The Student Room Group

Getting to know roommates

How do I get to know new people in uni being a socially awkwardish (shy i suppose) person?
Original post by Anonymous
How do I get to know new people in uni being a socially awkwardish (shy i suppose) person?

Hey :smile:

How are you?

Firstly, I just wanted to say don't worry about feeling shy, there will be so many other people in the same boat as you. Just remember everyone will be wanting to make friends so if you started a conversation with someone they will be more than happy to engage with you. I'd recommend joining a club or society when you start as that way you can meet people with similar interests to you which can make conversation that bit easier. You could also look into volunteering opportunities, part-time work on campus or becoming a student ambassador - all fab ways of meeting new people :smile:

You'll meet people on your course as well, you could even join your uni's applicant and offer holders Facebook group beforehand so you can introduce yourself and get chatting to fellow course mates before you even join your course :smile:

Good luck with your university experience, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time and soon settle in and meet some great people.

Becky

Hi Becky,

Being open to meeting new people and experience what University has to offer is a great first step.
Freshers week is often a great opportunity to find out about new clubs and societies and see if there is anything you can join based on your interests. Sometimes it can be a bit scary when you don't know anyone but freshers and the start of the semester is a great place to start because lots of people are in a similar situation. Aside from societies it is likely that your university/ university union may be holding other events so it might be worth having a look at what is on - many have an online presence where they post information.

Going to class is also a good way to meet new people and likely since they are studying the same as you, then you may have similar interests and connections to start up a conversation. Even just saying hello to the person beside you might start up a conversation.

Try not to stress to much or worry. Lots of people will have similar nerves as you (I know I did). Good luck with Uni !
Catherine :-) (University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador)

Hiya

It's okay, don't worry! I came across this podcast on Spotify called 'Nobody Panic' where 2 women give excellent advice on how to talk to new people without making a weird conversation. I took tips from it, used them and it honestly worked. I used to be scared of talking to new people but after listening to that, I felt more ready. All you have to do is take the first step of going to events (like freshers week, society events etc) and then use the conversation techniques you listen about in the podcast. I promise, it works :smile:

Also, take a door stopper with you to uni. It's amazing for initiating conversations with your hallmates!

-Himieka
(edited 1 year ago)

Hello,

First and foremost, it is completely okay to feel shy when introducing yourself to new people. I was the exact same and there would be many more students in the same boat as you!

There will be many opportunities to communicate with students such as:

Societies - Have a go at joining some society taster sessions! This would give you the opportunity to communicate with like-minded individuals.

Your course - In seminars and lectures, you would get the opportunity to have discussions with your peers, whether it is about work or an ice breaker. Additionally, group chats are a great way to communicate as well!

Accomodation- If you are living with flat mates, try and introduce yourself to them if they walk into the kitchen, or arrange a takeaway night with them to get to know each other! Likewise, they might feel the same.

Overall, there are plenty opportunities to communicate with students.

Have a lovely day,

Olivia (BA History student and the Student Room ambassador)

Hello,

There are already some great points on here but I wanted to add a few things that helped me.

If you live in halls, keep your door open when you move in and don't be afraid to knock on their doors for a chat. If you pop the kettle on, ask if anyone wants a drink or you could watch some television in your kitchen and see if anyone wants to join you. It is these little interactions that go a long way and make living with people seem more familiar.

After my first lecture, I asked the people I had walked with if they would like to come to the shops with me. We had got on well on the way and I needed to pick up an outfit for Freshers. This helped us get to know each other, we had a laugh and now we are all friends since. I even lived with one of them in my second and third year.
My tip here would be brave and invite people to join you. Everyone is in the same boat and so wants to do all they can to make friends.

Invite some people to the Fresher's Fair with you. This is something most people like to go to, you can get lots of freebies and see if you have any common interests with the stalls you look at. There is always a talking point at such a busy event!

Joining a society really helps because the people there have at least two things in common with you: the university and society. It also makes it easier to interact because you have an activity in front of you that can fill any awkward silences (which are very normal at first).

Good luck, I am sure you will surprise yourself!
Lydia :smile:

Hi,
Well done on securing your university place! Going to Uni is scary for so many people, so remember that you're not alone. You can try to introduce yourself to your flat mates to start, creating group chats are also a good way for you to communicate. Personally, when I started Uni, my flat mates and I decided to go out together and you could go anywhere; from town to the pub. This is a good way to get to know each other as you may all be unfamiliar with the area.
Apart from your flat mates, you can consider joining different societies which can help you find people with your same interests. These are usually advertised during your freshers week. Good Luck!
- Malek
Univeristy of Kent Rep
Original post by UniOfLincolnStudent
Hello,

First and foremost, it is completely okay to feel shy when introducing yourself to new people. I was the exact same and there would be many more students in the same boat as you!

There will be many opportunities to communicate with students such as:

Societies - Have a go at joining some society taster sessions! This would give you the opportunity to communicate with like-minded individuals.

Your course - In seminars and lectures, you would get the opportunity to have discussions with your peers, whether it is about work or an ice breaker. Additionally, group chats are a great way to communicate as well!

Accomodation- If you are living with flat mates, try and introduce yourself to them if they walk into the kitchen, or arrange a takeaway night with them to get to know each other! Likewise, they might feel the same.

Overall, there are plenty opportunities to communicate with students.

Have a lovely day,

Olivia (BA History student and the Student Room ambassador)

Thank You so much I'll be sure to keep your advice in mind 🙂😁
Friendship

Quick Reply

Latest