Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start planning for next summer a trip around I'm thinking Oz, NZ, thailand, US and canada. Thing is it's only going to be about a 2 n a half month trip between exams and uni.

Any one done similar short intensive trips? How did you find it? Any recommendations on re-thinking the destination?

taaa

ReputationRep:
    Wow good luck with the planning and have fun
    (I've never done this before so I wouldn't know)

ReputationRep:
    I did a similar trip with my family a few years ago- Canada, LA, Hawaii, NZ, Sydney and singapore in 6/7 weeks. It was one of the most brilliant and most exhausting experience of my life! I would recomend that you go around that way (Canada and US first) because apparently the jet lag is alot easier to deal with than if you went around the other way.
    Good luck with planning and I hope you have an amzing trip
    Just try and make the most of every moment- see and experience as much as you possibly can.

ReputationRep:
    You travelled before?

ReputationRep:
    You could easily spend 2 and a half months in each of those countries, let alone go to them all in that period. You've got about 10 weeks and 5 countries to play with, so you're looking at just under 2 weeks per country when you take away travelling between the destinations which is at least one 'wasted' day each time due to airport games and jet lag.

Obviously this is 'do-able' but you will only be able to visit a couple of places in each country. I'd say 3 would be pushing it because you have to travel between the two. Remember these are huge countries, you can't just jump on a train and be at the other end in a few hours like in the UK. Travelling from NY to LA takes the best part of a day as the flight time is similar to a trans atlantic flight. Even if you only visited 2 places in each country you'd have about 5/6 days in each place which isn't a lot at all. In my experience it takes 1 or 2 days to get yourself sorted out and in the new location frame of mind, then you do 2 or 3 days of sightseeing/tourist stuff followed by a 'do nothing' day of chilling, then do a couple more touristy things depending on the location. This is easily the best part of a week and thats really skimming a city. I've been to New York four times in the last few years and have spent about a month and a half there in total and I still haven't done everything there is to do in Manhattan let alone the other boroughs!

I would reccommend only visiting half of the countries on your list, as otherwise, yes you will have been to 5 places, but you also run the risk of seeing very little of each place and not really experiencing anywhere. Which might end up to be a waste of a few grand!

Obviously, as the other poster who did a similar trip has said, if you plan well then you can have a great time. So I'm not suggesting not to do it as its completely impossible, as its not. I'm merely pointing out that your time period isn't really enough to do justice to one country let alone five.

ReputationRep:
    Same opinion as oxymoronic, worth trying to convince you? Imo, RTW in 2 months is an utter waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    It's very ambitious. I'd say don't do it - I think flexibility is the key to great travels

ReputationRep:
    I'm just scared I'll never get a chance to do it again. Definately worth re-thinking or trying to extend it as much as possible. Thanks for all your advice anyway!!

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to do it, you will make time to do it. Don't rush it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curtis)
    I'm just scared I'll never get a chance to do it again. Definately worth re-thinking or trying to extend it as much as possible. Thanks for all your advice anyway!!
    If you want to travel you'll do it. Trust me. Once you get into the whole travelling thing you will take up any chance you get to go somewhere. I would consider going to either North America or to Australia and New Zealand, taking in Thailand on the way there or back if you so wished. Then you're in a global region and its easier in that respect.

Yes you might get a bit cheaper ticket if you did it all at the same time, but part of travelling is really seeing and appricating a country which you won't do if you only go to one or two places in it. Remember you're still young (at least I am assuming you are) and you've got your life ahead of you to go to other places. I went to the USA and Canada in my first summer of uni, and then Asia in my second year. You will have a much better experience if you don't attempt to do everything in such a short period.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.