Turn on thread page Beta

Un-mentioned bands (Rock) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Jimmy Eat World and Idlewild are both very good. But I prefer Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    but it was an Artrocker magazine night thing.
    you go to Artrocker's? err, i've probably seen you, I go most tuesdays.

ReputationRep:
    When I argue I See Shapes.........awesome song

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utkucan)
    you go to Artrocker's? err, i've probably seen you, I go most tuesdays.

Haha, not often at all, I'm a penniless creature and I don't want to take the piss when I rely on lifts from my dad for me and my friends from East Croydon

I was at the Art Brut/ The Rocks/ Mando Diao/ The Chalets belated new years Artrocker thing though on the 17th...

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Idlewild have announced some tour dates for April time (according to a housemate they're playing here but I can't find anything about it yet).

ReputationRep:
    April 2005
    5th: Newcastle, Northumbria University
    6th: Liverpool, Royal Court Theatre
    7th: Southampton, Guildhall
    8th: Reading, Hexagon
    10th: Bristol, Carling Academy
    11th: Brighton, Dome
    13th: London, Shepherds Bush Empire
    15th: Folkestone, Leas Cliffe Hall
    17th: Nottingham, Rock City
    18th: Cambridge, Corn Exchange
    19th: Norwich, UEA
    21st: Sheffield, Octagon
    22nd: Stoke, Victoria Hall
    23rd: Manchester, Academy
    24th: Birmingham, Carling Academy
    26th: Leeds, University
    28th: Dublin, Ambassador
    29th: Belfast, Mandela Hall

May 2005
    1st: Aberdeen, Music Hall
    2nd: Glasgow, Barrowland
    3rd: Edinburgh, Usher Hall

Typical. In Bristol when I'm on my residential.

ReputationRep:
    Idlewild will be playing UEA on the 19th of April!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    April 2005
    19th: Norwich, UEA
    Oooh thankyou, thats the second day back after the Easter break, might have to invest in a ticket

EDIT: Thanks babyshambles too!

ReputationRep:
    It's quite annoying. I'm having to miss loads of gigs cos I'm not here over the holidays - Love, The Bluetones, Kaiser Chiefs, British Sea Power and now Idlewild

JIMMY EAT WORLD!!!!! :cool:
    they dissapeared for a while.they've got a new album out,its brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    Idlewild with Bob were better than without.
    I have to say I possibly disagree.
    After seeing them on tuesday and seeing them in 2002 supporting Coldplay (when Bob was still in the band) I think that Gavin is 'better'. He seems to have much more charisma, he looks like he's enjoying him self much more, when I saw Bob, he just stood there looking a bit glum.
    However, I wouldn't know which one is 'better' at playing their instrument.

(Original post by *alicia*)
    When I argue I See Shapes.........awesome song
    Very true.

(Original post by yo-less)
    JIMMY EAT WORLD!!!!! :cool:
    they dissapeared for a while.they've got a new album out,its brilliant!
    What's your favourite Jimmy song then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utkucan)
    hmm, bands i like but not mentioned here..

well there is interpol, the arcade fire, bright eyes, the go! team, the shins, secret machines, the verve, pulp etc
    the arcade fire are absolutely stunning; their ep more so than their album, but I obsessed over my heart is an apple for weeks.

and I've loved the shins for a good two years as well and love them. I'm not as keen on chutes too narrow but the rest of their stuff is mostly amazing and all I listened to spring / summer 2003.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raagyone)
    After seeing them on tuesday and seeing them in 2002 supporting Coldplay (when Bob was still in the band) I think that Gavin is 'better'. He seems to have much more charisma, he looks like he's enjoying him self much more, when I saw Bob, he just stood there looking a bit glum.
    Idlewild were just generally better when Bob was still around (with the exception of The Remote Part which was average at best).
    Captain and Hope Is Important are good but 100 Broken Windows shouldn't be overlooked in an attempt to appear elite; it was a brilliant album imo.
    the new single, on the other hand, is terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marychrist)
    Idlewild were just generally better when Bob was still around (with the exception of The Remote Part which was average at best).
    Captain and Hope Is Important are good but 100 Broken Windows shouldn't be overlooked in an attempt to appear elite; it was a brilliant album imo.
    the new single, on the other hand, is terrible.
    hmm, idlewild have definatly changed from days gone by, but i don't think they've got worse, the song writing in recent albums is much better than captain, (although for me captain was better that remote part IMO) they've just developed all bands change with time. 100 broken windows is their peak for me, still like the old stuff but not overly comerical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raagyone)

Hmm, maybe it's because you saw Idlewild with Bob as a support act.

I saw them twice, both as headliners, and it was the better gig. Not saying I didn't enjoy them after his departure; I'll probably be at the Shepherds Bush empire, but the atmosphere, the songs, the gig, everything was better with Bob. In my opinion.

(Original post by KidA)
    hmm, idlewild have definatly changed from days gone by, but i don't think they've got worse, the song writing in recent albums is much better than captain, (although for me captain was better that remote part IMO) they've just developed all bands change with time. 100 broken windows is their peak for me, still like the old stuff but not overly comerical.

Agreed, 100 broken windows is their best album. The others are top too though.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, not often at all, I'm a penniless creature and I don't want to take the piss when I rely on lifts from my dad for me and my friends from East Croydon

I was at the Art Brut/ The Rocks/ Mando Diao/ The Chalets belated new years Artrocker thing though on the 17th...
    mando diao are brilliant. i saw them at the barfly. Is anyone going on the Camden Crawl on march 10th?? 70 million bands on from 5pm - 3 am :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Garage)
    Who else likes Jimmy Eat World and Idlewild? They rock, but no-one ever mentions them here?
    Yeah I've been into Jimmy Eat World since their album Clarity. I saw the video on MTV or MTV2 (if MTV2 was around back then) for Lucky Denver Mint. It features the band trying to play basketball then ultimate frisbee against some other guys and they fail dismally. Totally frustrated from losing at everything, they bump into a bunch of bodybuilder-type guys and take them on. Great stuff!
    Jimmy Eat World were doing emo before anyone else, and before it meant being a little twerp who looks like he's crapped in his pants.

Their eponymous album is good but very different...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.