Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Utter ********, there is absolutely no way your dad has been in the army and wouldn't observe the 2 minutes silence. Lying on the internet is one thing, lying about this is a ******* disgrace. I hope you end up rotting in some jail in a facist dictatorship. Scum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    How do you get that? we were talking long before the silence and what makes that 2 minute silence more valid than others, I mean thereby you are saying an ex army person who has lost family in wars has no repect over someone who may have had no loss of family in wars(barring World Wars) just being quiet for 2 minutes makes them more respectful even if they arent bothered in everyday life.
    How can you assume they aren't bothered in everyday life? It's 2 minutes... although I get that it is easy to lose track of time and not realise, I do think it was a little disrespectful to argue it out with the people after them asking you to be quiet.

orionmoo: I don't think it is so much about 'remembering' as it is about reflection and appreciation... not only for the people who have lost their lives in war, but also for their families who have to cope with the grief of their loves ones, who gave up their lives for their country (for us), not being with them anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    Personally I think the guy was in the right, I don't really care whether your dad was in the army, that changes nothing, the silence is to remember all of those who lost their lives protecting their country, not just your immediate relatives, thats an INCREDIBLY selfish way of thinking about it. In addition just be silent for 2 minutes to allow other people to do it if they want too, its only two minutes what does it make any difference to you? Carrying on talking is just being deliberately obtuse for no reason.

I again don't really understand this view. I mean for one thing I don't really understand people who 'disagree with war' but to then carry on and say that because of this you don't care about people who died to protect you is surely a very silly thing to think.
    :ditto:

If your dad was ex army surely he'd have been "watching" out for the silence? I'm sure he knew people he served alongside that died and could have shown a bit of respect for them.... But to argue back when someone told you shut up, that's just ignorant.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Snobpence17)
    It's the fact that these interfering idiots instantly labelled the OP and his/her family as 'disrespectful, cold, heartless etc.' You would only take such an elitist route if you wanted to target people doing this in the first place. They probably got great satisfaction by correcting a family on something they're utterly clueless about themselves.

The busybodys could have just said "It's the silence now". And to think they probably went home and told their friends/family of the 'disgusting anti-war activists' in tesco café.
    I believe if you read his post again they were quite polite at first :p:. It was only after this guy's dad said "why should I be silent?" that they were accused of having no respect, quite rightly to be honest.

(Original post by numb3rb0y)
    No, the least I can do is not do anything for them. I didn't choose to be British and I reject nationalism, so why on Earth should I care that some people fought and died for "my" country? I'm sorry for them, to a point; certainly anyone who was conscripted has my sympathies, but even considering that, spending two minutes not talking doesn't actually do anything, does it? I can think about how awful it was that "my" country forced some people to fight for it or sent them to prison when I'm talking without too much trouble. This notion that I and others like me are bad people because we recognise the ritualistic silliness of moments of silence is stupid, plain and simple. You know, if you really cared about veterans you could put your money where your mouth is and donate money to any of the many organisations dedicated to supporting them, but I have a feeling that the vast majority of pro-silence people would much rather just be quiet for a few minutes than actually do something real that would actually adversely effect them personally.
    I don't understand this anti-nationalism some people seem to have. Fine, refuse to be proud of anything anyone has ever done unless you personally knew them, but the fact remains that these people DID fight and die for you whether you experienced that or not and refusing to acknowledge this IS being incredibly arrogant and insensitive. If there was an equivalent of a new world war now would you sign up to protect the country? According to you you'd hide away going "oh no, I didn't choose to be in this country I won't fight" and be relying on others to protect you. Theres a difference between remembering those who have fought and died for you and aiding veterans too, although I would think you might remember that buying a poppy supports the major veteran's and victims of war charity and I always give quite a large amount of money to them so that argument is rather useless towards me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikimoto)
    They were disrespectful.

Re-read the post. The 'busybodys' did first tell them to be quiet. Then the OP's father angled for a fight.

And now who's doing the labelling?
    According to the OP's post, their father asked why? and was instantly labelled as a disrespectful induvidual who doesn't care about what these heros did. They could have taken so many different routes, e.g. "Others are trying to take part in this, "Could you at least talk quietly" yet the busybody idiotic nature of some British people overided what would have been a polite way of saying "shut up".

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why being quiet for two minutes to remember men and women who gave their lives for this country is such a strain. I think the act of having 2mins silence for other events can perhaps cheapen it in some peoples eyes.But in this case your Dad should have wound his neck in. And yes him, you and your entire brood were extremely disrespectful. I probably wouldn't have said anything because To be honest not observing the silence just shows what selfish and low class people you are. Better than a badge and any words from me were pointless. As you showed yourselves up as mouthbreathing underpants.

ReputationRep:
    If you think the silence is 'silly,' why can't you just shut up for two measly minutes and be respectful to the people around you who do want to observe the silence and take a special moment to remember the dead? You're on your moral high horse, yet you can't even show a bit of human decency and allow people the opportunity to observe something which is very important to them. Does it really hurt you not to talk for two minutes? No. So stop being so pathetic and selfish, you're not making a stand, you're just being an ignorant, spiteful little thing.

That goes for every person who's too pig-headed to respect the fact that the vast majority of people want to observe the silence; people who want to ruin it for everyone and haven't got the manners to just be quiet.

