The Student Room Group

unis after first year

hi,
i was wondering if u can switch unis after first year of uni ? like if i was to do engineering at one and switch to another ? what do the requirements tend to be for this ? ive spoken to an engineering graduate who said class sizes usually half after first year

thank you
a lot of unis don't allow you to transfer so it's worth checking with the uni you want to transfer to
Original post by hannahco
hi,
i was wondering if u can switch unis after first year of uni ? like if i was to do engineering at one and switch to another ? what do the requirements tend to be for this ? ive spoken to an engineering graduate who said class sizes usually half after first year

thank you

Sameeee
Hi @hannahco

It may be worth speaking to your head of department if you would like to transfer unis as they can give you guidance and support that may help. Alternatively, it may be worth seeing if there is an advice service in the student union of your current uni as they can give you help and advice around transferring your studies. They offer independent and confidential advice and can help support you in what you would need to do to transfer as well as guide you through the process step by step. This can be useful as it can always be helpful to have someone to check in with and advise you that you are doing the right thing.

I hope this helps

Luke Portsmouth Student Rep
@hannahco transfers usually depend on whether your qualifications match the entry requirements of the course and the availability of places on their course.

To be considered for a transfer, you would need to submit an application through UCAS and include a list of all the qualifications you have, as well as stating the year of entry you are applying for and the reason for the transfer request.

It would be good to first speak to the department or home admissions to find out if there are places available and if they accept transfers on that course.

I recommend that you seek out support in making the right decision with regards to your current study. Your university may have a Student Advice Drop-in Service which offers independent academic advice, or speak with your academic advisor.

I hope this helps.

- Rosie
Short answer: No.

Slightly longer answer: you can do something which looks like transferring by applying through UCAS again (just like you did in year 13, with your GCSE and A level grades) and asking the universities you apply for if they will consider you for direct entry into year 2. The answer is normally "no" even if you are studying the same subject because university course content generally just doesn't line up that well between universities - all the people I know personally who have done this have had to start again with year 1 at the new university. It is not like the US where you can move your credit aroud with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending