The Student Room Group

alevel options help URGENT

I am already going to do biology, chemistry and maths but I am contemplating whether I should take further maths as well. DO you guys advise for or against this? Does doing 4 actually impact whether universities will accept me or not?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fluffycloud101
I am already going to do biology, chemistry and maths but I am contemplating whether I should take further maths as well. DO you guys advise for or against this? Does doing 4 actually impact whether universities will accept me or not?

Depends on what you want to study at uni
(edited 1 year ago)

i know several people that take maths, some with further, and some without. like the other person said it depends on what you’re planning on doing in the future and what uni you want to go to, however i cant imagine many unis would require it. you should also have a think about how you would be able to handle the workload, as you already have 3 potentially difficult a-levels. if you think you can handle it and it’s something you want to do then go for it! if you find out a few weeks into the year that you don’t like it, most colleges/sixth forms allow you to drop it or change it out anyway
Taking 4 a levels has no effect on whether or not universities will accept you, all it would do is mean for some universities you could afford to drop a grade in your 4th subject e.g if the grades needed are AAA you could get in with AAAB, some would still expect AAAA. Unless you’re planning to do something very maths related at university, further maths isn’t really necessary and I’d recommend to only take it if 1) you’re good at maths and enjoy it 2) it’s going to actually help you in your uni degree. 3 a levels is already a massive amount of work, taking 4 can often impact on your ability to achieve the higher grades.
If your taking a maths based subject at uni taking further maths will be the correct decision

Doing further maths will help you get onto maths based degrees and help your understanding in year 1. Could be useful for subjects like Maths, Economics & Engineering. What do your school say? If they are recommending it then you could at least try it for a few months and see how you get on.
I am planning on doing medicine at university, when my maths teacher found out I wasn't going to take further maths she was shocked and asked me why..... maths is quite easy to me but everyone keeps advising against taking 4 levels
Original post by harrysbar
Doing further maths will help you get onto maths based degrees and help your understanding in year 1. Could be useful for subjects like Maths, Economics & Engineering. What do your school say? If they are recommending it then you could at least try it for a few months and see how you get on.
Yes take it. then just the maths will be easy and you'll get a free alevel
My doctor sibling did biology, chemistry, maths and further maths. I think that is a classic combination for medical students.
I am planning on doing medicine at university, when my maths teacher found out I wasn't going to take further maths she was shocked and asked me why..... maths is quite easy to me but everyone keeps advising against taking 4 levels

You REALLY don’t need further maths for medicine, I got in with bio chem and sociology. I originally wanted to take 4 a levels but the advice I was given was that to be getting into medicine you need to be getting those A*/A grades, taking an extra 4th subject puts that at risk. It’s better to get guaranteed 3A*/A than to potentially risk that by taking on too much work. The time you’d spend taking a 4th a level would be better spent doing UCAT/BMAT revision and getting work experience imo

As someone who did biology, chemistry and maths, you'll probably find that the work load of those 3 subjects is more than enough without taking a 4th subject. It is better to get really good grades in 3 subjects than okay grades in 4. You don't want to spread yourself too thin.

Normally unis only look for grades in 3 subjects/require UCAS points from 3 subjects. Whether you do 3 or 4 won't effect if you're accepted or not, but definitely check the entry requirements of where you'd like to go.

If you really wanted to do further maths, maybe look into doing an AS for just the one year. A friend of mine did maths, chemistry and physics with an AS in further during Year 13.
I wish I'd taken 4 but my college convinced me to only do 3. Choose the 4 that way if you mess up on one/you hate it you can drop it your second year. If you hate it and have no backup you're a bit screwed.

The usual advice is not to take 4 A levels unless 2 of them are maths & further maths

I took 4 Alevels with maths and further maths. I found maths quite easy so it was better to juggle all the other subjects as I could spend less time on maths and prioritize the other subjects. However, I'm studying chemical engineering so it was more useful for me in study FM. As you are definitely set on medicine maybe it would be consider if there would be anything more useful to medicine in the supercurricular sense you could spend your time on.

There's no point in doing FMaths for medicine [I teach Maths].
The usual advice is not to take 4 A levels unless 2 of them are maths & further maths

For medicine FMaths is not always recognised so it is a waste of time :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
For medicine FMaths is not always recognised so it is a waste of time :smile:

Not always recognised or never recognised?
Not always recognised or never recognised?

As you don't know when you start the sixth form which unis you will apply to there is no point in taking an A level which may well be ignored - focus on the three whose grades will be important.

https://amsp.org.uk/resource/medicine-entry-summary
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Muttley79
As you don't know when you start the sixth form which unis you will apply to there is no point in taking an A level which may well be ignored - focus on the three whose grades will be important.

https://amsp.org.uk/resource/medicine-entry-summary

It looks like you are right and if OP is definitely committed to medicine they probably could use their time better elsewhere.
Their maths teacher was probably just shocked because many people taking Maths A level will be considering something like a Maths or Engineering degree where FM is useful and sometimes required.
Thank you for the help everyone, my final decision is to just stick with biology, chemistry and maths and to NOT take further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest