Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This may sound weird but I have a random craving for some champagne yet am not much of a wine fan.

Since I'm no expert I need your advice on what decent champagne I can get for under £8. I really don't like red wine (white is ok) and prefer sweet things if that helps at all. Also I'll probably share it with someone as opposed to having a modest glassful so it has to go down reasonably ok.

Any advice appreciated

ReputationRep:
    It's always wine at my house but I'm not usually paying attention to labels, haha.. except for one!
    Try Rivercrest, it's actually one of my favourite rosé wines and is very easy to drink.. I think it tastes of strawberries
    (It also got me absolutely slaughtered, once.. but I think I ate something bad beforehand xD)

ReputationRep:
    You can't really get decent champagne, or indeed any champagne for less than £30. The only thing you'll get for £8 is Cava.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ducki)
    You can't really get decent champagne, or indeed any champagne for less than £30. The only thing you'll get for £8 is Cava.
    Yeah, you'll only get a sparkling wine for this price. But still that might be enough to satisfy your craving, it just might not taste as nice...

ReputationRep:
    lol yeah if you find a decent champagne for less than £30 let me know.

If you haven't tried it before, get a small bottle of Moet. They usually have enough for two glasses' worth each. Better (cheaper) for you if you're just trying the stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Some cavas can be pretty good, in some blind tasting champagne reviewers did they rated cavas higher than some of the official 'champagnes'. Basically doesn't champagne just have to be grapes from the champagne region of France, and then cava is made with spanish grapes. Champagne is just a sparkling wine but made from only 3 types of grape from the champagne region.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sianeh)
    Some cavas can be pretty good, in some blind tasting champagne reviewers did they rated cavas higher than some of the official 'champagnes'. Basically doesn't champagne just have to be grapes from the champagne region of France, and then cava is made with spanish grapes. Champagne is just a sparkling wine but made from only 3 types of grape from the champagne region.
    Yep, and the difference in income for vinyards on either side of the region is unbelievable. There are several people who want to be able to label their bottles as Champagne, even though they are not in that region. Don't know if it'll happen though.

Yeah a try a cava or a small bottle of champagne, which you can get for about a tenner.

I am personally not a big wine fan, certainly not red. I can sip a bit of white but I'm a slow drinker with it.

Nothing compared to champagne though - love the stuff! As well as pink champagne. And a slice of peach in the glass is nice if you've already had a few glasses, adds something to it.

ReputationRep:
    try prosecco.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    Yeah a try a cava or a small bottle of champagne, which you can get for about a tenner.

I am personally not a big wine fan, certainly not red. I can sip a bit of white but I'm a slow drinker with it.
    I'm exactly the same. Do you like Cava then? Some people tell me its nice, others say its horrible.

I looked at Prosecco which someone suggested and it looks nice. I've been recommended Freixenet (?) as well, anyone had that?

I know I won't get a proper champagne in my price range but a nice sparkling wine will do.

ReputationRep:
    By Champagne you probably mean "sparkling wine", as a lot have pointed out above.

The range of sparklings in UK supermarkets isn't that great, but a few decent ones are Campo Viejo Reserva, and Freixenet Cordon Negro - both around £6-7.

Although you said you like sweet wine, so both of the above are dry (ie. opposite of sweet), so if you can find eg. Freixenet Carta Nevada, that'll be less dry.

Then again, if you don't really care whether it's traditional style sparkling or not, you can go for the sweet, strawberry-flavoured Chilean sparkling Fresita.

ReputationRep:
    Champagne is very over-rated, and very over-priced.

A good quality Prosecco will set you back around £10-15 a bottle.

Although it tends to be a bit sweeter than Champagne, it's a more than acceptable substitute.

Useless bar knowledge...an original Bellini cocktail contains Prosecco, not Champagne as tends to be used more nowadays.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.