The Student Room Group

what are my chances of vet school?

I'm from Hong Kong, at the moment I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths for my International A Levels. (All A in AS, 100/100 in pure maths 1 and 2, predict A* for chemistry and mathematics! but I didn't have any IGCSE/GCSE results...)
-
I prefer Edinburgh, and RVC! (prefer Edinburgh more!)
-
For work experience, I've done 2 internships (one related to human medicine, and one related to animal tests) and will be starting my placement at small animal clinic this week for about 2 weeks time. (I know it is a bit short but because of the pandemic, they don't accept students! can someone tell me what to do!)
Volunteer experiences waise, I've done cat, dogs, and horses! (also trying to work at pigs farms and alpaca farms!)
-
I actually thought of Cambridge but my chance will be low, is it?
What are my chances of Vet Med? and what work experience should I prioritize? (farms are difficult in Hong Kong but I will try my best!) Thank you!
Original post by kikichanwk
I'm from Hong Kong, at the moment I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths for my International A Levels. (All A in AS, 100/100 in pure maths 1 and 2, predict A* for chemistry and mathematics! but I didn't have any IGCSE/GCSE results...)
-
I prefer Edinburgh, and RVC! (prefer Edinburgh more!)
-
For work experience, I've done 2 internships (one related to human medicine, and one related to animal tests) and will be starting my placement at small animal clinic this week for about 2 weeks time. (I know it is a bit short but because of the pandemic, they don't accept students! can someone tell me what to do!)
Volunteer experiences waise, I've done cat, dogs, and horses! (also trying to work at pigs farms and alpaca farms!)
-
I actually thought of Cambridge but my chance will be low, is it?
What are my chances of Vet Med? and what work experience should I prioritize? (farms are difficult in Hong Kong but I will try my best!) Thank you!

I'm also from Hong Kong?
I'm curious where do you get a chance at human medicine internships?
I've been looking for them for some times and I find none that's available for a secondary students.
I think you have a very good profile for vet med, the only thing is I would check in with the unis via email that they’re okay with you not having GCSEs because I know for home students this is something they look at, but it may be different in your circumstances. I would also just caution against having major preferences for vet school and make sure you apply to 4 schools to maximise your chances as it is very competitive and many applicants come out with no or one offer - I didn’t get any the first time I applied, then when I reapplied I got one. I’m not sure on your chances for Cambridge (the GCSE situation may or may not be an issue) but it is important to note that it is not better for vet med than other unis unlike it is known for in other subjects. I think it is good that you have a mix of work experience so you’re doing well on that front, just make sure you do meet the minimum requirements for whatever uni you’re applying to and I’d prioritise trying to get some more farm if possible as it is very good experience that prepares you for uni, for example lambing, dairy, beef cattle, pigs or poultry. It is quality over quantity (as long as over the min requirements), but doing more will show more commitment and also the more you see the more you can talk about in interviews etc. Make sure to get references after you finish a placement in case unis ask (Surrey has an example of a reference you could use) and that you keep a diary of what you did, saw, etc and that you analyse it well to make a strong discussion of how these experiences have taught you skills for how to be a good vet/vet student as that is bound to come up in applications.

So overall, as long as you email the unis to make sure having no GCSEs is okay, I’d say you already have a pretty good initial profile and I’d carry on as you are with getting more work experience, but it is hard to say chances for sure as your offer basically entirely depends on how you fill out the forms and how your interviews go once you meet minimum grade and work exp requirements.
Original post by palalalati
I'm also from Hong Kong?
I'm curious where do you get a chance at human medicine internships?
I've been looking for them for some times and I find none that's available for a secondary students.

I see! My family is really close with some doctors so I was able to find one! Before covid, the public hospital will also have some program for high school students! You can try reaching out nearby clinics via emails/calls!!
Original post by RambleAmple
I think you have a very good profile for vet med, the only thing is I would check in with the unis via email that they’re okay with you not having GCSEs because I know for home students this is something they look at, but it may be different in your circumstances. I would also just caution against having major preferences for vet school and make sure you apply to 4 schools to maximise your chances as it is very competitive and many applicants come out with no or one offer - I didn’t get any the first time I applied, then when I reapplied I got one. I’m not sure on your chances for Cambridge (the GCSE situation may or may not be an issue) but it is important to note that it is not better for vet med than other unis unlike it is known for in other subjects. I think it is good that you have a mix of work experience so you’re doing well on that front, just make sure you do meet the minimum requirements for whatever uni you’re applying to and I’d prioritise trying to get some more farm if possible as it is very good experience that prepares you for uni, for example lambing, dairy, beef cattle, pigs or poultry. It is quality over quantity (as long as over the min requirements), but doing more will show more commitment and also the more you see the more you can talk about in interviews etc. Make sure to get references after you finish a placement in case unis ask (Surrey has an example of a reference you could use) and that you keep a diary of what you did, saw, etc and that you analyse it well to make a strong discussion of how these experiences have taught you skills for how to be a good vet/vet student as that is bound to come up in applications.

So overall, as long as you email the unis to make sure having no GCSEs is okay, I’d say you already have a pretty good initial profile and I’d carry on as you are with getting more work experience, but it is hard to say chances for sure as your offer basically entirely depends on how you fill out the forms and how your interviews go once you meet minimum grade and work exp requirements.

Thanks a lot! I will send emails to the universities, and try to contact pig farms (and maybe alpaca farms too)!
I think you stand quite a solid chance - I would check the english language requirements if you are applying from overseas as many universities require a passed SELT in the place of having an English language GCSE.

In terms of Cambridge it sounds like you would have the A levels to be competitive - and only a low number of people apply to Cambridge as they have your reservations about not feeling like they will get in - so statistically Cambridge has a higher chance of an applicant receiving an offer than many other universities.
Have you looked at the international fees for your target universities?
Edinburgh- £34k per year
RVC - £38k per year
Cambridge- £61k tuition plus £10K college fees per year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending