The Student Room Group

What degrees/Uni courses can you do with these a levels?PLEASE HELP

I’m not completely sure what a levels I wanna do yet but my results day is on thursday and enrolment is on 1st september so I have to decide quickly what a levels I wanna do.
The a levels i’m thinking about doing are- history, maths, chemistry
This is because i’m unsure if i wanna go into humanities or STEM so i wanna keep my options wide
What courses/degrees/careers can i do with these a levels because I looked at a university’s requirements and it seems like I can’t do much of Stem if I have history however I hate biology and physics so much I can’t cope doing them for a levels and I love history, but is this going to keep my options narrow?
I want a degree that is very employable, highly respected and well paid. Does anyone know what I can go into with these a levels without having to take bio or physics?
Original post by Hajora0505
I’m not completely sure what a levels I wanna do yet but my results day is on thursday and enrolment is on 1st september so I have to decide quickly what a levels I wanna do.
This is because i’m unsure if i wanna go into humanities or STEM so i wanna keep my options wide
What courses/degrees/careers can i do with these a levels because I looked at a university’s requirements and it seems like I can’t do much of Stem if I have history however I hate biology and physics so much I can’t cope doing them for a levels and I love history, but is this going to keep my options narrow?
I want a degree that is very employable, highly respected and well paid. Does anyone know what I can go into with these a levels without having to take bio or physics?

You can definitely get into some STEM courses (esp. biological science, biochemistry, chemistry etc) if you take history, maths and chemistry. Some engineering courses (including civil engineering) only require maths so you'd be fine for these courses as well.

I'd recommend you start looking at https://www.prospects.ac.uk before deciding your A-levels because you'll find the criteria for lots of careers, including the best A-levels to take, the degree needed for graduate jobs and salary). Additionally, it would be wise to contact the careers advisor in your school to get more help on this :smile:
Original post by davidthomasjnr
You can definitely get into some STEM courses (esp. biological science, biochemistry, chemistry etc) if you take history, maths and chemistry. Some engineering courses (including civil engineering) only require maths so you'd be fine for these courses as well.

I'd recommend you start looking at https://www.prospects.ac.uk before deciding your A-levels because you'll find the criteria for lots of careers, including the best A-levels to take, the degree needed for graduate jobs and salary). Additionally, it would be wise to contact the careers advisor in your school to get more help on this :smile:

Thank you so much, it definitely helped me a lot. Do you think I will be able to get into pharmacy?
2 sciences is the usual requirement for pharmacy so yes you definitely can!
Thank you so much, it definitely helped me a lot. Do you think I will be able to get into pharmacy?
Pharmacy, Pharmacology, Chemistry for Drug Discovery, Medicinal Chemistry, Chemistry-and-Maths, Chemical Engineering, History and Philosphy of Science, Liberal Arts & Sciences, etc etc. And Law (no specific A level subjects required)
Original post by McGinger
Pharmacy, Pharmacology, Chemistry for Drug Discovery, Medicinal Chemistry, Chemistry-and-Maths, Chemical Engineering, History and Philosphy of Science, Liberal Arts & Sciences, etc etc. And Law (no specific A level subjects required)

Thank you! What’s the difference between pharmacy and pharmacology tho?
Thank you! What’s the difference between pharmacy and pharmacology tho?

Pharmacy - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2023/pharmacy/
Pharmacology - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2023/pharmacology/
Chemistry for Drug Discovery - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2022/chemistry/#course-entries

Hi @Hajora0505

From the A-level subjects you have stated, they give you a good chance of getting into pharmacy!

At the University of Huddersfield the entry requirements include:
A Levels in Chemistry and at least one further science subject from Biology, Maths or Physics. Chemistry A Level is essential. If you are not studying Biology, then Maths or Physics are accepted. The endorsement for practical work is an essential part of Science A Level study, and is a requirement for entry to the degree course.

You may want to visit https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/pharmacy-mpharm for more information :smile:

I hope this helps!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 3rd year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield.

These are a good spread of A level subjects.Maths and Chemistry leave lots of stem options open.History if you love it will probably result in a good grade.What are your target unis?
Original post by Scotney
These are a good spread of A level subjects.Maths and Chemistry leave lots of stem options open.History if you love it will probably result in a good grade.What are your target unis?

Im thinking of russel group universities like UCL, Manchester etc but I haven’t been thinking about them too much :wink:
Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Hi @Hajora0505

From the A-level subjects you have stated, they give you a good chance of getting into pharmacy!

A Levels in Chemistry and at least one further science subject from Biology, Maths or Physics. Chemistry A Level is essential. If you are not studying Biology, then Maths or Physics are accepted. The endorsement for practical work is an essential part of Science A Level study, and is a requirement for entry to the degree course.

You may want to visit https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/pharmacy-mpharm for more information :smile:

I hope this helps!

This helps a lot thanks!
Reply 11
Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Hi @Hajora0505

I hope this helps!

Hey Aaliya do you know what the salaries are in pharmacy
Original post by sam696
Hey Aaliya do you know what the salaries are in pharmacy

Hi @sam696

The salary of a pharmacist varies depending on what level they are at in their career and the environment they work in.

The salaries for foundation year students can range from £16,000 to over £20,000.

Starting salaries for community pharmacists can start from £30,000 and with experience can rise to £45,000. If a pharmacist were to take on more responsibility within management the salary can range from £50,000 to £70,000.

The pay for pharmacists who work in a hospital setting is based on the Agenda for Change pay structure. This structure incorporates defined pay bands.
Newly qualified pharmacists start on Band 6 in which salaries range from £32,306 to £39,027. Salaries for band 7 pharmacists range from £40,057 to £45,839. Salaries for pharmacists on Bands 8a to 8d range from £47,126 to £90,387.
Band 9 pharmacists are known as chief pharmacists and can earn between £93,735 and £108,075.

I hope this helps :smile:
Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions!
Aaliya ~ 3rd year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield

Heya!
I do pharmaceutical formulation degree :smile: For pharmacy you would need Chemistry (a must) and Biology or Maths or Physics (at least at UCL). Having STEM a-levels should be good enough to cover a lot of pharma-related degrees!
There are tons of degrees in which you can earn high - don't make it your primary goal! You'll need to enjoy the degree you will be doing as well. If you enjoy a lot of chemistry (like me), then pharma-related degree would be good! If you enjoy history more and despise chemistry, then perhaps look into other options :smile: In life sciences right now, it's also popular to go with consulting or sales jobs in pharma-related industries.

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest