The Student Room Group

Year 10 Tips

I’m starting year 10 this september; these are my subjects. I want to become a doctor/vet so I need to get really good grades. That being said, in year 9 I had so much personal stuff going on with being in care so my mind wasn’t focused in school, i lacked motivation after missing six months of year 8 because of mitigating circumstances. Any study tips/ revision guides/ revision resources/ revision techniques/websites/ yt channels would be helpful.
For context; I currently am getting 40-50% in my science tests, and in written tests I get 2-5 marks out of 10. In maths I’m barely scraping a pass, and I need at least a six. In English, I feel like my grades stop when it gets to the 7 mark, I always get 5/6 without trying, but when I do try, I still get the same grade. In Geography, I really regret taking it tbh but I’m getting around 40-50%. I’m a spanish ninja according to my spanish teacher as I get 90-100% in the tests, but any revision resources would be helpful. In music, it’s pretty easy from what my friends in the year above have told me, you just do coursework, and I’m learning guitar but I can sing if it’s needed, even though i have crippling performance anxiety. In drama, I don’t feel like I can ever act properly because I get over aware of my body and what i’m doing. I also never sound natural, it does honestly sound fake.
I’m prepared to put all the work and effort and time into getting top grades, so please, all the help is appreciated :smile:
AQA English Lit+Lang
AQA Maths
AQA Combined Science
AQA Geography
AQA Spanish
BTEC Music
BTEC Performing Arts
(edited 1 year ago)
My goodness me! You have had a lot to juggle but good for you for recognising now the work that you need to do. I cannot offer any advice re vet but maybe a little re medicine as my daughter has just got a place for Sept start.
- You know you are going to have to work hard to have a shot at either vet or doc. Put the time in, go to extra after school lessons if your school offers them, there are plenty of you tube on line tutorials for subjects, do not get behind, use your teachers and ask for their help (particularly if you have 1 who you really get on with).
- See if you have any sixth form pupils who would take you under their wing and offer guidance and support (I am sure someone studying med would leap at the chance).
- Focus on getting the GCSE grades first and then go from there.
- I am not sure about combined sciences for medicine - maybe or @GANFYD would be able to offer better advice on this.
- Don't worry too much about confidence issues at the mo. It will come but have faith in yourself.
I wish you luck!
Reply 2
Original post by c.george
I’m starting year 10 this september; these are my subjects. I want to become a doctor/vet so I need to get really good grades. That being said, in year 9 I had so much personal stuff going on with being in care so my mind wasn’t focused in school, i lacked motivation after missing six months of year 8 because of mitigating circumstances. Any study tips/ revision guides/ revision resources/ revision techniques/websites/ yt channels would be helpful.
For context; I currently am getting 40-50% in my science tests, and in written tests I get 2-5 marks out of 10. In maths I’m barely scraping a pass, and I need at least a six. In English, I feel like my grades stop when it gets to the 7 mark, I always get 5/6 without trying, but when I do try, I still get the same grade. In Geography, I really regret taking it tbh but I’m getting around 40-50%. I’m a spanish ninja according to my spanish teacher as I get 90-100% in the tests, but any revision resources would be helpful. In music, it’s pretty easy from what my friends in the year above have told me, you just do coursework, and I’m learning guitar but I can sing if it’s needed, even though i have crippling performance anxiety. In drama, I don’t feel like I can ever act properly because I get over aware of my body and what i’m doing. I also never sound natural, it does honestly sound fake.
I’m prepared to put all the work and effort and time into getting top grades, so please, all the help is appreciated :smile:
AQA English Lit+Lang
AQA Maths
AQA Combined Science
AQA Geography
AQA Spanish
BTEC Music
BTEC Performing Arts

Hey I'm applying to med this September so I may be able to help. You want to be getting grades that allow you to study Maths, Biology and Chemistry at the 6th form that you want to go to. If science is something you're struggling with I would recommend freesciencelessons on youtube (that's the channel name). For questions, physics and maths tutor (it's a free website) is your saviour (ik it says physics and maths but it has the best biology and chemistry questions as well). For English Lit and Language, watch Mr Bruff videos on youtube and add annotations to the texts you study in school. Idk much about the rest of your subjects sorry :/. Overall though I'd say the most important thing is to focus throughout year 10 (cos hardly anyone else will) and make sure you're taking care of yourself. You're in your GCSE years, but it's still important to have fun and go out with friends etc. The fact that you care so much about your GCSEs this early is a very good sign, especially compared to like 60 percent of the country, who don't care. You sound like you have a really good work ethic and I'm sure you'll do amazinly. Good luck and feel free to DM me on here if you want any more specific advice.
Original post by a._5
Hey I'm applying to med this September so I may be able to help. You want to be getting grades that allow you to study Maths, Biology and Chemistry at the 6th form that you want to go to. If science is something you're struggling with I would recommend freesciencelessons on youtube (that's the channel name). For questions, physics and maths tutor (it's a free website) is your saviour (ik it says physics and maths but it has the best biology and chemistry questions as well). For English Lit and Language, watch Mr Bruff videos on youtube and add annotations to the texts you study in school. Idk much about the rest of your subjects sorry :/. Overall though I'd say the most important thing is to focus throughout year 10 (cos hardly anyone else will) and make sure you're taking care of yourself. You're in your GCSE years, but it's still important to have fun and go out with friends etc. The fact that you care so much about your GCSEs this early is a very good sign, especially compared to like 60 percent of the country, who don't care. You sound like you have a really good work ethic and I'm sure you'll do amazinly. Good luck and feel free to DM me on here if you want any more specific advice.

Lovely, useful advice! :smile:
Hey! I’ve just received my GCSE results, and as someone who, in some subjects, did the bare minimum to get through home learning in Year 10 and had to put a fair bit of effort in year 11 to get to where I am now, I’m really happy to try and help you.

As others have said, FreeScienceLessons is a lifesaver, the videos are really condensed and have lots of captions if both reading and listening to info is helpful. For English, I found that doing past papers and questions really helped, particularly if you can give them to your teacher to mark if they’re willing. Feedback is so important in English as it’ll help you improve! Also, make sure you know the context of the works you study to get extra information into your answers. Physics and Maths tutor have a lot of the past papers for English, and its worth brainstorming ideas for Literature essays, even if you don’t get round to writing them all. For maths, if your school has a platform such as MathsWatch or mymaths, make the most of those, particularly the videos and practice questions. If not, Corbett maths is good as there’s a wide range of questions ranging in ability level and videos to accompany them. What I found useful with maths was to try and watch the videos on a challenging topic after the lesson and in time for the next maths lesson, this way I wasn’t too far behind the next lesson. Geography - learn as many small details about case studies as possible, even if it is just the mm of precipitation in upland areas and other small facts, that way you can weave them into answers to show your knowledge.

Good luck for this year! I’m happy to answer any other questions you have!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest