Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm a fresher and I've made some lovely friends but they're all in the same halls, I only live across a courtyard but they all congregate in their kitchen/rooms and sometimes forget to tell me if they're going somewhere (i think they genuinely do....)
    I don't have a lot of confidence and I'm not as funny/clever/interesting as them, i try to be smiley and outgoing and happy but i feel so scared, i was bullied pretty badly by some 'friends' about 5 years ago and i never quite recovered, i feel like i'm invading their flat when i'm there because i don't live in that building.

i guess i just want some pointers on how to come across as happy and carefree, just a bit of reassurance i spose...

I feel exactly like that at uni I am friends with about 4 different friendship groups but feel like I'm not actually *in* any friendship groups. I just feel like the outsider that sometimes hangs around. I'm probably being paranoid though and so are you - I seem to be liked by them but for some reason I can't stop thinking that they all actually hate me or something Don't really have any advice, sorry, just thought I'd let you know that you're not the only one.

Oh also, I was bullied between 2001-2004 by people from a different school (not friends) and that has really affected my confidence too. Maybe you need counselling? I'm not sure sorry

ReputationRep:
    i feel the same myself and was bullied from p4 right until i left 6th form. but i think everyone will feel like that at uni for a wee while

ReputationRep:
    I was in a very similar situation, and the only way is to push yourself into the group, talk to them loads of facebook etc, suggest nights out, have people over to your flat, go shopping together etc.

ReputationRep:
    take the initiative and be friendly..i hope it all works out

ReputationRep:
    Go round to their flats. Or invite them over to yours.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.