The Student Room Group

budgeting food

I am going to Coventry University and haven't got a clue what to buy for food? I am going to live independently in a studio so... I haven't got a clue what to do
Original post by Anonymous
I am going to Coventry University and haven't got a clue what to buy for food? I am going to live independently in a studio so... I haven't got a clue what to do

Hi!

What do you like to eat foodwise normally? :tongue:

Between now and uni I would research some basic recipes and cooking skills and ask your parents/guardian to give you a crash course to help you become more confident. Another option is to practice by yourself and watch some youtube channels like Gordan Ramsay and Jamie Oliver who do have some fab playlists like how to cook different types of eggs, and cover the most popular types of recipes like spag bol.

A student cookbook is also a good idea :yep:
(edited 1 year ago)

Hey :smile:

Some fab advice below! In terms of budgeting tips you could also use loyalty cards, keep an eye out for discounts, buy unbranded items, shop at budget supermarkets.

Becky

Hiya

Don't worry- start working on your cooking skills right now. You've got about a month (or maybe less) before you have to move to uni so you'll have to learn some basics in the kitchen. If you've got some favourite foods, learn how to cook them. Plenty of recipes are available online like these. Pick out some easy ones and cook them 2-3 times so you don't have to look at the cookbook again before cooking them. Some of my staples have been different types of pasta, salads, rolls, sandwiches etc.

You can go for frozen food sometimes but it's definitely not healthy in the long run. Alternatively, there could be some chains delivering homecooked meals to uni students. In Durham we have The Student Kitchen, you can look up something similar in your city by searching 'student meals [uni name]' on google to see if something pops up. This can easily get expensive so it's best for you to learn to cook some easy meals for now, and you can always upgrade later on :smile:

-Himieka
Original post by Durham Students
You can go for frozen food sometimes but it's definitely not healthy in the long run.

Plenty of frozen food is extremely healthy - and in the case of frozen vegetables, they're often healthier, in terms of their vitamin and mineral content, than their 'fresh' alternatives which have been sitting around on a shop shelf for a few days, before being further stored and degrading at home. There are plenty of healthy, balanced choices in frozen food which are economical and, due to be able to portion just what you need, very budget-friendly.

This idea that all frozen food is 'unhealthy' is a curiously British thing - it doesn't exist on the continent, for example. Frozen food doesn't have to be just chips, ice-cream and turkey dinosaurs!
Original post by Reality Check
Plenty of frozen food is extremely healthy - and in the case of frozen vegetables, they're often healthier, in terms of their vitamin and mineral content, than their 'fresh' alternatives which have been sitting around on a shop shelf for a few days, before being further stored and degrading at home. There are plenty of healthy, balanced choices in frozen food which are economical and, due to be able to portion just what you need, very budget-friendly.

This idea that all frozen food is 'unhealthy' is a curiously British thing - it doesn't exist on the continent, for example. Frozen food doesn't have to be just chips, ice-cream and turkey dinosaurs!

Okay :smile:

-Himieka

I agree with everyone else, learning to cook a couple of dishes is a great idea. You will be surprised at what you can do with some pasta, a tin of tomatoes, onion and garlic and anything you might want to add to it..mince, tuna, chicken. You can also batch cook, make several servings in one go and freeze them for future use.
When you go shopping, remember the stuff on the shelves at eye level is positioned there to make you buy it. It will be more expensive and create the most profit for the retailer. Look particularly to the bottom shelves for the cheaper stuff that does the same job. Shopping for one is easier and cheaper at a local market or greengrocers..you can buy one of something, rather than a whole family pack. Cheaper and less waste.
Good luck

Chris Stone
Student BA (Hons)- Painting, Drawing Printmaking/ Student Ambassador.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply