The Student Room Group

Cambridge college decisions

Hi all! :smile:

I am applying to Cambridge this year and need to make a decision on what college to apply to. I know 'they are all good' but I don't want to leave my application open.

My shortlists is as follows:

Corpus Christi
Christs
Kings
Trinity Hall

I would like a friendly college with cheap cost of living and good facilities.

Any help would be appreciated!!
I'm not sure what you mean by good facilities? You can find out about accommodation facilities, laundry costs, etc. on the college websites. Some things to consider are that King's is a very large college and gets a lot of tourists, Christ's has a 24-hour library with showers, and Trinity Hall is smaller.
Reply 2
Original post by penguingirl18
I'm not sure what you mean by good facilities? You can find out about accommodation facilities, laundry costs, etc. on the college websites. Some things to consider are that King's is a very large college and gets a lot of tourists, Christ's has a 24-hour library with showers, and Trinity Hall is smaller.

Thanks for the info! I just meant amenities - a good library or gym for example. If you are a Cambridge student I was also curios about the culture in the aforementioned colleges. If any are particularly fun, liberal or open that would be a positive for me! Basically I have looked at all the colleges websites (and in person) and I was just trying to see if anyone had any insights I may of missed (e.g. maybe one of them has super bad vibes or is really expensive).

Currently I am thinking of going with Corpus Christi (i think eek) so any specific info would be fab!!
Cheers again!
Original post by mitnic
Thanks for the info! I just meant amenities - a good library or gym for example. If you are a Cambridge student I was also curios about the culture in the aforementioned colleges. If any are particularly fun, liberal or open that would be a positive for me! Basically I have looked at all the colleges websites (and in person) and I was just trying to see if anyone had any insights I may of missed (e.g. maybe one of them has super bad vibes or is really expensive).

Currently I am thinking of going with Corpus Christi (i think eek) so any specific info would be fab!!
Cheers again!

I think you're trying to differentiate them in a way that can't be done. I can't think of any college which doesn't have 'a good library' or 'a good gym'. Even the KFCs are pretty much all of a muchness (£375–£585 p.a.).

I suppose one valid difference is the 'central' colleges which attract a lot of tourists, as opposed to the 'remote' colleges which don't. But even then, you're hardly going to be living in Main Court in your first year, so the presence or absence of tourists is neither here nor there.
Original post by mitnic

Cheers again!

I'm not a Cambridge student, unfortunately - I just did a lot of research on the colleges when I applied. :smile: Trinity Hall has a reputation as friendly, I think, but other than that, I don't have any other information not on the website. TSR has pages on the Cambridge colleges that you might not have seen: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/student/corpus-christi-college-cambridge. They have a bit of extra information. Best of luck with your application!
Original post by mitnic

I am applying to Cambridge this year and need to make a decision on what college to apply to. I know 'they are all good' but I don't want to leave my application open.

Corpus Christi
Christs
Kings
Trinity Hall

You might find that the Alternative Prospectus (https://www.applytocambridge.com/) is useful it was written by students at each college. (Albeit quite a few years ago you can find some pictures of a much younger me on there!) There's also useful information on the TSR Wiki.

But I agree, it's very hard to compare these colleges beyond the basics of geography and size. I see your shortlist is all older, more central colleges, though a mix of larger and smaller. Is this a deliberate decision because it's something that attracts you, or do you think it's coincidence?
Reply 6
Original post by mitnic

Corpus Christi
Christs
Kings
Trinity Hall

Hello! I’m going to Downing College for law this October so I’ll talk you through my reasoning. All the colleges are brilliant educationally, so I’d suggest maybe considering these things:
- Location of your college in comparison to your department site (for reference, Downing is about a 20 minutes walk from the Faculty of Law)
- Accommodation (some colleges have better accommodation than others, like the number of en suites)
- Facilities (Downing has a theatre which really appealed to me)
- Look (this sounds really silly but colleges differ architecturally, so some colleges are older looking, and others are more modern like Churchill)

Personally, I’d probably say King’s is my favourite out of your shortlist, but all colleges in Cambridge are brilliant but also wildly different so choose what you love the most.

