The Student Room Group

Hazard Perception Confusion - Driving Theory Test

Hi all,

I have my driving theory test 2 weeks today. I have the 4 in 1 app and have ran through all 700 questions, just trying to do refreshers daily.

However with the hazard of perception, when really is the best time to click?

I've heard many things about how it's best to click asap after seeing the hazard while others say to wait a few seconds after you've seen it. How many times are you actually allowed to click for each video?

It's overall very confusing as everyone is saying different things.

Any advice for this and the test in general would be appreciated, really nervous! Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The way I learned it was to click as soon as I noticed a hazard, and then click again 2 seconds later just in case I was just out of the timeframe.

I know that if you click too many times within a set time period then that's a fail.

hope this helps!
Original post by Sophie462
Hi all,

I have my driving theory test 2 weeks today. I have the 4 in 1 app and have ran through all 700 questions, just trying to do refreshers daily.

I've heard many things about how it's best to click asap after seeing the hazard while others say to wait a few seconds after you've seen it. How many times are you actually allowed to click for each video?

Any advice for this and the test in general would be appreciated, really nervous! Thanks!

As the previous person said - click as soon as you possibly can. If you wait a couple of seconds then you'll likely score 0 points for the hazard. Then click one to two more times over the course of the hazard just to make sure you've at least gotten some points for it in case you were too early the first time. This is what I did and I only lost a few marks on the hazard perception overall on my real theory test back in April.
And don't be nervous - if you've answered all 700 questions you'll know them almost like the back of your hand. The questions they ask in the real thing are basically exactly the same as the practice ones, just worded slightly differently. Just pick the "sensible" answer, which is usually just to give way / slow down, leave plenty of room, or use dipped headlights, and you should be absolutely fine. Also make sure you've learnt your road signs and all the questions on the legal side of things, such as tax, MOTs, and insurance. I think I scored 49/50 on the question section of the exam, so if you want help on the specifics of anything, I'll be happy to provide that.
When is your theory test btw? Don't stress about it too much on the days leading up to it, it's nowhere near as bad as you're probably thinking it will be. I can give you the full rundown of everything I had to do that day if you'd like to know the procedure to calm your nerves. Good luck anyway! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by BlueBazooka
As the previous person said - click as soon as you possibly can. If you wait a couple of seconds then you'll likely score 0 points for the hazard. Then click one to two more times over the course of the hazard just to make sure you've at least gotten some points for it in case you were too early the first time. This is what I did and I only lost a few marks on the hazard perception overall on my real theory test back in April.
And don't be nervous - if you've answered all 700 questions you'll know them almost like the back of your hand. The questions they ask in the real thing are basically exactly the same as the practice ones, just worded slightly differently. Just pick the "sensible" answer, which is usually just to give way / slow down, leave plenty of room, or use dipped headlights, and you should be absolutely fine. Also make sure you've learnt your road signs and all the questions on the legal side of things, such as tax, MOTs, and insurance. I think I scored 49/50 on the question section of the exam, so if you want help on the specifics of anything, I'll be happy to provide that.
When is your theory test btw? Don't stress about it too much on the days leading up to it, it's nowhere near as bad as you're probably thinking it will be. I can give you the full rundown of everything I had to do that day if you'd like to know the procedure to calm your nerves. Good luck anyway! :smile:

Today I failed my test! :frown: I scored 42/50
I got 59/75 on Hazard Perceptions! :frown:

Any tips or advice would help.

I found some questions to be so odd that were not on the blue DVSA Theory Kit. On this app I kept scoring 50s consecutively and I felt confident when I entered the test, I found some questions that I had not covered at all.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by MissCarter786
Today I failed my test! :frown: I scored 42/50
I got 59/75 on Hazard Perceptions! :frown:

Any tips or advice would help.

I found some questions to be so odd that were not on the blue DVSA Theory Kit. On this app I kept scoring 50s consecutively and I felt confident when I entered the test, I found some questions that I had not covered at all.

What kinds of questions did you struggle with? And what do you think went wrong in the hazard perception - was it your reaction time, awareness, strategy?
What kinds of questions did you struggle with? And what do you think went wrong in the hazard perception - was it your reaction time, awareness, strategy?

I think Im okay with Hazard Perception, I dedicated less revision time to HP and more to the Theory Test, I kept getting 50s consecutively on the theory app DVSA, but still managed to faiil lol.

Pass mark for HP was 44 - So I did pass fairly well for HP
Just the theory let me down! That 1 mark!

My weak sections as per todays report are:
Safety and your vehicle/Motorcycle (1 wrong)
Rules of the road (3)
Vehicle/Motorcye Handling (1)
Road signs and Traffic (2)
Accidents (1)
(edited 1 year ago)
I think Im okay with Hazard Perception, I dedicated less revision time to HP and more to the Theory Test, I kept getting 50s consecutively on the theory app DVSA, but still managed to faiil lol.

Pass mark for HP was 44 - So I did pass fairly well for HP
Just the theory let me down! That 1 mark!

My weak sections as per todays report are:
Safety and your vehicle/Motorcycle (1 wrong)
Rules of the road (3)
Vehicle/Motorcye Handling (1)
Road signs and Traffic (2)
Accidents (1)

Oh right OK, I thought you didn't pass the HP because of the sad face in your last post lol. But at least you're sorted with that - if you passed that well on it the first time, you'll pass it the next time with minimal extra practice.

As for the theory questions, you were only one mark off, so I think if you try again you'll easily be able to pass by the time you have another go, as long as you keep up with them and do one practice test per day. Definitely focus more on the Rules of the Road too ofc. That was probably my weakest section, along with essential documents, as there are just so many facts and laws that you have to learn. For most of the other questions you can just use your common sense however.

During your actual test, can you remember any questions in particular that tripped you up? Maybe you could describe your reasoning as to why you chose a specific answer, and I can go through with you why a different answer would be more appropriate. Some questions are very subtle and have seemingly two good options to go for, but there's a discrete reason as to why you'd go for one over the other. Understanding everything in depth, and knowing WHY doing one thing is wrong but doing something else is correct, is the key to passing your theory test. It can definitely take some time though.
Oh right OK, I thought you didn't pass the HP because of the sad face in your last post lol. But at least you're sorted with that - if you passed that well on it the first time, you'll pass it the next time with minimal extra practice.

As for the theory questions, you were only one mark off, so I think if you try again you'll easily be able to pass by the time you have another go, as long as you keep up with them and do one practice test per day. Definitely focus more on the Rules of the Road too ofc. That was probably my weakest section, along with essential documents, as there are just so many facts and laws that you have to learn. For most of the other questions you can just use your common sense however.

During your actual test, can you remember any questions in particular that tripped you up? Maybe you could describe your reasoning as to why you chose a specific answer, and I can go through with you why a different answer would be more appropriate. Some questions are very subtle and have seemingly two good options to go for, but there's a discrete reason as to why you'd go for one over the other. Understanding everything in depth, and knowing WHY doing one thing is wrong but doing something else is correct, is the key to passing your theory test. It can definitely take some time though.

Thank you so much, I totally agree.
I have started to use other apps and websites other than just stick to one, I find Right Driver (Website) has a diverse range of questions that have appeared in my test today as compared to the DVSA app.

I agree with your final point aswell, I revised so much from the DVSA app where it became more like memorising the answers and this was the reason why I was solely gaining high marks on the app.

However, I do take it as a positive that I failed and experience, before I was feeling quite down and bad since it was 1 mark and everyone usually passes their theory first instant (well thats what everyone says). For me personally bad nerves and second guessing myself was why I failed.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thank you so much, I totally agree.
I have started to use other apps and websites other than just stick to one, I find Right Driver (Website) has a diverse range of questions that have appeared in my test today as compared to the DVSA app.

I agree with your final point aswell, I revised so much from the DVSA app where it became more like memorising the answers and this was the reason why I was solely gaining high marks on the app.

However, I do take it as a positive that I failed and experience, before I was feeling quite down and bad since it was 1 mark and everyone usually passes their theory first instant (well thats what everyone says). For me personally bad nerves and second guessing myself was why I failed.

Maybe also try https://www.theorytestpro.co.uk/
I used it and managed to score 49/50 on the practical exam just by doing all 700 questions they have.
Maybe also try https://www.theorytestpro.co.uk/
I used it and managed to score 49/50 on the practical exam just by doing all 700 questions they have.

Thank you!

Today I downloaded the 4 in 1 app and I already had the DVSA app.

Is this website free or did you have to pay?

(Do you have any tips for calming down/bad nerves). How did you feel?
Thank you!

Today I downloaded the 4 in 1 app and I already had the DVSA app.

Is this website free or did you have to pay?

(Do you have any tips for calming down/bad nerves). How did you feel?

I believe it's free to use? My instructor signed me up for it and I've never had to pay or anything. If you check it out and find you need a subscription or something however, I'll gladly give you my login details as I don't need to use the site anymore.

I'd say just realise that it's far from the end of the world if you fail. It's happened once, so you know what to expect, and it was only barely a fail at that. I highly doubt that you'll fail again, so have faith in yourself. I definitely recommend if you're nervous using the entire allotted time between the theory and hazard perception parts of the exam to just breathe, relax, and go through some practice scenarios in your head - tell yourself how you'd deal with them and what kinds of things you should be expecting to show up.
You likely will be quite nervous during the test, you probably know that already after the first one, but you don't have to bare it for long, and again, I highly doubt you won't pass the next time around with how much preparation it sounds like you've done and considering how close you were the first time. However, certainly the more you know, the more you feel you know, and the less reason you have to be worried. So keep up the hard work and preparation, as that will only serve to boost your courage walking into the test room.
I believe it's free to use? My instructor signed me up for it and I've never had to pay or anything. If you check it out and find you need a subscription or something however, I'll gladly give you my login details as I don't need to use the site anymore.

I'd say just realise that it's far from the end of the world if you fail. It's happened once, so you know what to expect, and it was only barely a fail at that. I highly doubt that you'll fail again, so have faith in yourself. I definitely recommend if you're nervous using the entire allotted time between the theory and hazard perception parts of the exam to just breathe, relax, and go through some practice scenarios in your head - tell yourself how you'd deal with them and what kinds of things you should be expecting to show up.
You likely will be quite nervous during the test, you probably know that already after the first one, but you don't have to bare it for long, and again, I highly doubt you won't pass the next time around with how much preparation it sounds like you've done and considering how close you were the first time. However, certainly the more you know, the more you feel you know, and the less reason you have to be worried. So keep up the hard work and preparation, as that will only serve to boost your courage walking into the test room.

Thank you a million :frown: I will let you know if I am able to sign up for it.
Words of encouragement mean so much to me, I will be reading this throughout my entire revision, I am booked next for Sept 8th!

I have just done another test, again I am getting above 43s

I just got another 46 and didn't fail at all today (on my mocks).
Still don't understand how I performed badly today! eeek
Next time it is!
I have just done another test, again I am getting above 43s

I just got another 46 and didn't fail at all today (on my mocks).
Still don't understand how I performed badly today! eeek
Next time it is!

Me neither, I have no idea what happened on the day but it's seeming more and more like a case of bad luck. What questions did you get wrong btw? Do you understand why you got them wrong?

And yes, I'm pretty certain you're gonna have no trouble on the next attempt by the sounds of things. :smile:
Me neither, I have no idea what happened on the day but it's seeming more and more like a case of bad luck. What questions did you get wrong btw? Do you understand why you got them wrong?

And yes, I'm pretty certain you're gonna have no trouble on the next attempt by the sounds of things. :smile:

Are the same questions likely to come again? I have booked the test in the same centre, or are they bound to change each time?

I’ll tell you the questions tomorrow since I’m off to bed now :smile:

thank you so much once again! You are really lovely! Speak to you tomorrow!! :smile:
Are the same questions likely to come again? I have booked the test in the same centre, or are they bound to change each time?

I’ll tell you the questions tomorrow since I’m off to bed now :smile:

thank you so much once again! You are really lovely! Speak to you tomorrow!! :smile:

The questions are likely to change since they have a bank of about 700 of them which randomly come up unfortunately.

OK, goodnight, speak to you tomorrow! You're lovely too. :smile:
And I pm'd you, so if you'd still like to access theorytestpro you can reply to that. I don't mind, there may be better resources that you've already found, in which case definitely use those.
Hi all,

Hii,
I passed my driving theory recently after a second take
for multiple choice, I got 43/50 and for Hazard Perception is 52/75
For multiple-choice I got the 4 in-1 apps and paid 4.99 for extra questions, it's definitely worthwhile they have games/questions and hazard clips
The best way to pass theory is to CLICK AS SOON AS YOU SEE THE HAZARD the earlier the better ( developing hazards) and click again if it poses a risk.
There's no limit to how many times you can click on each video, but clicking more often doesn't guarantee a higher score, only click when there are hazards e.g. someone in the distance crossing the road.
Just keep practicing and watch reviews on HP ( it's on the 4.99 apps)

I don't know if any of this made sense but you're are going to do so great, Good luck!
Reply 17

Thanks for the response and advice!
My theory is Monday the 5th of September in the evening, unsure what to expect on the day just playing it by ear.
I'm trying to do a couple mock tests everyday on the 4 in 1 app, so I can improve. I do need to run over the legal side of things along with reflective stud colours, arm signals and when to use different car lights.
I heard a few people scoring very high in the hp by clicking a good 5 times after seeing the hazard however I'm worried of clicking too much! Will try click as soon as I see it and then once or twice a few seconds afterwards.
Thanks!
The questions are likely to change since they have a bank of about 700 of them which randomly come up unfortunately.

OK, goodnight, speak to you tomorrow! You're lovely too. :smile:
And I pm'd you, so if you'd still like to access theorytestpro you can reply to that. I don't mind, there may be better resources that you've already found, in which case definitely use those.

The questions that came up to me that were quite alien to me as I did not get these on the DVSA app, however these do come on different apps/websites and I just realised now after I failed.

There was a question about level crossing and how someone would approach it e.g.; "life the gates up call the operator" / "lift one side of the gate" "drive through and then close the gate" . I didn't know this at all, I came home and saw there was a YouTube video.

Some were about the left hand lane who is it used for, the choices were "slow vehicles" "overtaking" "emergency" "All vehicle"
i selected All vehicles, hope this was correct because overtaking is for right hand lane, all other vehicles should be in the left and it doesn't make sense for emergency services to use the left hand lane either.

And there was a road sign which I got right at first then I flagged it and changed it (Due to bad nerves and second guessing myself) it was the no waiting sign and I clicked No stopping due to the fact they have the same colour and line :frown: I would have passed if i left this as it was!

And another question was like "If there's bright sun glare and thats affecting your vision how would you react" I chose the option that said .. (I haven't worded it 100%, but this is the one I selected)/ Drive when the sun goes down at a different time when the glare is less hahaha this is not the correct wording but you must get what I mean, i tried my best loool
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks for the response and advice!
My theory is Monday the 5th of September in the evening, unsure what to expect on the day just playing it by ear.
I'm trying to do a couple mock tests everyday on the 4 in 1 app, so I can improve. I do need to run over the legal side of things along with reflective stud colours, arm signals and when to use different car lights.
I heard a few people scoring very high in the hp by clicking a good 5 times after seeing the hazard however I'm worried of clicking too much! Will try click as soon as I see it and then once or twice a few seconds afterwards.
Thanks!

Good luck! Mines booked for the 8th!! You got this! Read through my posts if you like as someone who has failed once by a mark x

Quick Reply

Latest