Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently read an article in the Nursing standard (publication by the RCN) about the lack of sanitary towels in zimbabwe. Now, as women in the UK and western world we take things like tampons for granted, however a long time ago the ways we dealt with menstruation lead to infection, infertility and even death- luckily a rarity.

However, due to zimbabwes inflation at 1000%, sanitary producers pulled out due to the dire situation. A pack of sanitary towels in zimbabwe now costs half a monthly wage! When women complained, the men in parliament simply laughed.

ACTSA, Dignity! period campaign has gone on to provide sanitary towels to those women, however not to all who need it. Many women resort to newspapers, which leads to fatal infections.

In kenya aswell, its been reported that young girls who do not have acsess to sanitary towels miss lessons or can even stop going to school altogether while menstruating.

Today we take for granted new inventions such as super tampons, moon cups etc...however women are dying due to taking this for granted, and are being put out of leading normal lives because of this.

Even though this is a minor issue, in a huge problem africa and the 3rd world have, it's definately made me feel grateful for the NHS I have here, the acsessibility and convenience we have to such products, and how much they make our lives easier!

Anyway, this is basically letting women know, the situation in other countries, and even though you may complain about periods...well, it could be worse girls

http://www.actsa.org/page-1022-Digni...20Period..html

Have a gander round here, and let me know what you think about this situation, what could be done?

ReputationRep:
    Given the choice I'd rather eat.

ReputationRep:
    i know it's the same in bangladesh
    it's quite sad really, when i went i was shocked... although i should've expected it

some women use pieces of material and then they wash it out and dry it :no: things like this imo shouldn't still be an issue at an age like this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tami*)
    i know it's the same in bangladesh
    it's quite sad really, when i went i was shocked... although i should've expected it

some women use pieces of material and then they wash it out and dry it :no: things like this imo shouldn't still be an issue at an age like this
    in the western world, today, we have re-usable pads!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    :eek2: really...? how late am i :o: lol

but still, the whole material business is just so much worse...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's awful isn't it. I'm volunteering in Kenya in January and they're running a huge sanitary towel project - I've been asked to bring some with me to give to the girls. It's awful, they often just have a bit of cloth which they share with their mother/sisters and miss so much school. And can you imagine it in that heat as well? It's dreadful.

Don't even get me started on female 'circumcision'...

ReputationRep:
    That's just kinda.. ewwie.

ReputationRep:
    Anna...It says your Permanently Banned? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramble)
    you clearly have never had a period - most of the females in the UK are paranoid about cleanliness with them and rightly so, an infection up there would be nasty!

ReputationRep:
    Well what did people in western word do 200 years ago do? they used rags that they used to soak clean and re-use.
    I'm pretty sure this is used in the eastern world.
    Tampons aren't allowed in the Islamic world for obvious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    You do realise what recent inventions santitary pads and tampons are right. I mean yeah it's awful and it would be wonderful if it weren't like that, but at the end of the day it's no worse than the thousands and thousands of people who haven't got clean water, or who die of diseases they don't understand like AIDs or even worse things which could be treated easily like diarroea.

ReputationRep:
    super tampons
    how i misread that as "suagr tampons" i dont know.

ReputationRep:
    They really need something like mooncups, that can be re-used. Poor women.

ReputationRep:
    is there not anyway a campaign in the UK could be set up, say in association with Always or Tampax for example to donate so many per pack bought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblebee)
    You do realise what recent inventions santitary pads and tampons are right. I mean yeah it's awful and it would be wonderful if it weren't like that, but at the end of the day it's no worse than the thousands and thousands of people who haven't got clean water, or who die of diseases they don't understand like AIDs or even worse things which could be treated easily like diarroea.
    This. I respect your desire to change this situation, but i think since it does fall under similar categories as AIDS, food shortages - things people are dying of at a much higher rate than unclean periods, or w/e, not much will change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramble)
    THIS.

There are still people out there who don't even have clean water, or food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    They really need something like mooncups, that can be re-used. Poor women.
    They're much more hygeinic than pads but the problem over there is that they often don't have access to clean potable water to wash it with, which could lead to infection and its consequences because of the dirty water.

ReputationRep:
    why cant they be all put on the pill permanently - stops periods and prevents pregnancy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devilgirl999)
    why cant they be all put on the pill permanently - stops periods and prevents pregnancy
    who's gonna pay for that then? you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_end_has_a_start)
    is there not anyway a campaign in the UK could be set up, say in association with Always or Tampax for example to donate so many per pack bought
    Bodyform are running a campaign - I believe if you buy promotional packs some of the money goes to this initiative.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.