Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I see from statistics that 90% of PGCE graduates go into teaching. I wanna ask whether it is worth it, ignoring the fees, to do a PGCE for the rhetorical and applied psychological skills etc that the degree entails for the benefit in a future career as for example a manager in another field than teaching; or purely for the benefit of my future children (i plan to have 4) so I can understand their development and needs to give them the best possible care.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, you may be taking a place on the course that could go to someone who actually wants to teach, especially if you were to do primary.

ReputationRep:
    PGCE courses are very very competitive so unless you've got real enthusiasm and lots of classroom experience etc, you'd be unlikely to get on one anyway.

You could do a child psychology certificate or something similar if you want to be able to understand the development and needs of possible future children. That might be a more viable and probably a more useful thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    Then you would be one of the 10% of PGCE graduates who don't go into teaching.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pretty pointless tbh. Also, as others have said, they're really competitive.
    (btw, nice to see someone else who is involved in guiding! )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura373)
    (btw, nice to see someone else who is involved in guiding! )
    :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    This is a bit extreme all for the purpose of future children. Sorry to put a dampening on things but how about if you never have children? Or if they are Special Needs/Disabled? You really shouldn't plan your life according to what may be in the future.

I am on a PGCE Primary and the drop out rates are pretty high to be fair. SO if you aren't dedicated to becoming a teacher you might not stick to it. But having a PGCE means you can undertake many other professions, not just teaching. A contrasting example being in the Armed Forces as a training officer. Or even going into any recruitment training career.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.