The Student Room Group

A level choices

Is it better to do alevel psychology or sociology?
It’s really up to you and what you want to do. With psychology there are the maths elements, are you good at maths? Figure out your weaknesses and strengths. (Although with maths it’s mostly statistics or simple math so do not stress yourself too much on that area)

With sociology its more humanity so are you good at stuff like History and R.E. Prepare for a lot of reading! Another factor to consider is what job you want to do- with psychology you can do a wide range of things such as being a psychologist, therapist or something of that sort but it doesn’t always to be that way, you can also get into business and marketing with psychology do not always think psychology is a one way route to medical/neuroscience! So many options.

With sociology you’re also aware of law so you can get into something with law(?) and also marketing, journalism, social work or teaching and public relations.

Do what you love.

Original post by heyidontknowwhat
Is it better to do alevel psychology or sociology?
I agree with the above (I did both)
Although they're similar with the social science element and both having research methods making up a large part of the course, psychology has a more scientific look on individuals' behaviour whereas sociology involves longer essays and focuses on the workings of society as a whole. Psychology essays are more structured and are more factual whereas you have more freedom over how you structure your essays and are based more on analysing the content.
If you'd like I could give you a summary of the content for each? (I did AQA for both but I thing most exam boards cover similar topics)
Happy to answer any other questions you have
Original post by Quinn127Gleek
It’s really up to you and what you want to do. With psychology there are the maths elements, are you good at maths? Figure out your weaknesses and strengths. (Although with maths it’s mostly statistics or simple math so do not stress yourself too much on that area)

With sociology its more humanity so are you good at stuff like History and R.E. Prepare for a lot of reading! Another factor to consider is what job you want to do- with psychology you can do a wide range of things such as being a psychologist, therapist or something of that sort but it doesn’t always to be that way, you can also get into business and marketing with psychology do not always think psychology is a one way route to medical/neuroscience! So many options.

With sociology you’re also aware of law so you can get into something with law(?) and also marketing, journalism, social work or teaching and public relations.

Do what you love.

im planning to become a detective or something in forensics so im not sure whats better
Original post by SB1234567890
I agree with the above (I did both)
Although they're similar with the social science element and both having research methods making up a large part of the course, psychology has a more scientific look on individuals' behaviour whereas sociology involves longer essays and focuses on the workings of society as a whole. Psychology essays are more structured and are more factual whereas you have more freedom over how you structure your essays and are based more on analysing the content.
If you'd like I could give you a summary of the content for each? (I did AQA for both but I thing most exam boards cover similar topics)
Happy to answer any other questions you have

could you do a summary of both please and also how did you find each of them?

Quick Reply