)
    oh noes, it's the style of her writing, what she stands for
    Thank you sir. I am flattered.

(Original post by easy_lemon)
    OP I just looked at your profile...are you really going to name all of your kids after Narnia characters? LOL!!

If so, please have a fifth and call him Mr Tumnus, then you wouldn't have to be an Oxford graduate to get on the news...
    Nah, he is not cute enough. Only problem would be to have them in the correct order. But Im sure it can be a customised solution for that 10-15 years down the road. How cute is that?:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy Pevensie)
    If the top second class unis are so good why do people hold oxbridge is so high in regard then? I suspect this talk about how good other unis are are just the result of hug amounts of money spent by the marketing departments of these universities, compared to oxbridge. I mean just look at the application material and how much effort the non oxbridge unis has put down on them. It is politically wrong to look down on them I know, but it doesnt change the fact that oxbridge are unquestionably the best unis in the UK, by a large margin nomatter how youre gonna sugarcoat it. Also I cant stand to live 4 years in a large city such as London.

Being Labour is not an excuse to not go to oxbridge to get the best education possible in order to make the society better and more equal. I wish the systems resources and fame were more evenly distributed, but this is as of this generation not the case. I will work to make sure my childrens schoolin more equal. But for the current society and my current situation and apsirations, getting into oxford/ivies is something to die for:cool: You dont think I'm capable of dying for this honourable cause?

But some are better than others surley? Its a process of sorting out the relatively better ones, otherwise we wouldnt have competition.

Thank you sir. I am flattered.

Nah, he is not cute enough. Only problem would be to have them in the correct order. But Im sure it can be a customised solution for that 10-15 years down the road. How cute is that?:yep:

Wow you think you are right.

That makes this even funnier.

Oxbridge is not superior in teaching standards or the standards of the knowledge of graduates.

In fact in many fields oxbridge are not the best, at all.

ReputationRep:
    what about Cambridge?

And I'm going to assume you aren't actually serious about D and E because they are just ridiculous. And tbh, if you're applying to those kinds of unis, chances are you'll get a place at one of them. But seriously, you need a reality check.

ReputationRep:
    If the top second class unis are so good why do people hold oxbridge is so high in regard then?
    Tradition?

oxbridge are unquestionably the best unis in the UK, by a large margin nomatter how youre gonna sugarcoat it?
    Politics, economics, law - LSE; Sciences and engineering - Imperial; History, physics, english, law - Durham; Philosophy, law - Bristol; maths and economics - Warwick.....

Of course Oxbridge are in a league of their own in terms of traditional and prestige. They are the two oldest universities in the anglosphere and have dominanted intellectual and political thought and development in this country and, to a lesser degree, around the world. However, that doesn't mean that Oxbridge are "miles better" or that any of our other top unis can't rival/match them in a few areas.

Not all of them are in our capital city, either.

Seriously, apply to Oxford and, if rejected, you've got two options. Go to Warwick, get a first and then write a Guardian article ("I'm so glad I went to Warwick and was rejected by Oxbridge, I'm over my Oxbridge rejection, honest I am, why else would I still be going to the media about this four years later) or go to Durham, get into Castle, pretend you don't care about getting rejected and pretend Durham's better anyway. Act like a stuck up arse for three years and graduate with your 2:1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natsuko)
    what about Cambridge?

And I'm going to assume you aren't actually serious about D and E because they are just ridiculous. And tbh, if you're applying to those kinds of unis, chances are you'll get a place at one of them. But seriously, you need a reality check.

and a Slap in the face, ahh **** it make it a punch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Tradition?

Politics, economics, law - LSE; Sciences and engineering - Imperial; History, physics, english, law - Durham, Philosophy, law - Bristol; maths and economics - Warwick.....

Medicine(History not Best) - Imperial(St mary's back in the day) and UCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    Medicine - Imperial(St mary's back in the day) and UCL
    Erm....no. There are no "best" unis in medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Can't really have a bad uni in medicine. What would be the point? We don't want bad doctors :nah:

ReputationRep:
    Why is there no 'Get over yourself' option?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Gremlins)
    Why is there no 'Get over yourself' option?
    That's a very good question. I'd also like to know the answer to that

ReputationRep:
    :laughing: got to be E

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annab1684)
    :laughing: got to be E
    I lol'ed when I saw the poll results for it :laughing:

ReputationRep:
    I know there is no "Best"

im talking about most History.

Royal free was the 1st ever hospital to train female doctors in the UK.

and St Marys Medical School also went back years.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.