This discussion is closed.
ponjavic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Ok so I have this car 78' Triumph TR7 or something (yes originally English but we have the American version), mom and dad's wedding gift
I currently live in Sweden and me and my dad has been working with the car, fixin it up and I'm about to get my drivers license.
I might be going to England next year for uni, possibly London. I'm wondering if should bring my car.
Will the transition from right side driving to left be very hard, especially if you don't have too much experience driving and will the fact that the driver's seat is on the wrong side have any impact?
Or should I just buy a new crappy car or will I even need one?
And yeah is gas expensive in England?

What's your take on this?
Taldarion
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i'm personally not having a car at uni. i think you'll end up paying so much for it. Think petrol, then on top of that insurance, MOT's, and maintainance (especially if it's an old banger). Much cheaper to walk or take the bus!
ponjavic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Taldarion)
i'm personally not having a car at uni. i think you'll end up paying so much for it. Think petrol, then on top of that insurance, MOT's, and maintainance (especially if it's an old banger). Much cheaper to walk or take the bus!
Dunno if you have the same rules as in Sweden, for veteran cars as in 25+ our insurance is really cheap
Taldarion
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not positive about the whole insurance thing since i havnet driven in the UK or even been there for 5years. But i think that would probably be about right. But if you'rte a new driver that would probably mean the insurance would be quite high
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Insurance over here is based on a number of things. These include:

Your age.
Your driving experience - After a year without claiming your insurance can take a huge cut.
Where you live - Premiums are effected by the area in which you live, and each postal code will cost less/more dependant on the car crime etc in the area.
Value of the Car - Obviously a newer car is going to cost more to insure then an older car.
Engine size/Performance - For a first car, anything above a 1.4 engine is going to be fairly expenisve to insure.
Modifications - Any modifications to a car will effect the insurance. For example, your typical boy racer will add to his premium by modding the car with exhausts, alloys, air filters etc.

Also, if you fit the car with an immobiliser or house it in a garage, it should help.

As for the car, i'd just get a fairly cheap one when you get over here. My freind goes to Uni and drives a Punto, which is a fairly good idea for a first car i guess.
EPD
Badges: 11
Report 14 years ago
If you're in London, I wouldn't bother with one.
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by elpollodiablouk)
If you're in London, I wouldn't bother with one.
Haha.

I dont think i'd bover driving if i lived there. Not that i drive anyway, but i wouldn't bother getting a car at all there.
Butterfly
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You would be mad to use a car at a London university...especially with the 8pound congestion charge :eek:
glenn321
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ponjavic)
Ok so I have this car 78' Triumph TR7 or something (yes originally English but we have the American version), mom and dad's wedding gift
I currently live in Sweden and me and my dad has been working with the car, fixin it up and I'm about to get my drivers license.
I might be going to England next year for uni, possibly London. I'm wondering if should bring my car.
Will the transition from right side driving to left be very hard, especially if you don't have too much experience driving and will the fact that the driver's seat is on the wrong side have any impact?
Or should I just buy a new crappy car or will I even need one?
And yeah is gas expensive in England?

What's your take on this?

i have a TR6 its slightly older than a TR7 but they r better an faster its right hand drive thou, an its not orig#anl if its a left hand drive. an yer gas (fuel) is expensive over here an if your TR7 is a big engine one which prob will be if its Emerican then u will be spending all your money on gas. so if i was u i would buy a crapp* car over here
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That car is going to cost a furtune to insure, old so it probably dosn';t have much security, big engine. Basicaly if you're under 30 you probably can't afford to insure it here. Then you have MOTs and road tax to worry about. MOTing old cars these days gets harder and harder because they are very strict on emissions.
idajensen
Report 14 years ago
You'd be mad to take it! a) Nice care = nice target b) lots of unis dont provide parkinfg, some even forbid undergrads from having cars there c) Ever driven in cph? Thats BLISS compated to london. Even here in myldretid, is better than london at quiet times. d) If you want to drive through central london, you have to pay a fee, thats like 5 quid or something, every time you drive through a zone e) petrol is expensive, 85-90p a litre on avg f) the only places to park in london that arent attached to the building etc generally have INSANE fees

So no, not a good idea. Bring your bike
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
it means your blindspots will be reversed and you'll constantly feel like you are undertaking (passing on the wrong side)

its slightly more dangerous
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
11.11%
No (8)
88.89%

Watched Threads