Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't sure where to put this...so please move it if it needs to be elsewhere!

I'm going away in Febuary to Switzerland skiing. I have never skiied before and haven't got a clue what I need! I've had a look on the internet, but am getting confused by the amount of stuff mentioned and all the detail about clothing, quality of it etc.

Basically I will be going in Feb for just over a week. Depending on if I enjoy it or not (and if I can afford it!) I may go skiing again at some point, but I don't know. So I really don't want to spend too much money on things. What do I need to get, and what can I do without? Any suggestions?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    When I went skiing I rented what I needed from a ski shop. I rented the ski trousers and jacket and bought some sunglasses, hat and gloves. Underneath the ski suit you can just wear a t shirt, you don't actually get that cold.

Oh and suncream is useful, you can get burnt from the sun reflecting off of the snow.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, any idea how much is costs to rent stuff? Is it significantly cheaper than buying?

Anymore help people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ununpentium)
    When I went skiing I rented what I needed from a ski shop. I rented the ski trousers and jacket and bought some sunglasses, hat and gloves. Underneath the ski suit you can just wear a t shirt, you don't actually get that cold.

Oh and suncream is useful, you can get burnt from the sun reflecting off of the snow.
    Definitely don't trust that all the time! It can get incredibly cold when the sun goes in, especially if there's no cloud cover. I usually have a hoody on underneath my jacket.

I've never had any experience with renting equipment as I go skiing regularly but I doubt it would be that expensive. Investing in a good jacket could be a good idea, as it can be used outside of skiing. I'd probably make sure you can rent before you get out there, as otherwise you'll get charged a bomb for new clothes at the actual resort.

Suncream is a must, as is a good pair of gloves - it's the end of your fingers where you'll feel the cold most.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to gauge what you'll need skiing because it can vary so greatly depending on the weather. You need thermals in case it's cold (I sometimes wear a normal t shirt and woolly tights instead), decent gloves, possibly some glove liners if you get cold hands like me, some tops to wear over your thermals and under your jacket (micro fleeces are good - thin but very warm) and finally the ski jacket and salopettes. And a hat. And suncream, and a decent pair of sunglasses and goggles.

It's all very expensive just for you to go and discover you don't like skiing much, renting is a good idea for your first trip.

Also I definitly recommend visiting a dry slope or indoor hill for a few lessons before you go - your holiday will be so much more enjoyable if you are able to enjoy the skiing.

ReputationRep:
    Decent sunglasses/goggles are really important, i find anyway
    tights and thick socks, longsleeved t-shirts and micro fleeces are great for layering up too
    think more thin layers, rather than fewer thicker layers, if that makes sense lol
    and i hope you have a great time! its an amazing sport to get into!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.