Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you sterilise stuff like that safely at home?

ReputationRep:
    You can't steralize anything properly without special equipment.
    I'm worried as to why your asking this as annon, what are you planning on doing?

Oh right ok, so things like fire/boiling water don't work?
    I'm not doing anything stupid, i'd rather be anon though.

ReputationRep:
    Surgical spirit?? Dettol??

It really depends what you are using them for.

ReputationRep:
    Boiling water and fire both work.

Be careful and I hope you're not planning anything self-destructive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Oh right ok, so things like fire/boiling water don't work?
    I'm not doing anything stupid, i'd rather be anon though.
    You can boil it, and then put it in a naked flame for a while, but seriously, you can't really sterilise stuff properly without an autoclave...

ReputationRep:
    erm..in the lab we sterilise things under a flame. Babies bottles are sterilised in microwaves/boiling water.

ReputationRep:
    You can't sterilize metal with flame the soot can cause bacteria or depedending on the metal if it's coated the coating will flake off or it will melt.

You can't put metal into a microwave as it's dangerous

Bleach will sterilize well but obviously depending on how you use it, bleach is a harmful chemical.

Best bet would to be boil some water in a pan and add salt to kill bacteria and let it boil for ages. Don't let it come into contact with anything else don't towel dry leave it to dry.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a pressure cooker that would sterilise them, but as soon as you take them out they start getting contaminated.

ReputationRep:
    Rubbing alcohol - some pure isopropyl will kill.

Thank you for the replies everyone, but I don't have an autoclave, just normal household stuff.

(Original post by Jinxy)
    You can't sterilize metal with flame the soot can cause bacteria or depedending on the metal if it's coated the coating will flake off or it will melt.

You can't put metal into a microwave as it's dangerous

Bleach will sterilize well but obviously depending on how you use it, bleach is a harmful chemical.

Best bet would to be boil some water in a pan and add salt to kill bacteria and let it boil for ages. Don't let it come into contact with anything else don't towel dry leave it to dry.
    Thanks for this. How much salt and boil for how long?

What are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you for the replies everyone, but I don't have an autoclave, just normal household stuff.

Thanks for this. How much salt and boil for how long?

I'd say a tablespoon and boil till water bubbles.

I hope whatever your doing is safe, I'm not a supporter of self harm or anything of the sort. If your simply wanting to clean/sterilize something to make it clean, then I understand lol.

ReputationRep:
    pressure cooker for 25-35 minutes is enough & what I used at a charity neutering clinic in the caribbean - didn't get any post-op infections. If you're wanting to cut can I suggest that you speak to someone. Call childline if you're under 18, or someone like the samaritans, if you want to remain anonymous. You could also go to your GP.

Edit: most plastic bits will melt if you do this BTW

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.