The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

!!!UCL MECHANICAL ENGINEERING or any ucl engineering!!!

!!!!HELLLPPP!!!

Specifically mechanical engineering UCL (tbh any engineering department in UCL)

1)has anyone ever got an offer with a predicted of A in maths A level, if so whats the personal statement/gcse looking like?

2)r GCSEs important for UCL to provide an offer/accept u??
3)do UCL really care about personal statements that much?

Personally i had been predicted A*A*A*A (to my knowledge unless my college was tweaking)
for Physics, Biology, Eng lit, and Maths in that order. --- i got rejected straight up (took a long time tho)

I think I never got an offer from UCL mechanical engineering BEng, cus of the predicted maths grade (maths is most important for engineering?) and maybe GCSEs, andddd personal statement was not the best but idk bout it being that bad

please prove me wrong as i want to retake my exams and try again?

!!!!HELLLPP!!!
1) I know someone who just got accepted into UCL for Chemical engineering whilst getting a B in Maths A-level this August. I'm not sure if he got a contextual offer and thats why he got accepted with the B but I'm assuming if you've got an A it's okay.
2) I got an offer for Chemistry with these GCSE grades - 999888776 (8 in Maths and the 9-9 in Combined Science) with A*A*A* predicted (Bio, Chem and Geog)
3) UCL is very competitive so they care a LOT about personal statements they deal with like 60,000 applications a year and you're competing with not only the best students in the UK but internationally too. Join any freshers page and you've got hardly any UK students, most are internationals so you need to go above and beyond on your personal statement for them to even consider you. Anyone can get an A* in any subject if they worked hard enough or wanted it enough, they don't care about your grades, they want to see if you're actually passionate about the subject you just applied for and if you're willing to go above and beyond to keep the university ranked 8th in the world.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by hss_2004
1) I know someone who just got accepted into UCL for Chemical engineering whilst getting a B in Maths A-level this August. I'm not sure if he got a contextual offer and thats why he got accepted with the B but I'm assuming if you've got an A it's okay.
2) I got an offer for Chemistry with these GCSE grades - 999888776 (8 in Maths and the 9-9 in Combined Science) with A*A*A* predicted (Bio, Chem and Geog)
3) UCL is very competitive so they care a LOT about personal statements they deal with like 60,000 applications a year and you're competing with not only the best students in the UK but internationally too. Join any freshers page and you've got hardly any UK students, most are internationals so you need to go above and beyond on your personal statement for them to even consider you. Anyone can get an A* in any subject if they worked hard enough or wanted it enough, they don't care about your grades, about the subject you just applied for and if you're willing to go above and beyond to keep the university ranked 8th in the world.

okay thank you,

my gcses r not good tho 9888777764 (4 in span)

im still not totally convinced with the maths alevel predicted thing, cus he may have been predicted an A*/A and got a contextual offer, or cus its only AAA requirement; Mech is A*AA and im tryna figure out if maths is the most important for that course so i can just retake phys and get an A*

u completely convinced me with the p/s which is what i was hopying for, if u got any p/s statement/ references u know that r u good please dm me,

thanks again
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply