The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Clearing 2022

I’m an international student who is using the result of my local tertiary education to apply for Clearing. I submitted an application on 19/8 in the morning (nearly GMT 5-6am) at Lancaster University web for BA in English Lang and Linguistics.

As Lancaster has closed all of the entries in the day’s afternoon and might send offers to those successful applicants on the day. Yet I have not yet received any response from the school or admission office til this moment, is that an automatic reject (no matter an unqualified entry requirement nor none of the vacancies left for the program), or my application was being missed? Is this a normal situation or it doesn't?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m an international student who is using the result of my local tertiary education to apply for Clearing. I submitted an application on 19/8 in the morning (nearly GMT 5-6am) at Lancaster University web for BA in English Lang and Linguistics.

As Lancaster has closed all of the entries in the day’s afternoon and might send offers to those successful applicants on the day. Yet I have not yet received any response from the school or admission office til this moment, is that an automatic reject (no matter an unqualified entry requirement nor none of the vacancies left for the program), or my application was being missed? Is this a normal situation or it doesn't?

You say you, "submitted an application on 19/8 in the morning (nearly GMT 5-6am) at Lancaster University web". Does that mean that you didn't apply via UCAS, but applied directly via the university? Their "Clearing: how to apply" page, here, says, "you will need to make a UCAS account in order to apply". I can see no mechanism via which you can actually apply directly, and assume that you must have applied via UCAS. Is that right?

The UCAS "What is Clearing" page, here, says "Before you add a Clearing choice in your application, you need to call the uni and give them your Clearing number (you can find this in your application), and Personal ID, so they can look it up." You can thereby "Ask if they'd accept you" and "Get informal offers over the phone". Did you receive an informal offer from Lancaster? This is important because you should "Only add a Clearing choice once you have permission from the university or college."

It may be that you did call the uni, did ask whether they'll accept you, did receive an informal offer - but you don't mention any of this in your post. Hence why I'm trying to understand better what has happened.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Sorry for the inadequate information from me for the enquiry and thanks for trying to guide me here. Indeed, I do have a UCAS account and ID, which have already been sent to the university via the online application.

I understand that I have to wait for the informal offer so that I can add it as my Clearing choice. What I mean is, I have sent my things to the university with none of the responses for several days (it might also regard the holiday maybe?), no matter a rejection or confirmation offer via email. Therefore, I am extremely confused about the status of my application, especially since I noticed that Lancaster contacted those successful applicants on Friday night.
Original post by DataVenia
You say you, "submitted an application on 19/8 in the morning (nearly GMT 5-6am) at Lancaster University web". Does that mean that you didn't apply via UCAS, but applied directly via the university? Their "Clearing: how to apply" page, here, says, "you will need to make a UCAS account in order to apply". I can see no mechanism via which you can actually apply directly, and assume that you must have applied via UCAS. Is that right?

The UCAS "What is Clearing" page, here, says "Before you add a Clearing choice in your application, you need to call the uni and give them your Clearing number (you can find this in your application), and Personal ID, so they can look it up." You can thereby "Ask if they'd accept you" and "Get informal offers over the phone". Did you receive an informal offer from Lancaster? This is important because you should "Only add a Clearing choice once you have permission from the university or college."

It may be that you did call the uni, did ask whether they'll accept you, did receive an informal offer - but you don't mention any of this in your post. Hence why I'm trying to understand better what has happened.
Sorry for the inadequate information from me for the enquiry and thanks for trying to guide me here. Indeed, I do have a UCAS account and ID, which have already been sent to the university via the online application.

I understand that I have to wait for the informal offer so that I can add it as my Clearing choice. What I mean is, I have sent my things to the university with none of the responses for several days (it might also regard the holiday maybe?), no matter a rejection or confirmation offer via email. Therefore, I am extremely confused about the status of my application, especially since I noticed that Lancaster contacted those successful applicants on Friday night.

Thank you for the additional information. Their Clearing page (here) currently says, "We have no more vacancies for 2022". However. on Thursday morning it said, "The best way to get a clearing offer quickly is to give us a call. In the UK: 0800 298 9542 Outside the UK: +44 (0)1524 931300 You can also apply online." From what you'd said, it seems that you clicked the "apply online" link. Is that right?

According to the instructions on that page, "Once you have submitted your application, we will provide you with a reference number." Did you receive a reference number? The same page says, "Once we have reviewed your application, we will contact you by email with our decision. If we require any further information in order to make a decision, we will get in touch by email." Apparently, that hasn't happened. Have you checked your spam/junk folder?

I suggest that you call them (or e-mail them if you must, but calling will be much quicker), quoting the reference number provided to you by the online application form, and ask them for a status update. Given that their Clearing page says, "We have no more vacancies for 2022" you're application has almost certainly been unsuccessful - but you should still try to establish why you did not receive an e-mail from them telling you that.

I suggest you look for other universities which still have Clearing spaces in the courses you are interested in. Good luck.

Hi Anon!

Please call the enquiries hotline at your earliest convenience.

Enquiries hotline:

UK number: 0800 298 9542

Calling from outside the UK: +44 1524 931300

If you are unable to call please email asap. [email protected]

Hope this helps!

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest