Who would/could I get references from? Watch

This discussion is closed.
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I am thinking of applying for a summer job at PGL (an activity centre typey thing) but I would need references and I can't think of 3 referees. I could get a teacher and that's it, as I've never had a job or been a member of a proper society or club. Shall I just not bother?

Oh and the teachers would probably write I am not suitable because I am quiet or something like that. Doomed before I've even begun? Looks like it.

You must provide the name, address and tel/ fax number (and email address where possible) of three people who we can contact for a confidential reference. These must be people who you have been in contact with during the last 18 months and who can give a reference regarding your suitability, experience and skills for this type of work (e.g. coach, youth leader, former employers/ teachers). We will not accept references from friends, family, colleagues or neighbours. All job offers are subject to the receipt of two satisfactory references. Please provide 3 referees.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You could phone them up and explain and ask what they suggest you do?
undiscovered
Rep:
?
I did work experience at a playgroup once, but the staff were horrible and ignored me and left me out and stuff so I would never approach them for a reference EVER, they probably wouldn't even remember me anyway. But that is the most relevant thing I have done.

I shalt contact them I thinkies.
Xulfer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Get 2 different teachers, and a parent?
undiscovered
Rep:
?
Not allowed family! Two teachers seems ... y'know...
Flicker
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
I am thinking of applying for a summer job at PGL (an activity centre typey thing) but I would need references and I can't think of 3 referees. I could get a teacher and that's it, as I've never had a job or been a member of a proper society or club. Shall I just not bother?

Oh and the teachers would probably write I am not suitable because I am quiet or something like that. Doomed before I've even begun? Looks like it.
how about a godparent? or family friend? i use the woman i babysit for, a couple of teachers, and the director of the panto i play for! also i think my child minder did one for me once (she's a family friend now)
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by allisandro)
how about a godparent? or family friend?
We will not accept references from friends, family, colleagues or neighbours
I'm not sure Sian. Have you ever done any babysitting, or any other work experience at all? If you can't think of anyone else, I'm sure two teachers will be fine. Your form tutor and head of year or something
Flicker
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
sorry, didn't read that. i think you should ring and explain, and see if they'll let you use a family friend (of your parents) as a character reference.
Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
Not allowed family! Two teachers seems ... y'know...

Seems what? If you've never had any other jobs, or been in any clubs or anything, then it seems like three teachers or nothing!

The 'Parents Get lost' activity holidays are really demanding on your time and you'd need to have a CRB check done before you could work with kids (which can take ages).

Perhaps you should look for something else this summer;get a bit of experience and then apply again next summer!
Scott-jsa
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Teachers are perfectly fine people to list as referees - some employers will even come to expect it, to some extent, from students and recent graduates.

In fact, it's entirely possible for employers to ask for lecturer referees from degree graduates many years after graduation (within reason).

Nah not at all. You will find that people won't give you a bad reference (in the UK it's illegal to do so).

They can't say you were always late. But they can neglect to say that you were a good timekeeper. But that's a side issue!

I'm sure if you ask your former teachers for a reference for this they will write a suitable one. Being a bit quiet doesn't make you a bad person! Now, if you had been a gun weilding maniac, well that's another story.... :aetsch:

Scott
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.47%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.23%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.29%

Watched Threads