Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I agree with the people saying it's disrespectful, but I understand the opinion.
    I too don't agree with the silence, but I take part in it if I'm ever out in public at the time, since I think that's the respectful thing to do for other people; much in the same way that I'm quiet in a cinema to allow others to watch the film in peace.
    Ignoring the crucial difference that attending the cinema (except in North Korea) is by and large a voluntary exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    Man, you really know nothing about Nazi Germany do you? Also I think every single ONE of your points is highly tenuous and very debatable as to its extent or even if its a bad thing.
    With respect, only a blithering cretin could dispute the erosion of habeas corpus as being anything other than a 'bad thing'.

ReputationRep:
    We had a similar situation at Cambridge rail station on Tuesday morning. There were regular announcements coming over the tannoy telling people that there would be a 2 minute silence at 11am. The station kiosks and shops, all the staff and passengers were notified, even the incoming trains were told, so that staff and passengers on board could take part.

11am came. 2 minutes silence started. Everything on the station stopped. It was so quiet you could hear a cockroach burp 200 metres away.

And right in the middle, one minute in, the announcer on the train I was on came over the PA in his best Birmingham accent, while everything else was still dead silent, and politely informed us that the train was the 11:04 to Birmingham New Street, and where it was calling.

The guy sitting next to me stood up after the 2 minute silence, and told the guard on the train that if the announcer didn't get on the mic and apologise, he would stick his hand where the sunlight didn't shine and pull the announcer's windpipe out through there.

Sure enough, we got an apology over the microphone, but not before this guy got thrown off the train for abusing a member of staff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    Excuse me I think that believing that not doing it is brattish obnoxious and childish and disrespectful.

If you read instead of judging you would of seen that had we known we would of been quiet.
    And yet when challenged you elected to retort out of sheer, unadulterated hubris rather than graciously conceding your misdemeanour and shutting the **** up for two minutes?

If the moral high-ground were Omaha Beach, you'd be an MG42 emplacement protruding through a concrete aperture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    The fact of the matter is, if men threw themselves into conflict, got shot, lost their limbs, had their faces blown off, lost their friends and family, were held prisoner and executed all for their country, the least you could do is not talk for two minutes. :rolleyes:
    This doesn't sound at all silly to you? I mean, I respect people who fight in the army a lot - but can you honestly say that, if it wasn't already a tradition, anyone would suggest having 2 minutes of silence to remember the dead? You say it as if it's the logical conclusion to people being in a war.

I respect soldiers a lot - but that doesn't mean I have to prove that I respect them and think about thei sacrifices to other people by being silent for 2 minutes a year. That's not to say I don't, but I certainly shouldn't feel obligated to, and I certainly don't think that, just because someone doesn't do that ,that they don't respect the troops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Ignoring the crucial difference that attending the cinema (except in North Korea) is by and large a voluntary exercise.
    The silence is also voluntary.

ReputationRep:
    I think the people who are using being "anti-war" as a reason to oppose Remembrance are confused. Very, very confused.

(Original post by tinkerbellejess)
    Wtf are they being punished for?! Not every soldier that has fought and died in wars chose to be there....in fact a lot of them were just pulled up for national service as soon as they were old enough. You should be proud of the people that died so that you could live the life you have now. To think that there are soldiers, even on this website (and me next year) are fighting to give you the right to hold your pig ignorant view.
    Ahh yes, were it not for those brave souls in the desert stopping the Iraqi war machine invading and taking away our rights...

ReputationRep:
    You could have been quiet for the sake of others around you.

I was in a shop on rememberance day so I observed the two minutes silence, but when I am on my own or at home I don't. I don't think we need to be told to remember the dead, everyone does it in their own way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    The silence is also voluntary.
    Being able to attend the cinema is a privilege, and a luxury; being able to traverse public thoroughfares unmolested is a right, and a necessity. While I object to MittenKrust's insolence I nevertheless appreciate how he might feel that an enforced nationwide silence - as distinct from in screen 4 of CineWorld - on pain of vehement reprisal amounts to an erosion of his civil liberties (viz. freedom of speech).

ReputationRep:
    Some of the views expressed on this thread have both restored my faith in the general public, and convinced me there are still complete wastes of skin and oxygen out there.

I've voiced my opinions pretty clearly on the Poppy thread, so I won't rehash them, but I will say to the OP - Your old man is ex-Army? Yeah right. Regiment/Corps, dates of service, rank? I smell male cow faeces.

Oh, and guys - the silence is not remembering WAR. It's about commemorating ALL (military AND civilian) who have died in conflict. It's not some nationalistic 'ritual' or war glorifying exercise as many of you seem to think. It's a simple act of remembrance, for the fallen.

(Original post by thundergod)
    We had a similar situation at Cambridge rail station on Tuesday morning. There were regular announcements coming over the tannoy telling people that there would be a 2 minute silence at 11am. The station kiosks and shops, all the staff and passengers were notified, even the incoming trains were told, so that staff and passengers on board could take part.

11am came. 2 minutes silence started. Everything on the station stopped. It was so quiet you could hear a cockroach burp 200 metres away.

And right in the middle, one minute in, the announcer on the train I was on came over the PA in his best Birmingham accent, while everything else was still dead silent, and politely informed us that the train was the 11:04 to Birmingham New Street, and where it was calling.

The guy sitting next to me stood up after the 2 minute silence, and told the guard on the train that if the announcer didn't get on the mic and apologise, he would stick his hand where the sunlight didn't shine and pull the announcer's windpipe out through there.

Sure enough, we got an apology over the microphone, but not before this guy got thrown off the train for abusing a member of staff.
    ****ing good drills that man. I would have done the same!

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt say you're family are heartless. But even if you don't agree with the silence you're bringing it on yourselves if you choose to make a point of not being quiet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    I keep hearing this. My response is simply that the non-Nazi state I do live in isn't necessarily better than a Nazi one, but just as bad in different ways.
    are you serious?

I suggest you visit Germany and go visit some of the concentration camps and then come back and say the same thing.

(Original post by random_bloke)
    are you serious?

I suggest you visit Germany and go visit some of the concentration camps and then come back and say the same thing.
    Once again; tell the thousands of people in prisons for committing consensual crimes that they should be thankful they're not in concentration camps instead, I'm sure that'll make them feel a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    Lets deconstruct your answer.

Im still scratching my head to see things, how is talking about how my day went with family and essay due in highly strung.
    Because you are too up your own arse to realise that you are disrupting other people. Even if you bizzarely don't agree with the silence then at least don't force your views on other people with the presumption that they would be delighted to be enlightened about your viewpoint on rememberance day.

Isnt the guy coming over starting an argument more disruptive and loud than a family sitting in a corner near no one else bothering.
    1) Not an argument. Just asking some people to kindly shut the **** up and pay some respect.

2) No one else bothering? You already said you got evil looks and people coming up to you - how can you justify the 'not bothering' bit?

You would have to come up to us to hear our conversation.
    A blatant lie, on the basis that you said people came up to you to tell you to be quiet - that means they would have heard you from a way away.

One of the things we mean when we say about the two minute silence why does two minutes any other time of the year mean nothing?
    Did anyone say 2 minutes silence at any other time of the year meant nothing? No - but the national 2 minutes silence was being observed and even if you were morally opposed in every way to the silence then surely you could have told your family about your oh so important day else where in private?

what difference does it make?
    Its a mark of respect - its not meant to bring the dead back, but its there so all of us have a chance to reflect on how people have died for us.

isnt it better to think about the dead for longer any other 2 minutes of the year if it amounts to hours over the year?
    If you think about the dead for a longer period then if you feel that that benefits yourself, then of course its good. But the main point here was that you disrupted other peoples two minutes, because what happened that day was apparentl ohmygosh so important you just had to tell mummy and daddy right now. If you posted a thread saying "I talked through the 2 minutes silence in my bedroom, but plan to make up for it later" I would not be in the least bit bothered. Its the fact that other people were trying to show respect.

The thing I believe is people see the 2 minutes as justification for their sort of sins and so they can say they did, whats the point of doing it to make yourself feel better if the rest of the year its not on your mind?
    Justification of sins. Right. Or maybe its showing respect for people who died for us and our country. Get a grip you utter utter tool, stop trying to come up with some pop psychological motive for rememverance day and accept that millions of people died overseas for there country, and it is nice to just take 2 minutes out collectively as a nation to remember them. If you disagree that much, bugger off to your house next rememberance day so people don't have to ask you to show some ******* decency.

ReputationRep:
    Once again; tell the thousands of people in prisons for committing consensual crimes that they should be thankful they're not in concentration camps instead, I'm sure that'll make them feel a lot better.
    Do you know what happened in concentration camps? They make Guantanemo Bay look like a 5* Hotel...

ReputationRep:
    i havent done that silence thing on rememberance day for years now.

(Original post by AWZC)
    Do you know what happened in concentration camps? They make Guantanemo Bay look like a 5* Hotel...
    I don't see how you can quantify and compare human suffering when it reaches that level, in all honesty. I'm not denying that what happened in concentration camps was disgusting, but to say that, for example, America is better because it does everything but gas people who've been denied access to due process to death strikes me as a little disturbing.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how you can quantify and compare human suffering when it reaches that level, in all honesty. I'm not denying that what happened in concentration camps was disgusting, but to say that, for example, America is better because it does everything but gas people who've been denied access to due process to death strikes me as a little disturbing.
    Everything but gas? Riiiiight......

Seriously, please read about concentration camps. Yes occasionly the USA use torture, but no where near the extent of concentration camps, where people were literally all sent there to die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennybean)
    I'm really glad to hear from you as well. I too find the bravery and dignity of those veterans immensely and deeply moving. I hope that a few people read this thread and are educated a little.
    Me too, I am absolutely shocked by this thread. It really saddens me that there are young people who think like this, and yet they don't even seem to be a minority on here.

(Original post by AWZC)
    Everything but gas? Riiiiight......

Seriously, please read about concentration camps. Yes occasionly the USA use torture, but no where near the extent of concentration camps, where people were literally all sent there to die.
    'occasionly'?

Seriously, please read about Guantánamo Bay. Innocent people were sent there to spend the rest of their lives in a legal black hole, enjoying regular torture, isolation, ERFing, lack of access to counsel, and no hope of escape even if their innocence was proved in a military kangaroo court, all to fulfil a political agenda.

I don't usually like throwing these words around, but if you're going to trivialise the experience of Gitmo detainees then you're a sickening individual worthy of the harshest contempt.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.