Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

An i right to be feeling distant from my boyfriend? watch

ReputationRep:
    I see him once a week despite him living 20 minutes away. 3 months ago he took on a bar job 5 nights a week that put an end to any evening meals or staying at each others houses, but i understood, he needed the money. But now hes taken on a full time christmas job in retail as well and just assumed that id be fine with the new arrangements. i thought id deal with it cos i know he needs money, but then he spends it all. last night he went out with a load of people from work and spent a significant amount, half of it borrowed, then instead of perhaps coming to see me on his day off hes in nursing a hangover. but on my one day a week off im expected to not make any other plans, because otherwise i wouldn't see him for two weeks! he doesn't bother to use any money to buy credit to contact me, and instead i call him daily only to get a 5 minute conversation.

to make it worse hes always going on about this girl at work that girl at work. pfft. they see him more than i do.

this arrangement is only till january, but then i'll have exams as well to deal with. i don't think i can go on like this.

opinions anyone? i find myself wondering if i should end it.

ReputationRep:
    anyone? *sigh* i don't know if im overreacting, or should find someone more considerate and less of a willyhead really.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Tell him how you feel; he won't know unless you tell him!

haha, willyhead. but emm yeah, I think you maybe should move on. But only if you actually think you could handle not having him around at all. Everyone seems to be breaking up nowadays! Good luck (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fantasystar38)
    anyone? *sigh* i don't know if im overreacting, or should find someone more considerate and less of a willyhead really.
    I think maybe it IS a bit of an over reaction, but then, I can't say I wouldn't be the same.

You can't berate him for spending time at work and things, he does need the cash as you said. I reckon your best bet is to tell him how you're feeling! He might not realise, and he's leading a different type of life to you right now.

Discuss it, and see what happens, that's all I can say, really. Sorry I can't be much more help

No your perfectly right in being annoyed and feeling distant from him

He is putting no effort in and is causing more stress than you need right now

My advice would be either sit him down and talk it through, and if he wont do that I'd say strongly consider endig it coz you do deserve better

IMO i wouldn't stay woth someone who treated me like that, I don't see why anyone deserves to be treated like that especially by your boyfriend

You've put up with enough

Do what is right for you ok?

ReputationRep:
    He's not giving you the attention you deserve tbh...if I was in this situation I'd be thinking about whether the relationship has any future.

Either he doesnt realise how bad you're feeling and maybe he'll be ashamed when he realises how much he's been neglecting you, or alternatively he is drifting away from you and the relationship is coming to its natural end.

Before you make any decisions, you REALLY need to talk to him...let him know what you're feeling.

Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    mmmm. men can be so oblivious. u need to have a chat about things before u make any big decisions, and take it from there? good luck. xx

ReputationRep:
    men totally don't have a clue unless you spell it out to them.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, you definitely need to talk to him. He sounds pretty useless, really.

ReputationRep:
    You need to speak to him, he most probably doesn't realise that he's doing it. As for this girl he's keeping on about, ask him why he's going on about her all the time. You need to speak to each other, as this is vital if you want to make a relationship work.

ReputationRep:
    OK why are letting this boy have all the power in this relationship? This happens too often with young girls. You are "expected" to not do anything on your day off? Wtf? Why? Cos he's too busy doing whatever he wants on his day off and otherwise you wouldn't see him? Maybe you should make plans on that day and then let him spend his day off seeing you instead? You call him everyday and he never calls you? Uh, stop calling him and let him spend £10 to speak to his girlfriend? He is not gonna change his behaviour cos why would he? He's getting to do whatever he wants and have his girlfriend loyally waiting at home for him and calling him everyday. Stop letting him have all this power. Relationships are about compromise, working together, not being a doormat and being taken for granted.

ReputationRep:
    He doesn't sound like he cares about you.

To me a relationship means that you do everything you can to see the other person because you aren't complete until you've spent time with them.

ReputationRep:
    He's cheating on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ßlαcksωαn)
    He's cheating on you.
    i laughed at that!

thing is he says the sweetest things, but i guess actions speak louder than words right. he bought me a slinky as well. hmmm maybe thats not romance.
    one things for damn sure, im not calling him tonight or tomorrow.

im applying to med school as well, got two interview woo, so im really really occupied and i don't have the time to be worrying about him.

btw theres no girl in particular, though one annoys me more than the others because she blatently flirts with him, she even took a picture of the two of them and put little stars around it-shes known him 3 months! its just he says oh i was taling to this girl who said....and i frankly don't care what she said.

it doesn't look good does it, but when we're together its all i love you, i couldn't live without you.

i told him i feel like a part time girlfriend and he was 'hurt' becaus ehe thinks about me all the time :shifty:

i laughed at that!

thing is he says the sweetest things, but i guess actions speak louder than words right. he bought me a slinky as well. hmmm maybe thats not romance.
    one things for damn sure, im not calling him tonight or tomorrow.

im applying to med school as well, got two interview woo, so im really really occupied and i don't have the time to be worrying about him.

btw theres no girl in particular, though one annoys me more than the others because she blatently flirts with him, she even took a picture of the two of them and put little stars around it-shes known him 3 months! its just he says oh i was taling to this girl who said....and i frankly don't care what she said.

it doesn't look good does it, but when we're together its all i love you, i couldn't live without you.

i told him i feel like a part time girlfriend and he was 'hurt' becaus ehe thinks about me all the time :shifty:
    Good luck with your interviews, tbh I'd make that your priority for the moment, its important. nd he may think about you all the time, but it doesn't counteract his actions. Yes he's busy but he doesn't to make much effort to make up for not seeing you.

Don't ring him for a few days, just send a text for once (if you want, just incase he freaks) and arrange a time to meet and say that you really do need to talk thngs through. In a private sheltered place if poss where its quiet. And explain that you wnt to have your say and let you finish before he has his say. If he can't do that then he doesn't respect you as much as he tells you then. Its an act of respect.

ReputationRep:
    I've just set the cat amongst the pigeons.

not called him messaged or txted him today.

and ive arranged to meet a male acquaintance who goes to one of the unis ive applied to on the day of my interview. my boyf dislikes this guy and when he sees our correspondance on facebook he'll be uneasy. so much for being a doormat

i expect he'll call me tomorrow i bet

ReputationRep:
    I've just set the cat amongst the pigeons.

not called him messaged or txted him today.

and ive arranged to meet a male acquaintance who goes to one of the unis ive applied to on the day of my interview. my boyf dislikes this guy and when he sees our correspondance on facebook he'll be uneasy. so much for being a doormat

i expect he'll call me tomorrow i bet
    To be honest, arranging to see other guys to piss him off isnt really going to help the situation; just worsen it. Especially if he doesn't give you the reaction you're after.

ReputationRep:
    well to be fair i wanted to see the dude anyway, its just quite convienient. im going to talk to my boyf on saturday anyhow.

well to be fair i wanted to see the dude anyway, its just quite convienient. im going to talk to my boyf on saturday anyhow.
    Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 18, 2008
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.