The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
thundergod
And right in the middle, one minute in, the announcer on the train I was on came over the PA in his best Birmingham accent, while everything else was still dead silent, and politely informed us that the train was the 11:04 to Birmingham New Street, and where it was calling.

The guy sitting next to me stood up after the 2 minute silence, and told the guard on the train that if the announcer didn't get on the mic and apologise, he would stick his hand where the sunlight didn't shine and pull the announcer's windpipe out through there.

Sure enough, we got an apology over the microphone, but not before this guy got thrown off the train for abusing a member of staff.

I don't get how a supposed remembrance of peace can make people so angry and aggressive, and i think its sad its got that way. People should remember sure, but abusing others for using their free will is being dictated over. People can remember in other ways, or spend other times of the year contemplating war victims, I don't see how not spending a specific two minutes makes you a bad person.

For instance a person could have relatives who died in the war, visit their grave multiple times of the year, who are we to say they are "immoral" or "shameless" for not spending an extra two minutes in contemplation, they've lost the same if not more than us.
Reply 161
RJ555
I don't get how a supposed remembrance of peace can make people so angry and aggressive, and i think its sad its got that way. People should remember sure, but abusing others for using their free will is being dictated over. People can remember in other ways, or spend other times of the year contemplating war victims, I don't see how not spending a specific two minutes makes you a bad person.

For instance a person could have relatives who died in the war, visit their grave multiple times of the year, who are we to say they are "immoral" or "shameless" for not spending an extra two minutes in contemplation, they've lost the same if not more than us.

You don't get it. Its not the fact that he ignored the 2 minutes silence, its the fact that he ruined it for everyone else (this applies to both examples)
AWZC
You don't get it. Its not the fact that he ignored the 2 minutes silence, its the fact that he ruined it for everyone else (this applies to both examples)

If you want a guarantee of silence, go somewhere private. Expecting everyone to be quiet in a public place on command is exactly the sort of oppression that romanticised versions of the people being remembered were supposedly fighting against.
Reply 163
numb3rb0y
If you want a guarantee of silence, go somewhere private. Expecting everyone to be quiet in a public place on command is exactly the sort of oppression that romanticised versions of the people being remembered were supposedly fighting against.

:lolwut: Its respect for the dead, idiot. Expecting people to give up 2 minutes a year, a mere 1/262800th of there time on earth is not autocracy, its basic human civility and decency. And I can be positive that if you asked a war veteran what they thought of the silence, you would find they all disagree with odious wannabe liberal ideas such as yours.

Oh, p.s. its nice to see your silence on the whole American prisons and Concentration camps issue - I guess you've realised you're oh so wrong.
FiveFiveSix

Oh, and guys - the silence is not remembering WAR. It's about commemorating ALL (military AND civilian) who have died in conflict. It's not some nationalistic 'ritual' or war glorifying exercise as many of you seem to think. It's a simple act of remembrance, for the fallen.

Precisely... the people who are completely anti-war have, if anything, even better reason to participate in Remembrance.
AWZC
:lolwut: Its respect for the dead, idiot. Expecting people to give up 2 minutes a year, a mere 1/262800th of there time on earth is not autocracy, its basic human civility and decency.

It wouldn't matter if it was a second or a year. Forcing your viewpoint onto others is authoritarian. The exact level of distress caused by doing so is irrelevant.

AWZC
And I can be positive that if you asked a war veteran what they thought of the silence, you would find they all disagree with odious wannabe liberal ideas such as yours.

Well of course real veterans wouldn't, because they weren't actually fighting for freedom or liberalism at all, but the right to chemically castrate war heroes for the crime of enjoying relations with people of the same sex :yep:

AWZC
Oh, p.s. its nice to see your silence on the whole American prisons and Concentration camps issue - I guess you've realised you're oh so wrong.

Not really, I just realised that you're one of those people who actually quantify human life in terms of worth, and nothing I say would ever change your viewpoint on that, no matter how wrong it is, so it's not really worth my trouble trying.
You dine in the Tesco Cafe? Dude, I know there's a credit crunch etc, but still.
Reply 167
numb3rb0y
It wouldn't matter if it was a second or a year. Forcing your viewpoint onto others is authoritarian. The exact level of distress caused by doing so is irrelevant.

Well of course real veterans wouldn't, because they weren't actually fighting for freedom or liberalism at all, but the right to chemically castrate war heroes for the crime of enjoying relations with people of the same sex :yep:

Not really, I just realised that you're one of those people who actually quantify human life in terms of worth, and nothing I say would ever change your viewpoint on that, no matter how wrong it is, so it's not really worth my trouble trying.

So is forcing the viewpoint that murdering a baby is wrong and imprisoning the person guilty of this authoritarian? Afterall, thats "Forcing your viewpoint onto others"

I have no idea what your on about in the second paragraph, I suspect its a lame way of avoiding the fact that war veterans cherish rememberance day as a time of reflection.

Since when did I say I quantified human life in terms of orth. You are trying to say Auschwitz and Gitmo are as worse as each other. Yet as I said, 141 people dying versus between 1 and 3 million gives it up a bit. Plus theres the fact that the conditions in Guantanamo are at least survivable in, compared to a concentration camp where many died whilst being transported ther, let alone once inside. You accuse me of trivialising Gitmo? Then I accuse you of trivialising the deaths of 6 million men, women and children.

And before you say that Gitmo is worse on an ideological basis due to the perversion of the ideals of the USA and the Western world, I will remind you that you don't believe in ideals. Afterall, you dismiss the ones that form the basis of Rememberance Day.
AWZC
So is forcing the viewpoint that murdering a baby is wrong and imprisoning the person guilty of this authoritarian? Afterall, thats "Forcing your viewpoint onto others"

I have no idea what your on about in the second paragraph, I suspect its a lame way of avoiding the fact that war veterans cherish rememberance day as a time of reflection.

