The Student Room Group

what is a ‘russel group equivalent’ university

what would count? i’ve googled everywhere what an equivalent university to this prestigious league might be but i’ve not found any useful information anywhere! many adverts for jobs state that they only want russel group graduates or equivalent?
Original post by greentiger
what would count? i’ve googled everywhere what an equivalent university to this prestigious league might be but i’ve not found any useful information anywhere! many adverts for jobs state that they only want russel group graduates or equivalent?

Could you link to these adverts? At least they would know how to spell Russell ...
I would love to see some of these job adverts because I have never heard or encountered this before in my life. I'm pretty sure advertising a role and indicating the applicant should've gone to a particular uni would be inviting all kinds of lawsuits against the company.
What do you mean by “prestigious”? This might be useful: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/what-are-russell-group-universities

St Andrews, but thats better than most russel group unis.

Bath, Loughborough, Sussex, UEA and the like
many adverts for jobs state that they only want russel group graduates or equivalent?

That sounds like something which TSR overachievers wish were true, rather than it being an actual reality.
Original post by Reality Check
That sounds like something which TSR overachievers wish were true, rather than it being an actual reality.

Yup - I'm also awaiting a link to some of these adverts with interest.

They inherited it from a myth on mumsnet.
Some very interesting comments from the ex Head of UCAS regarding Russell Group unis at the weekend..

check out the link users have posted discussing it & it’s misconceptions around it for undergraduate applications, its a lobby group for research funding.

The Russell Group is essentially the large research intensive universities their isn’t an equivalent it’s just what it is.

Very true, i have seen very very few employers specify university preferences (and those that do tend to be far more restricting then blanketing the Russell Group).

I have seen the preference university list Boston consulting use and it is about 10 universities (including UCD & Trinity Dublin so only a select handful of UK unis). But realistically how many graduates get hired into tier-1 management consulting… (I should also add going to a preferred uni was just the start of exceptional attributes they were looking for as well)

I was openly told by a partner at an engineering/technology patent attorney firm in London his preference was 1) Imperial 2) Oxbridge 3) everyone else although they were a very small firm in a fairly niche but competitive industry.

The overwhelming majority of employers prefer just use online situational judgment test & numerical aptitude tests in my experience to filter applications, as well as most large employers are also aware of trying to avoid implicit bias nowadays.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
I would love to see some of these job adverts because I have never heard or encountered this before in my life. I'm pretty sure advertising a role and indicating the applicant should've gone to a particular uni would be inviting all kinds of lawsuits against the company.

I've seen it a lot lol.

https://www dot revolut.com/careers/position/finance-transformation-manager-core-62fdbb40-fe00-4cb4-a68c-213452572bec/

What you'll need
STEM, Finance or Economics Education, graduated with at least 2:1 from a top university/school
Original post by Anonymous
I've seen it a lot lol.

https://www dot revolut.com/careers/position/finance-transformation-manager-core-62fdbb40-fe00-4cb4-a68c-213452572bec/

The company that illegally coerced staff to leave their jobs by threatening to fire them if they didn't leave otherwise in order to lower the number of redundancies they had to announce in press releases during COVID? That's the one you're using to make the point?

Seems you've just made my point for me...

Also a moot point since the most recent headline regarding them is about the company axing graduate roles to cut costs.

Additionally nowhere does it say anything about Russell Group universities nor this fabled "RG equivalent" term. It just says "top unis" which is probably vague enough to slide under employment law issues.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
The company that illegally coerced staff to leave their jobs by threatening to fire them if they didn't leave otherwise in order to lower the number of redundancies they had to announce in press releases during COVID? That's the one you're using to make the point?

Seems you've just made my point for me...

Also a moot point since the most recent headline regarding them is about the company axing graduate roles to cut costs.

Additionally nowhere does it say anything about Russell Group universities nor this fabled "RG equivalent" term. It just says "top unis" which is probably vague enough to slide under employment law issues.

I mean, you said you'd love to see blatant uni discrimination so I gave an example lol. "Top university" is probably even worse than "Russel group or equivalent" since they obviously mean Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial etc.

And I agree these "unicorn startups" are overly cutthroat, have terrible working conditions and have substandard pay in exchange for company shares. But that's besides the point lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending