Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know what a "moon cup" was so I googled and stumbled upon this website.

Just a quote,
    I love my mooncup - was a bit dubious at first when I started using it about 4 years ago, like you, but tampons didn't feel right anymore, even the unbleached ones - so much waste! So bit the bullet and got a mooncup (they come in two sizes one for women who've given birth vaginally and one that's smaller for those who haven't, and cost around £17) I had to do a bit of workk on my pelvic floors Wink but it's great now. Feels really empowering as a woman - can't really explain why but it does. I understand and appreciate my cycle and feel more at ease and comfortable with my body and periods now. Occasionally I give my blood to the garden but that's only if I'm feeling a bit overly feminine like on the full moon
    :lolwut: Now there's nothing *wrong* with this but.... :lolwut:

Anywho, yeah there are a lot of downsides to living in a poorly developed country. A lot.

ReputationRep:
    How does it cause infections?

It's a bit gross to think of all the waste which sending them disposable products will create. I say get them clean water and reusable sanitary towels/menstrual cups.

ReputationRep:
    I think I read somewhere that in the olden days we (as in us westerners) used to just let it run into our shifts because it was considered unhealthy to cover that area with anything. It was thought it would start rotting if it got covered during any time.

ReputationRep:
    "shifts"...?

(Original post by annarchy)
    Anywho, yeah there are a lot of downsides to living in a poorly developed country. A lot.
    biggest understatement award goes to....

and the upsides are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annarchy)
    I didn't know what a "moon cup" was so I googled and stumbled upon this website.

Just a quote,

Occasionally I give my blood to the garden but that's only if I'm feeling a bit overly feminine like on the full moon
    :lolwut: Now there's nothing *wrong* with this but.... :lolwut:

HAHA that's brilliant!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fandellos)
    "shifts"...?

A big long dress you wore under a dress. Apparently they let it go free flowing before they decided that maybe the vagina wouldn't rot if they started using washable moss fillable pads with special belt like attatchments.

ReputationRep:
    I remember reading in a book the story of the girls in this village who all walked really weirdly (like making big arcs with their legs)...
    Because they needed to use rare leaves that they redried every month to catch the blood, and it gave their legs massive welts, that even the elderly ladies still had them. This was in China.

It's so horrible, but yeah, Mooncups, or re washable sea sponges are the way forward. The Western World are already way too reliant on everything disposable.

This is the charity I'd love to give all my money to... http://www.clitoraid.org/news.php . It's so sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumTheory)
    This is the charity I'd love to give all my money to... http://www.clitoraid.org/news.php . It's so sad
    Christ.

I almost cried at the story on this page http://www.clitoraid.org/page.php?3

This happened to a close friend's mother, in Egypt. It makes me want to actually be sick. And then scream. I would give all my money if women never had to go through this ever again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciara)
    Yeah, it's awful isn't it. I'm volunteering in Kenya in January and they're running a huge sanitary towel project - I've been asked to bring some with me to give to the girls. It's awful, they often just have a bit of cloth which they share with their mother/sisters and miss so much school. And can you imagine it in that heat as well? It's dreadful.

Don't even get me started on female 'circumcision'...
    The side effects of female circumcision are absolutely dreadful-infection, keloid(?) scarring, makes it far more dangerous to give birth, infections, death. But in parts of Africa and the Middle East it's weird for women not to have it done-they honestly find it disgusting if a woman doesn't have it done. And it is pretty much a requirement for a woman to get married.

Oh and justifications for it: a 'religious requirement' (though not backed up by religious text as I'm aware, these women are lied to), to control female sexuality (especially in places where men and women associate with each other)...oh and 'tradition'...

It's a complex issue and governments can't really be seen to do anything about it when there are far more 'pressing' issues such as food and war. It makes me so sad to hear that this kind of stuff goes on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTC199)
    you clearly have never had a period - most of the females in the UK are paranoid about cleanliness with them and rightly so, an infection up there would be nasty!
    I've been waiting for 18 years and I still haven't had one. Do you think I should see my doctor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lell)
    The side effects of female circumcision are absolutely dreadful-infection, keloid(?) scarring, makes it far more dangerous to give birth, infections, death. But in Africa/ Middle Eastern places it's weird for women not to have it done-they honestly find it disgusting if a woman doesn't have it done. And it is pretty much a requirement for a woman to get married.

Oh and justifications for it: a 'religious requirement' (though not backed up by religious text as I'm aware, these women are lied to), to control female sexuality (especially in places where men and women associate with each other)...oh and 'tradition'...

It's a complex issue and governments can't really be seen to do anything about it when there are far more 'pressing' issues such as food and war. It makes me so sad to hear that this kind of stuff goes on

Can you please not generalise the whole of the Middle East. I can't speak for Africa, but this is not common practise in the whole of the Middle East. Just certain pockets. It's certainly not all women in the M.E. Not by a longshot. At all.

You know, not all Arabs are backwards...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Can you please not generalise the whole of the Middle East. I can't speak for Africa, but this is not common practise in the whole of the Middle East. Just certain pockets. It's certainly not all women in the M.E. Not by a longshot. At all.

Doesn't happen everywhere in Africa either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)

I said 'Middle Eastern places' as I couldn't remember the parts where it occurs. I didn't mean the whole of the ME.

Please highlight where I said 'all Arabs are backwards' because I am not quite sure....rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devilgirl999)
    why cant they be all put on the pill permanently - stops periods and prevents pregnancy
    Seriously, did you just suggest we put the entire third world on the pill, that is either genius or insanity...or maybe insane genius...but probably just insanity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by she)
    Doesn't happen everywhere in Africa either.
    Edited my post to make this clear:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    In those sorts of places they seem to be preggers or don't have enough body fat to mensturate most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devilgirl999)
    why cant they be all put on the pill permanently - stops periods and prevents pregnancy
    what an awful violation of their human rights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syntax Terrier)
    In those sorts of places they seem to be preggers or don't have enough body fat to mensturate most of the time.

the fact that they look 'preggers' as you so nicely put it is a result of severe mal nurishment. insensitive.

ReputationRep:
    This is so upsetting, I have always wondered how women during the war days and ones who're living in Third World countries cope with their periods. Harsh realities of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    They really need something like mooncups, that can be re-used. Poor women.
    If they can't afford to buy normal sanitary products, how can they afford/have the facilities to clean a mooncup properly?

(in any case mooncup = eeew)

----

I agree with whoever pointed out this is one of many problems of the third world...Surely lack of food, clean water and basic healthcare facilities/drugs are even more pressing matters? Childhood disease and high infant mortality rates would surely kill many before girls even reached the age to menstruate.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.