The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Accommodation at Loughborough

I'm thinking of applying to Loughborough to study geography and wanted to know anyones thoughts on which accommodation is best for social life?
Original post by oddle24
I'm thinking of applying to Loughborough to study geography and wanted to know anyones thoughts on which accommodation is best for social life?

Hello! Students will probably be better at answering this than I am as I work for the University, but I wanted to jump in as no-one has come back to you yet. One thing our students often say is that our halls are really sociable - we try our best to ensure a real community feeling, and there are competitions between halls which add to that feeling. In terms of which accommodation is best for certain things, we're really careful about ensuring we get a mix of people in halls so we don't allow halls to be filled with people from one course, sport, or any other type of division to allow all of the halls to be similar, diverse environments so all students get the best experience. For this reason it's tough to recommend a hall, and when you ask students they usually just say the hall they have lived in! You can read more about our halls here (https://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/accommodation/halls/) but we do open some of them up on open days so to find the one you like the most I think the best option is to visit and see how they feel. I hope this helps :smile: Jennifer
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by oddle24

Hello!

It's great that you're thinking of coming to Loughborough. (I'm not an official rep for the uni so hopefully i'm not stealing their thunder - but I can tell you about my experience so here goes)... Geography a great subject too on a side note...

Every hall here has a great social aspect, each hall has a committee made up of students who will organise things like parties, balls and events throughout the year. There isn't really a quiet hall, apart from The Holt, which I never hear anything about. I stayed in towers hall for my first year, which is sort of known for being the most social... I can back those claims. Living with 300 other people and sharing 4 lifts is a good way to get to know people, dining together 3 times a day also gives you a good opportunity to interact with people - in self catered I gather you eat alone most days. In towers you tend to get close with the people on the 'other tower' as well as those on your side (eg. East Tower floor 12 mix with West Tower floor 12) - so you end up having 17 flatmates instead of 5 or 6. We were also lucky to have the big lawn in front of the design school to host events throughout the year, though I gather building work is planned around there, I don't know what the crack is with that...

I suppose what i'm trying to say is, towers is a good choice. I'll give you a bit of an insight too, the hall you want is probably not the hall you'll get - I didn't know a single person in towers who picked towers - but thats the way the cookie crumbles I guess. You will be happy wherever you end up at Loughborough I can guarantee...

If you want any more advice, or just info about stuff in luff, just drop me a reply.

:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hello!

It's great that you're thinking of coming to Loughborough. (I'm not an official rep for the uni so hopefully i'm not stealing their thunder - but I can tell you about my experience so here goes)... Geography a great subject too on a side note...

Every hall here has a great social aspect, each hall has a committee made up of students who will organise things like parties, balls and events throughout the year. There isn't really a quiet hall, apart from The Holt, which I never hear anything about. I stayed in towers hall for my first year, which is sort of known for being the most social... I can back those claims. Living with 300 other people and sharing 4 lifts is a good way to get to know people, dining together 3 times a day also gives you a good opportunity to interact with people - in self catered I gather you eat alone most days. In towers you tend to get close with the people on the 'other tower' as well as those on your side (eg. East Tower floor 12 mix with West Tower floor 12) - so you end up having 17 flatmates instead of 5 or 6. We were also lucky to have the big lawn in front of the design school to host events throughout the year, though I gather building work is planned around there, I don't know what the crack is with that...

I suppose what i'm trying to say is, towers is a good choice. I'll give you a bit of an insight too, the hall you want is probably not the hall you'll get - I didn't know a single person in towers who picked towers - but thats the way the cookie crumbles I guess. You will be happy wherever you end up at Loughborough I can guarantee...

If you want any more advice, or just info about stuff in luff, just drop me a reply.

:smile:

+ Jennifer is bang on the money, people will just recommend their hall (as I have done)... which affirms that there is no bad choice. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest