Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please don't lie to me because I need an honest answer. Is it possible to recover from chronic depression and if so what's the likelihood? I know people recover from normal depression but what about when it goes on for years on end? I've had severe depression for 5 years now and I honestly doubt it'll ever get better.

ReputationRep:
    honestly? well, put succinctly:
    i did.

ReputationRep:
    i am in the process of. it takes time. and pills. lots and lots of pills. and counselling too, to get to the roots of your problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sssjay)
    i am in the process of. it takes time. and pills. lots and lots of pills. and counselling too, to get to the roots of your problems.
    op, this isn't always the case.
    a lot of the time it isn't.
    it wasn't for me or anyone else on my programme.

I'm on anti-depressants, have had counselling for years, been in a psychiatric unit but nothing seems to help. I'm going to start CBT in January and I really hope it does work but it seems so unlikely at the moment.

I don't know if it gets better forever, but it definitely gets better. There are times when I'm alright for weeks on end, then maybe have a bad week. But even then, the bad weeks are nothing compared to when I used to be really depressed. I have a long history of depression and if I look back I can see that there've been lots of times where I've been fine.
    Don't give up hope. It might seem like you're never going to be ok, but its not true.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried losing weight? And if you're male just get big muscles and become very fit and life will change.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it will get better, but it is likely to come back again in the future. The good thing about CBT is that it helps you deal with a possible re-occurrence of your depression, so that it minimises the harmful effects on your life.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.