The Student Room Group

Creative writing degree to be a writer?

I know you don't need a degree for this but is it better to do a creative writing degree, English literature or a combined degree of both if I want to be an author when I am older?
Hi @EH34

This is a good question. I didn't study this subject myself, but I spoke with some of our English and Creative Writing students at Chichester a little while back for a webinar we recorded. This gave me some insight into how these two subjects differ and also can be taught together on a joint option.

For a very simple explanation, Creative Writing will focus entirely on the creation of your own written work in various forms (short/long prose, poems, screenplays). You may do bits of analysis and literature based modules, but the majority will be on honing your own writing skills. English Literature is instead focused on the analysis of pre-existing works. But again, this isn't limited to one form - it can include poetry, short stories, longer prose in books/novels. So in a way it is more theory based, than creative based.

In my view, both can help prepare you for writing your own work. Creative Writing will be more apparently applicable given that it is based on writing your own pieces. But the skills you will pick up from being able to analyse and reflect from English Literature can help you in how you convey your own stories and writing. Perhaps a joint degree option would be a best place to start with looking up possible options, but also try and find opportunities to talk with students who are studying those subjects themselves. Unibuddy is a good platform for this. We have one of our English students on there -https://www.chi.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/chat-to-our-students/ But if you also go to Unibuddy's own site you can find many other Universities on there too :smile:

This is the Webinar we recorded earlier this year if you're interested too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2rOGMNQ_rs&list=PLMwhF7NaFQJwRNf9aIxuM3G8Dfgu8R2nc&index=12&t=1736s.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions then do let me know :smile:

Tom
University of Chichester Student Rep and Alumni
Original post by ChichesterStuRep
Hi @EH34

This is a good question. I didn't study this subject myself, but I spoke with some of our English and Creative Writing students at Chichester a little while back for a webinar we recorded. This gave me some insight into how these two subjects differ and also can be taught together on a joint option.

For a very simple explanation, Creative Writing will focus entirely on the creation of your own written work in various forms (short/long prose, poems, screenplays). You may do bits of analysis and literature based modules, but the majority will be on honing your own writing skills. English Literature is instead focused on the analysis of pre-existing works. But again, this isn't limited to one form - it can include poetry, short stories, longer prose in books/novels. So in a way it is more theory based, than creative based.

In my view, both can help prepare you for writing your own work. Creative Writing will be more apparently applicable given that it is based on writing your own pieces. But the skills you will pick up from being able to analyse and reflect from English Literature can help you in how you convey your own stories and writing. Perhaps a joint degree option would be a best place to start with looking up possible options, but also try and find opportunities to talk with students who are studying those subjects themselves. Unibuddy is a good platform for this. We have one of our English students on there -https://www.chi.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/chat-to-our-students/ But if you also go to Unibuddy's own site you can find many other Universities on there too :smile:

This is the Webinar we recorded earlier this year if you're interested too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2rOGMNQ_rs&list=PLMwhF7NaFQJwRNf9aIxuM3G8Dfgu8R2nc&index=12&t=1736s.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions then do let me know :smile:

Tom

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your response. That has added a lot of clarity to the issue. I will consider the combined English literature and creative writing degree, it sounds interesting and it offers the best of both worlds.
Original post by EH34
Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your response. That has added a lot of clarity to the issue. I will consider the combined English literature and creative writing degree, it sounds interesting and it offers the best of both worlds.

You're very welcome! I'm glad I was able to help. Figuring out the right course for you can be a tricky process so it's always good to use resources like Student Room and Unibuddy to ask from others going through the same thing or already went through it :smile:

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to help! I wish you all the best :smile:

Tom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending