Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well not really. People pay their respects in different ways and like the two min silence is just tradition really and people are expected to do it.
    Its not a bad thing, if thts not how your dad chooses to pay his respects then he shouldn't have to. Your family aren't disgusting at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    Was with parents yesterday in Tesco cafe and during a conversation we lost track of time. Some guy came up to us and told us to be quiet as it was a silence.

My dad said why and was accused of having no respect for war dead he was cold cruel, uncaring etc, then a woman came over and called my family disgusting and cold and heartless.

My dad was trying to just say that he didnt think that two minutes made a difference, and hes ex army and lost his brother due to war, his dad, his great uncle etc, and asked these two if they had ever been in the army and they said no but somehow they were better people for being quiet for 2 minutes as they had more respect!

My dad respects the memory of the dead but doesnt think it makes much difference being quiet for 2 minutes but remembering them in different ways.

But he and my family are seen as disgusting because of that!

Is this right?
    Tbh I would have said something to you. It's only 2 minutes of not speaking, could you not have managed it?

Even if you weren't thinking of the people who fought you could have at least been quiet. I wouldn't have called you cold and uncaring though =./ But yes, I would have called you disrespectful.

We had it at work and people were speaking. Little rude idiots.

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me of something that really irritated me:
    My friend and I were at the theatre seeing All my sons, and when the father kills himself the son puts his head on his mother's lap to cry. It was a very sad scene etc then these teenage girls in front of us go "EEEE HE'S LICKIN HIS MUM OUT". Horrible and disrespectful.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still reading through the thread, but this caught my attention:

(Original post by numb3rb0y)
    I keep hearing this. My response is simply that the non-Nazi state I do live in isn't necessarily better than a Nazi one, but just as bad in different ways.
    You my friend are a complete, ignorant, deluded son of a *****.

It's nice to be able to express your views behind the comfort and safety of your PC, isn't it?

Utter ****.

ReputationRep:
    You have to respect other peoples wishes at such times, to be honest.

For some people Remembrance Day is very emotional, as they may have loved lost ones to a war.

(Original post by Sithius)
    You my friend are a complete, ignorant, deluded son of a *****.

It's nice to be able to express your views behind the comfort and safety of your PC, isn't it?

Utter ****.
    You know, there is one clear trend that I have noticed in people who use ad hominem attacks; they do not tend to actually have coherent, logical arguments to support their views. If they did, then they would present those, rather than throwing the internet equivalent of a tantrum.

I will, however, say that, without wishing to stoop too far down to your level, that I am perfectly open about my views regarding nationalism and the supposed greatness of the modern West, whether on the internet or off it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You know, there is one clear trend that I have noticed in people who use ad hominem attacks; they do not tend to actually have coherent, logical arguments to support their views. If they did, then they would present those, rather than throwing the internet equivalent of a tantrum.

I will, however, say that, without wishing to stoop too far down to your level, that I am perfectly open about my views regarding nationalism and the supposed greatness of the modern West, whether on the internet or off it.
    Interesting point #26: Trying to use complicated words does not necessarily make one sound clever, and can in fact have quite the opposite effect. This is especially pronounced when used by someone incredibly ignorant.

Yes I did just include an 'ad hominem' attack in there too, well done for noticing.

I find your views, ignorant, arrogant and frankly quite insulting. There is no need to debate with you on most of them as there is frankly just so little knowledge behind your wild claims that it would be pointless. Arguing with you whether the UK currently is the same as Nazi Germany would be like arguing with a 5 year old about quantum physics. When you grow up and get out of this rebellious phase and start making some actual points maybe then we can talk.

Oh and you still haven't explained how nihilist philosophy works .

ReputationRep:
    it's not really disrespectful, like those peoplewere actually remembering anyway, the two minute silence achieves nothing.

Mithra, nihilism is inconsequentialist; it doesn't have to "work". Perhaps you could do some research if you're so interested.

ReputationRep:

You're calling me illogical?

There comes a point where I refuse to debate with someone as deluded as yourself. Indeed, it would be doomed from the start. No, I'd rather smack you six ways to hell instead, you nihilistic little *****.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Mithra, nihilism is inconsequentialist; it doesn't have to "work". Perhaps you could do some research if you're so interested.
    I probably know more about philosophy than you mate. If you are a nihilist then you pretty much believe that nothing matters and that your life is ultimately pointless, I just don't really think that a book based on that theme can be classed as philosophy .