ReputationRep:
    So your family just forgot? I think it's easy for people to say you should have just shut up when the people pointed out it was the silence, cos if they did it so rudely I think wold make anyone pissed! People like that just do my head in. .... seems like there is a few here, people are being pretty judgemental - we all have different values and beliefs and ways of showing them; telling people they should be ashmed etc its just obnoxious.

ReputationRep:
    its like the tesco saying: every little helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdragonthegreat)
    there is nothing wrong with talking in a 2 minute silence, the people who died in the war are being punished in the grave anyway, having 2 minutes silence wont relieve that punishment.
    Then you're an utter waste of space.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I was talking to a German girl about morris dancing at the time. I don't observe the two minute silence, can't be arsed - it's stupid . . . like morris dancing.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't agree with the silence, then just sit there and think about something else. Don't start arguing about what the point of the silence is during the silence, as that prevents other people from remembering something which is important to them and will understandably get you abuse.

Obviously people don't know about your family, and I have a pretty cynical attitude to the whole thing myself, but I don't think it does anyone any harm to put their own interests on hold for a couple of minutes and focus on a huge sacrifice made by others.

ReputationRep:
    the silence isnt a support for war, its a remembrance for people who were killed or injured during war

if there was a memorial for people who died during the Holocaust, should I choose not to respect it because I didn't agree with the Holocaust?

ReputationRep:
    According to the OP's post, their father asked why? and was instantly labelled as a disrespectful induvidual who doesn't care about what these heros did. They could have taken so many different routes, e.g. "Others are trying to take part in this, "Could you at least talk quietly" yet the busybody idiotic nature of some British people overided what would have been a polite way of saying "shut up".
    Everybody knows why we have the silence. The OP's father was obviously being facetious, argumentative and rude.

ReputationRep:
    Its nothing tbh. Any **** can adhere to symbolic gestures but in practise they rarely do anything of significance.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be annoyed if someone was speaking over the 2 minutes silence, only because it would be intruding upon my thoughts.

It can't really be that hard to just be respectful (if you don't want to spend 2 minutes thinking about soldiers, then at least be respectful to your surroundings).

ReputationRep:
    I think it's utterly pathetic to talk through the two minute's silence. it's hardly a great intrusion on your life. sounds very adolescent.

I don't understand this anti-nationalism some people seem to have. Fine, refuse to be proud of anything anyone has ever done unless you personally knew them,
    I think a distinction really has to be made here. I am not intentionally being contrarian and "refusing" to be proud of anyone. I am simply not proud of anyone. Claiming otherwise is like saying I'm actively refusing to believe in a god just because I'm an atheist.

but the fact remains that these people DID fight and die for you whether you experienced that or not and refusing to acknowledge this IS being incredibly arrogant and insensitive.
    How exactly did they fight and die for me personally when I wasn't even alive? How exactly are people in Iraq and Afghanistan fighting for me personally now? If anything, the wars over there are making terrorist attacks more likely.

If there was an equivalent of a new world war now would you sign up to protect the country?
    No. I have no ideological ties to this country. I disagree with many of the values of this country. I strongly disagree with popular opinion and policy in this country. Why would I endanger myself for it.

According to you you'd hide away going "oh no, I didn't choose to be in this country I won't fight" and be relying on others to protect you.
    I would quite happily protect myself, actually, assuming the country didn't stop me, which it probably would given its rather disturbing policy on self-defence.

Theres a difference between remembering those who have fought and died for you and aiding veterans too, although I would think you might remember that buying a poppy supports the major veteran's and victims of war charity and I always give quite a large amount of money to them so that argument is rather useless towards me.
    I was not, for the record, talking about you or anyone else here specifically. It was and remains nonetheless my suspicion that a great many of the people who talk about nationalism and supporting the troops and respecting them, even the ones on high horses, have never actually given a pound of their income or an hour of their own time to organisations which actually do real, concrete things to support veterans. It, unfortunately, tends to be the case that those that talk the talk most often walk the walk least.

Edit - And I do, for the record, tend to remain silent during such things, even though I see them as silly, because there's no point upsetting people when they haven't actually done anything malicious to you or anyone else. I do however get annoyed at the people who act like they have the moral high ground on the issue and condemn anyone who dares even consider talking.

ReputationRep:
    According to the OP's post, their father asked why? and was instantly labelled as a disrespectful induvidual who doesn't care about what these heros did.
    The father knew why, or should have known why. It's tradition to fall silent. If you don't want to fine, but respect those who do by not disrupting it. He was disrespectful.

They could have taken so many different routes, e.g. "Others are trying to take part in this, "Could you at least talk quietly" yet the busybody idiotic nature of some British people overided what would have been a polite way of saying "shut up".
    This:

(Original post by MittenKrust)
    Some guy came up to us and told us to be quiet as it was a silence.
    is a pretty polite way of saying 'shut up'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdragonthegreat)
    there is nothing wrong with talking in a 2 minute silence, the people who died in the war are being punished in the grave anyway, having 2 minutes silence wont relieve that punishment.
    Wtf are they being punished for?! Not every soldier that has fought and died in wars chose to be there....in fact a lot of them were just pulled up for national service as soon as they were old enough. You should be proud of the people that died so that you could live the life you have now. To think that there are soldiers, even on this website (and me next year) are fighting to give you the right to hold your pig ignorant view.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.