The Student Room Group

Difference between A-Level and International A-Level

So I have got my results for A-Level but I missed my grade in maths by 4 marks so I want to resit the papers. However, I live abroad so it is difficult for me to find a exam centre. However, I have found a couple of places which accepts private candidate for Edexcel international A-level. My exam board was also Pearson Edexcel for A-level so would the two be similar enough that I could sit the exam without too much difficulty?
Original post by jayhur
So I have got my results for A-Level but I missed my grade in maths by 4 marks so I want to resit the papers. However, I live abroad so it is difficult for me to find a exam centre. However, I have found a couple of places which accepts private candidate for Edexcel international A-level. My exam board was also Pearson Edexcel for A-level so would the two be similar enough that I could sit the exam without too much difficulty?

Presumably you can download the specifications for each from the Pearson Edexcel web site and compare them?

Also, I assume you aware that Pearson Edexcel offer an Access to Scripts service for free. See here for details. That might allow you to see if you can "find" an additional 4 marks (across all papers) and if so, use one of their other post-results services to access them.
Original post by jayhur

The content specifications have a lot of similarity. The exam structure for each IAL will be very different to what you are used to. The Pure Maths in Maths A level is very similar to units P1-P4 in IAL. The applied maths options for IAL have some overlap with UK A level but whichever options you chose you'd have significant additional study whether you chose the stats (S1&S2), mechanics (M1&M2) or a mixed route (S1&M1). The stats you have done covers a good chunk of S1 and a bit of S2, there is no large data set stuff. The mechanics you have done covers about half of M1 and a bit of M2. The flexible modular nature of the IAL could appeal to you, you could split the unit exams into separate exam periods helping you to focus your preparation. For example you could do all of the P1-P4 exams in January (if those exams are available there and then), get your results and know how much more you need to do with your applied units in the summer.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by gdunne42
The content specifications have a lot of similarity. The exam structure for each IAL will be very different to what you are used to. The Pure Maths in Maths A level is very similar to units P1-P4 in IAL. The applied maths options for IAL have some overlap with UK A level but whichever options you chose you'd have significant additional study whether you chose the stats (S1&S2), mechanics (M1&M2) or a mixed route (S1&M1). The stats you have done covers a good chunk of S1 and a bit of S2, there is no large data set stuff. The mechanics you have done covers about half of M1 and a bit of M2. The flexible modular nature of the IAL could appeal to you, you could split the unit exams into separate exam periods helping you to focus your preparation. For example you could do all of the P1-P4 exams in January (if those exams are available there and then), get your results and know how much more you need to do with your applied units in the summer.

I just did GCE AS maths and I want to resit the maths but this time it will be IAL. I did pure 1, stat 1, and mech 1. What IAL exam should I pick? the deadline is today and I have no idea
Original post by Zackkk1
I just did GCE AS maths and I want to resit the maths but this time it will be IAL. I did pure 1, stat 1, and mech 1. What IAL exam should I pick? the deadline is today and I have no idea

Sorry, I've been away on holiday and not checked TSR

If ylu are doing Edexcel IAL you need P1 and P2 and I'd recommend S1 for AS, then P3 and P4 with M1 for A2

Quick Reply

Latest