(and yes I know there are lots of more complex things behind it but thats the general gist of it)

(Original post by Mithra)
    I probably know more about philosophy than you mate. If you are a nihilist then you pretty much believe that nothing matters and that your life is ultimately pointless, I just don't really think that a book based on that theme can be classed as philosophy .

(and yes I know there are lots of more complex things behind it but thats the general gist of it)
    You're making unfounded assumptions. Nihilism does not have a real end-point, but then if it did them it'd be a little self-contradictory. There are plenty of philosophers who have espoused nihilist views, whether in entirety or in various specific areas. I'm hardly going to feel put down because you don't like nihilism for whatever reason, as it's not as if I've ever had a choice about believing that there is there is no great point to existence. You're entitled to freedom of conscience so you can class philosophy as whatever you want, but that won't change generally accepted definitions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FiveFiveSix)
    Oh, and guys - the silence is not remembering WAR. It's about commemorating ALL (military AND civilian) who have died in conflict. It's not some nationalistic 'ritual' or war glorifying exercise as many of you seem to think. It's a simple act of remembrance, for the fallen.
    On the other hand, some people seem to think the moment of silence has got more to do with indoctrinating children and keeping army morale up.

(Original post by L i b)
    ...to demonstrate to British servicemen and women that their going to war is not forgotten, and to remind emerging generations of the sacrifices they made.
    Those who do choose not to take part for these reasons are disgraceful. Agree?

ReputationRep:
    I think the people had good intentions but it just didn't apply to your dad. After all, for him every day is Rememberance Day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt1991)
    First off, thanks for the rep

And I totally agree! We had a beautiful silence at school yesterday. The head got all 2200 kids onto the playgrounds, had the last post played as the Legion and old soldiers saluted, and we all shut up for just two minutes.
    Yeah my school played the last post from the playing field and it could be heard throughout the school, everyone i spoke too said their teacher stopped talking and simply stood in silence for two minutes, and everyone i have spoken too joined in.

I think people with the same attitude towards Rememberance day as the OP should be so ashamed, and im sure if we ever went to war they would be the first to ask where are army is to protect them!

ReputationRep:

Put it this way, if you have a chav who is abusive to everyone in everyday life but was silent those 2 minutes are they a more respectful person?
    Compared to how you and your family acted....Quite Simply YES!

ReputationRep:
    I was asleep during the silence. Technically that was me being silent and thats all the "respect" the veterans are getting from me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1989)
    I can't actually believe that there is a thread on this?!

Let me start by saying SHAME on your and your family for your blatent dis-respect. Even though your dad is an ex-serviceman and has lost family and friends does not exclude you from this as these people we are meant to be remembering made Britain what it is today.

Is two minutes really that much to ask for the sacrifice those fighting made?!

And even if you don't agree with the 2 minutes silent, you could have had alot more respect for those around you who were remembering those who died in the war. Or shall everyone in England just not respect each other and do as we all want?!

Also last year i was in Sainsbury's during the 2 minute silence and for a good half an hour before it there was announcements saying the store would be holding the minute silence and then another announcement at the start of the minute silence, I find it hard ot believe you was the only people in the store to not hear....

This has actually made my blood boil! Shame, Shame Shame!
    Can't believe i actually got negative repped by someone for standing up for something which is tradition in our country! Whoever did that leave your name next time and we can chat!

OP I dont think your family are disgusting, People try out these adjectives to make themselves look noticeable and that people agree with them, though in many cases that isnt the case.

I think in mentioning to you that you should have been quiet the people who told you to do so were doing the right thing, Obviously your father has experienced the loss of war personally, but people wont see it that way, and the "didnt know 2 minutes made a difference" probably angered them since it sounded disrespectful.

I also would have asked you to be quiet for 2 mins at 11, but probably wouldnt have gone on at you and your family once I knew the circumstances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephirot10)
    I was asleep during the silence. Technically that was me being silent and thats all the "respect" the veterans are getting from me.
    Is that anything to do with the Iraqi flag on your post? To me, rememberance day isn't just about remembering British men and women who died, but those of all nationalities. As I've already mentioned, my Polish Great Grandfather was shot by Nazi's, and my Grandad (his son) fought in the Warsaw uprising. Its nice to take some time out to remember those living or dead of all nationalities who've given there all for freedom.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.