Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi people! I'm struggling on one of the questions my teacher has given so and was wondering if anyone could help. The question is A man is able to paddle a canoe at the speed of 3ms-1 in still water. He wants to cross a river which is 20m apart. The flow of the water is 1.5ms-1 which is parallel to the river.
    It tell me to say at what angle to the river should he paddle to get straight across
    I have no idea how to do this

ReputationRep:
    In order to stay straight, he must paddle with a velocity of 1.5m/s in the opposite direction to that which the river is flowing. You know his speed is 3m/s. You can therefore draw a right-angled triangle, with hypotenuse 3. The other two sides are the two perpendicular components of his velocity (i.e 1.5 and 3/2 root3 [irrelevant]). Now use some trig to find the angle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel Freedman)
    In order to stay straight, he must paddle with a velocity of 1.5m/s in the opposite direction to that which the river is flowing. You know his speed is 3m/s. You can therefore draw a right-angled triangle, with hypotenuse 3. The other two sides are the two perpendicular components of his velocity (i.e 1.5 and 3/2 root3 [irrelevant]). Now use some trig to find the angle.
    what? xD

hyp = 3 (speed of canoe)

op = 1.5 (it is better to understand this as the speed of the water rather then the perpendicular components of velocity)

Spoiler:
    Show

sin\theta = \frac{1.5}{3}

\therefore sin\theta = \frac{1}{2}

edit: i see what your saying, it was a bit confusing sorry xD

ReputationRep:
    Theres something i dont understand about this question do they mean the agle on the opposite end where he is going to or at the start? i dont know which end of the river to meausre the angle
    and i dont understand why you have put 3 as the hyp if you dont mind explaining. I normally would put 3 as the adjacent to work out the hyp to find out its resultant velocity. Sorry for all these questions, i hope you wont mind explaining them

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really matter what angle you give, as long as you tell them where you're measuring from.

Well the question states that the man is able to paddle the canoe with a speed of 3m/s. The biggest the hypotenuse can be is therefore 3 - if the adjacent was 3, the hyoptenuse would be larger, but the man isn't able to paddle that quickly.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really matter what angle you give, as long as you tell them where you're measuring from.

Well the question states that the man is able to paddle the canoe with a speed of 3m/s. The biggest the hypotenuse can be is therefore 3 - if the adjacent was 3, the hyoptenuse would be larger, but the man isn't able to paddle that quickly.
    ok thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.