Since when did I say I quantified human life in terms of orth. You are trying to say Auschwitz and Gitmo are as worse as each other. Yet as I said, 141 people dying versus between 1 and 3 million gives it up a bit. Plus theres the fact that the conditions in Guantanamo are at least survivable in, compared to a concentration camp where many died whilst being transported ther, let alone once inside. You accuse me of trivialising Gitmo? Then I accuse you of trivialising the deaths of 6 million men, women and children.

And before you say that Gitmo is worse on an ideological basis due to the perversion of the ideals of the USA and the Western world, I will remind you that you don't believe in ideals. Afterall, you dismiss the ones that form the basis of Rememberance Day.

Y'know, I was just going to tell that him to go piss up a rope, but I like your answer better. There really is no helping some people, is there?
AWZC

Straw man. Talking doesn't hurt anyone, at worst the uptight ones get a annoyed.

AWZC

I'm talking about the fact that the country they were defending wasn't so rosy and Alan Turing is a perfect example of why.

AWZC

Saying 141 deaths of potentially innocent people is worse than 6 million is quantifying human life. You can argue whether it's appropriate to, I suppose, but I don't see how you're able to claim that it isn't.

AWZC

I've never said Gitmo was worse. I'm saying we're not really any better than Nazi Germany, just bad in different ways.
numb3rb0y

Saying 141 deaths of potentially innocent people is worse than 6 million is quantifying human life. You can argue whether it's appropriate to, I suppose, but I don't see how you're able to claim that it isn't.

of course killing 1,000,000 people is worse than one as more people are devastated by it (families etc)

I've never said Gitmo was worse. I'm saying we're not really any better than Nazi Germany, just bad in different ways.

lol whut?
Reply 171
numb3rb0y
Straw man. Talking doesn't hurt anyone, at worst the uptight ones get a annoyed.

I'm talking about the fact that the country they were defending wasn't so rosy and Alan Turing is a perfect example of why.

You know what? You're obviously so deluded if you think the western world is anyway near as bad as Nazi germany that I'm just going to leave you to your fantasy. I'll let you know that it was the Nazi's that dragged my Great Grandad out into the street and shot him in front of his family - because he was a train controller. Next time you hear that happening in the USA, please, PM me.
Yuffie
of course killing 1,000,000 people is worse than one as more people are devastated by it (families etc)

I'm not a utilitarian, I'm an individualist. As far as I'm concerned, one act of murder is just as bad as a million.

Yuffie
lol whut?

Already gave plenty of reasons why. Nazi Germany wasn't hell for everyone either, for that matter.
numb3rb0y
I'm not a utilitarian, I'm an individualist. As far as I'm concerned, one act of murder is just as bad as a million.

Already gave plenty of reasons why. Nazi Germany wasn't hell for everyone either, for that matter.

But the American government isn't dragging millions of people out of their houses and killing them either.

One act of murder as bad as a million?
Where do you get your ideas from? The pound shop?
Reply 174
numb3rb0y

Please justify this. You are starting to amuse me now, its like a crazy mixture of pity, disbelief and contempt, but at the sam time you're so overwhelmingly stupid one cannot help but laugh...
well it is a little odd when for 2 mintues, everyone stands still and look down and your dad is the only one talking. if i was there i wouldn't go up to him and abuse him, i just think to myself, god shut up, how disrepectful.

you cant really blaime people for abusing u to be honest as its social norm,
like cpj1987 said.

cpj1987
I'm quiet in a cinema to allow others to watch the film in peace.
MittenKrust
Was with parents yesterday in Tesco cafe and during a conversation we lost track of time. Some guy came up to us and told us to be quiet as it was a silence.

My dad said why and was accused of having no respect for war dead he was cold cruel, uncaring etc, then a woman came over and called my family disgusting and cold and heartless.

My dad was trying to just say that he didnt think that two minutes made a difference, and hes ex army and lost his brother due to war, his dad, his great uncle etc, and asked these two if they had ever been in the army and they said no but somehow they were better people for being quiet for 2 minutes as they had more respect!

My dad respects the memory of the dead but doesnt think it makes much difference being quiet for 2 minutes but remembering them in different ways.

But he and my family are seen as disgusting because of that!

Is this right?

no, ignore them seriously. But next time shhh..
AWZC
Please justify this. You are starting to amuse me now, its like a crazy mixture of pity, disbelief and contempt, but at the sam time you're so overwhelmingly stupid one cannot help but laugh...

Look at it like this; murder is pretty much the greatest moral evil one can commit. Now, with that in mind, given how awful it really is, there's a sort of threshold, or ceiling of sorts. In simple terms, once you've one done instance of the worst thing you could possibly do, you've sunk as low as it's possible to sink and more murders won't force you any deeper.

I would've regarded Hitler as the lowest point of humanity once he demonstrated his contempt for it by orchestrating the killing of his first victim. All the later ones are ancillary as he was already as evil as it would be possible to be.
Has this video been posted? I think it very appropriate to the OP, it's almost as if it was written about the OP.

I'm heartened by the posts people have made on this thread, after the poppy thread I'm glad there are still people out there who show respect.
numb3rb0y
Look at it like this; murder is pretty much the greatest moral evil one can commit. Now, with that in mind, given how awful it really is, there's a sort of threshold, or ceiling of sorts. In simple terms, once you've one done instance of the worst thing you could possibly do, you've sunk as low as it's possible to sink and more murders won't force you any deeper.

Ok so from the point of the killer it's not worse but what about for the families of the victims. Is it better to have millions of people devastated or a couple?

Latest

Trending

Trending