The Student Room Group

had help cheating in an exam?

I was just wondering if anyone else had help cheating in a GCSE exam? got an email from my headmaster talking about AQA's concerns about getting help from my German teacher which my whole German class got help with speaking. Will I have to retake my German speaking test again? or will I get disqualified from every AQA board exam??
i'm not 100% sure about this but I think my French teacher might have got into the same/similar situation. I went to see her on sixth form induction day and she told me that the next day some people from AQA needed to see and speak to her. She also helped my entire french class with their speaking exam and told us the prompts/unseen questions beforehand.
I dont know whether we'll get into trouble or not. This is really the fault of the teachers because they helped us.
I doubt you'll get in trouble as it's not your fault if you had easy access to material. But this happened to me as well. My Spanish teacher gave us a list of about 40 questions of what was going to be asked in the speaking a good couple months before the exam. They were split into the 3 themes and she told us she was going to ask us a couple from each theme. So she told us to memorise as many questions as we could. Plus during the speaking she had the exact same sheet of paper with the questions on in front of her, and I was looking straight at the questions during the exam as it was literally right in front of me. No one from AQA has gotten I'm contact with me or the teacher about this. This happened to the whole class aswell. I'm not complaining that I knew the questions tho.
Original post by rundale toodle
I was just wondering if anyone else had help cheating in a GCSE exam? got an email from my headmaster talking about AQA's concerns about getting help from my German teacher which my whole German class got help with speaking. Will I have to retake my German speaking test again? or will I get disqualified from every AQA board exam??

The main issue here is with your teacher and it is the school/the teacher who will face the most serious consequences if any malpractice is confirmed. Any sanction on you will only relate to marks gained from the speaking component that in turn might reduce your overall grade. Since that component forms 25% of your grade it has the potential to significantly affect you but only in German. You will not be disqualified from or affected in any way with other AQA subjects.

I would certainly involve my parents/carers in getting back to the head teacher, asking what impact this will have on students. I would want to be sure the school has explained to AQA that students were unaware they were receiving improper help and it is unfair if they are very severely punished for their teachers error.
(edited 1 year ago)
The relevant body associated with dealing with this, is the JCQ - Joint Council for Qualifications.

According to their document on exam integrity, available at: https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/malpractice#related-documents (Under related documents, downloads first item on the table is a pdf)

It states, firstly:

when malpractice is judged to be the result of a serious management failure within a department
or the whole centre, the awarding body may apply sanctions against the centre. In these
cases, the awarding body may make special arrangements to safeguard the interests of
candidates who might otherwise be adversely affected

So, the department here could refer to your foreign languages department, the one responsible for teaching Germany.

Further to this:

Awarding bodies will endeavour to protect candidates who, through no fault of their own,
are caught up in a malpractice incident. It should, however, be accepted that there may be
instances where the work submitted for assessment does not represent the efforts of the
individual candidates and it may not be possible to give those candidates a result or permit
a result to be retained.
When considering the action to be taken, awarding bodies will balance responsibilities
towards the rest of the cohort and the individuals caught up in the malpractice incident
Results may also not be issued or may be revoked in cases where malpractice has occurred,
but it was not established clearly who was to blame

If malpractice has occurred within the department, but it is unclear who is to blame, then everyone will be punished by not having a result issued.

Finally:

In cases where it is not reasonable or possible to determine responsibility for malpractice,
and where it is clear that the integrity of the examination or assessment has been impaired
in respect of an individual or individuals, the awarding body may decide not to accept the
work submitted or undertaken for assessment or may decide it would be unsafe to make
awards or permit awards to be retained. In these cases, the candidate(s) may re-take,
where available, the examination/assessment at the next opportunity or, where the
qualification permits, provide additional proof of competence

In other words, if the integrity of the whole exam has been impaired because of an individual (your teacher), then the exam body may refuse to accept the work you've submitted and anyone else in the class - that includes the exam and/or any assignments you've submitted that count towards your qualification.

In other words, if the teacher has breached academic integrity during an exam, then the integrity of any/all assignments with that teacher, could also have been compromised as well, from the perspective of the exam board.

Although, I think it's unlikely they would punish students for their assignments for an event occurring during an exam - though it's possible.

Do note: if the teacher helped several people during the exam, it is not reasonable for the exam center to identify everyone who received help and everyone who didn't. Hence, it's likely the whole class in that room with the teacher, would have to resit the exam.

In summary:
Worst case, you and anyone else in the exam room with the teacher, will have to resit any exam you had with that teacher, and potentially (based on the discretion of the exam board), assignments submitted as well involving that teacher.

Although, it's likely it's only a resit for the exam, rather than assignments.

Quick Reply