Hope this helped!
Reply 7
Original post by renherd
Hello! I’m going to Downing College for law this October so I’ll talk you through my reasoning. All the colleges are brilliant educationally, so I’d suggest maybe considering these things:
- Location of your college in comparison to your department site (for reference, Downing is about a 20 minutes walk from the Faculty of Law)
- Accommodation (some colleges have better accommodation than others, like the number of en suites)
- Facilities (Downing has a theatre which really appealed to me)
- Look (this sounds really silly but colleges differ architecturally, so some colleges are older looking, and others are more modern like Churchill)

Personally, I’d probably say King’s is my favourite out of your shortlist, but all colleges in Cambridge are brilliant but also wildly different so choose what you love the most.

Hope this helped!

hey, how much do you like downing? im thinking of applying for history and politics. I am between downing and Selwyn atm.
Reply 8
Original post by Bella.3
hey, how much do you like downing? im thinking of applying for history and politics. I am between downing and Selwyn atm.

Well I’ve been to Downing twice (for a total of four days, experiencing the accommodation, food and other facilities both times) and it just gets better and better! As well as amazing accommodation and a theatre and art gallery on-site, it’s very central (so a short walk to any academic site, as well as shopping centres) and there are plenty of societies too! I’d personally advocate for Downing.
Original post by penguingirl18

Just to jump in on this - while I’m sure it will not be the turning point of your application, I can confirm that Christ’s does not in fact have showers in the library 😭

I think this is a running joke/rumour in Cambridge given our stereotype as the “academic” college haha
Original post by mitnic

Corpus Christi
Christs
Kings
Trinity Hall

Heya!
If it helps, here is a free Oxbridge college comparison tool which compares all of the colleges in a lot of detail!

Milena G.
Oxbridge Mind
Reply 11
Original post by Saracen's Fez
You might find that the Alternative Prospectus (https://www.applytocambridge.com/) is useful it was written by students at each college. (Albeit quite a few years ago you can find some pictures of a much younger me on there!) There's also useful information on the TSR Wiki.

But I agree, it's very hard to compare these colleges beyond the basics of geography and size. I see your shortlist is all older, more central colleges, though a mix of larger and smaller. Is this a deliberate decision because it's something that attracts you, or do you think it's coincidence?

Yes! When I went I decided I preferred older more central colleges for a variety of reasons, so definitely not a coincidence. I did realise there were some bigger some smaller, I think generally I am leaning towards the smaller though but I'm not really sure - any insight into big vs small??

Also when you were there were there any colleges that people were all wishing they were at? Or was there any general consensus on any specific good/bad colleges?

Thanks a million for the response!
Reply 12
Original post by CJStevens
Just to jump in on this - while I’m sure it will not be the turning point of your application, I can confirm that Christ’s does not in fact have showers in the library 😭

I think this is a running joke/rumour in Cambridge given our stereotype as the “academic” college haha

Hello! :smile:

Christ's was lovely when I went (nice library! (even if it doesn't have showers)) I was wondering if you had any insider insights or reviews. Were there any surprises (good or bad)? And finally do you have any opinions, rumours, recommendations or cautions on any of my shortlisted colleges (which is my first message)?

Also sorry if I just assumed your were a current Cambridge student from your previous message (any other current students are MORE than welcome to answer these fab questions too!!) :biggrin:

Thank you for a crucial myth debunking.
Reply 13
Original post by OxbridgeMind
Heya!
If it helps, here is a free Oxbridge college comparison tool which compares all of the colleges in a lot of detail!

Milena G.
Oxbridge Mind

Looks amazing! Thanks for sharing :smile:!
Original post by mitnic

Corpus Christi
Christs
Kings
Trinity Hall

I would go for Christ's College, Cambridge University or perhaps Clare College, Cambridge University!!! :biggrin:

Here is a free eBook about Oxbridge: https://storage.googleapis.com/wp-static/oxbridgeapplications.com/2019/11/Tell-Me-About-A-Banana-e-Book.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest