The Student Room Group

What can I do in a gap year?

Not too sure what I can do apart from apply to jobs, but even this is hard to get, any tips on getting jobs or even just on what types of things I can do in this year?
Original post by ayesha_15
Not too sure what I can do apart from apply to jobs, but even this is hard to get, any tips on getting jobs or even just on what types of things I can do in this year?

What do you plan to do after your gap year?

Voluntary work in a field that interests you. Work as an intern in your chosen field - money will probably be very bad but the experience might be worth it.

internships would be good :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by NoLimitAH
What do you plan to do after your gap year?

Re-apply to uni, I’m also retaking one of my subjects.
Re-apply to uni, I’m also retaking one of my subjects.

but what do you want to do at UNi?

Hi there!

Taking a gap year between A levels and Uni can be a great way to gain work experience and find volunteering opportunities in field you are interested in. Not only will this help develop skills like organisation and time management which will be very useful for uni, it can be the perfect opportunity to enhance your CV.
I would definitely recommend taking some time to plan your gap year and think about what your goals are. Do you want to travel? Make money? Gain work experience? Explore potential career paths? An idea would be to create a mind map or spreadsheet with some ideas of what you might like to do or which skills you want to enhance. The Ucas website has a list of potential ideas for your gap year and there are also links to some volunteering opportunities. Here is the link if you are interested: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life/gap-year/gap-years-ideas-and-things-think-about

I had a friend who took a gap year and she wanted to travel whilst also making money. There are many jobs/internships abroad such as house sitting, au pair, working in holiday camps, waitressing etc that can range from short and long term trips. Depending on the job, accommodation may also be included so you would only have to worry about flights. This is definitely something that requires some research though :smile:

If you know what you want to study at uni then you can use the year to read some research papers/books that link to your course. You could also read over some of the modules to see if you are certain that you want to study that course. It's also a good idea to spend some time researching into careers that interest you and looking at the qualifications/pathway needed. I know so many people who rushed into uni without researching which degree was needed for the field they wanted to work in and they ended up having to do a conversion course.

You could also do some courses that interest you like learning a new language, playing an instrument, enrolling in an online course etc. It's important that you also use your gap year to explore hobbies and do things that actually interest you. Just remember you are not alone and there are many groups on facebook and other social media networks where you can connect with people who are also taking a gap year. This might also be a great way of finding out what others are doing and getting some general ideas.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck with your gap year and have fun!!

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep:biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by NoLimitAH
but what do you want to do at UNi?

Optometry hopefully or if not, maybe something healthcare related
Reply 8
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hi there!

Taking a gap year between A levels and Uni can be a great way to gain work experience and find volunteering opportunities in field you are interested in. Not only will this help develop skills like organisation and time management which will be very useful for uni, it can be the perfect opportunity to enhance your CV.
I would definitely recommend taking some time to plan your gap year and think about what your goals are. Do you want to travel? Make money? Gain work experience? Explore potential career paths? An idea would be to create a mind map or spreadsheet with some ideas of what you might like to do or which skills you want to enhance. The Ucas website has a list of potential ideas for your gap year and there are also links to some volunteering opportunities. Here is the link if you are interested: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life/gap-year/gap-years-ideas-and-things-think-about

I had a friend who took a gap year and she wanted to travel whilst also making money. There are many jobs/internships abroad such as house sitting, au pair, working in holiday camps, waitressing etc that can range from short and long term trips. Depending on the job, accommodation may also be included so you would only have to worry about flights. This is definitely something that requires some research though :smile:

If you know what you want to study at uni then you can use the year to read some research papers/books that link to your course. You could also read over some of the modules to see if you are certain that you want to study that course. It's also a good idea to spend some time researching into careers that interest you and looking at the qualifications/pathway needed. I know so many people who rushed into uni without researching which degree was needed for the field they wanted to work in and they ended up having to do a conversion course.

You could also do some courses that interest you like learning a new language, playing an instrument, enrolling in an online course etc. It's important that you also use your gap year to explore hobbies and do things that actually interest you. Just remember you are not alone and there are many groups on facebook and other social media networks where you can connect with people who are also taking a gap year. This might also be a great way of finding out what others are doing and getting some general ideas.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck with your gap year and have fun!!

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep:biggrin:

Thank you that’s been really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest