The Student Room Group

Degree

Is doing an economics degree at a lower ranked uni which isnt russell group close lots of job opportunities? Also would applying for a masters at a higher ranking uni such as lse be harder
(edited 1 year ago)
In short I would think yes. Depends on the job / company in question though.

Do you know where you're trying to get hired? If so, does it have a reputation for only hiring from {a Russell group uni}?

If so, then you've answered your own question. In general, you want the best quality university available to you both in terms of reputation AND teaching and learning - a crappy degree from a notoriously crap school would hinder you with some job offers for sure, but not all.

Chances are, regardless of your undergrad school, LSE would accept you at Masters level as long as you get a good classification (not lower than 2:1).

I haven't worked at LSE, maybe someone else has and can weigh in on this. Good luck.
Original post by Mana_39
Is doing an economics degree at a lower ranked uni which isnt russell group close lots of job opportunities? Also would applying for a masters at a higher ranking uni such as lse be harder

As the other poster said, the extent to which a lower econ degree(or non-RG econ degree) will close opportunities depends on what opportunities you're talking about. I'm going to assume you're referring to opportunities like internships/grad jobs in the economics and finance industry, but correct me if this is wrong. Generally, the main thing that closes some opportunities in finance for people from lower unis is not the lower uni itself, more the fact that people at these unis tend to have lower a-level grades and most banks and consultancies have minimum a-level requirements (AAB/ABB). But if you have these grades and can do well in the application tests and interviews, I don't think a lower uni will hold you back significantly.

It also depends how you're defining a lower ranked uni (non-RG uni). There are some econ courses at non-RG unis (e.g. St Andrews, Bath, etc) that are much better than the econ courses at some RG unis (e.g. Cardiff, Glasgow, Liverpool, Sheffield, QUB, etc). I would be thinking about factors like which firms (in the sorts of industries you're interested in) actually hire from, rather than the nebulous idea of the Russell Group. The RG is about academic research output, not about how good the unis are for getting jobs from (there is a fair bit of crossover, but rating unis based on being in the RG is pointless).

Regarding applying for a MSc Economics at a top uni after a BSc Economics at a lower ranked uni, there's a few different factors at play. Firstly, yes your application might be less competitive coming from a lower ranked uni, this is only natural. However, UK MSc Economics applications are way way way less competitive than undergrad applications, if you get a good 2.1 or a First, and have the necessary funding, you can generally get into some really decent MSc Economics courses like at UCL, Warwick, Notts, etc. MSc Economics courses at places like Oxbridge and LSE aren't that easy to get into even with the funding, but still far easier than for undergrad.

The main issue with going to a much better MSc Economics course than where your BSc Economics was from, is that there's a big jump in content. Getting into the good MSc is the easy part, doing well in the good MSc is the far more difficult part. Think about it, MSc courses tend to be a natural progression and step up from that uni's BSc course. So if the MSc is harder than that uni's BSc, and that unis BSc is much harder than your BSc, then it should be clear that the top MSc's may require content that wasn't covered in your undergrad. This is the real issue, you need to find a MSc that will stretch you and improve your career prospects, but there's little point picking a MSc which is a giant step up, maybe you can manage it, or maybe you'll be either unhappy on it or fail it, or both. Either way, a MSc from a good uni is expensive (£25k or more, plus accommodation and living costs), you need to make sure it's the right one for you where it'll be a big step up, but not Everest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending